Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support an increase in alcohol taxes to fund P.M. transit options?
Yes 14 33.33%
No 24 57.14%
Maybe 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times

Advertisements

Over the holiday, we had a drunk driver hit a group of 20 cyclists(!) from behind (!!!) sending several of them to the hospital. He was literally vomiting in his car on the way and on the side of the street while waiting for the police.

You have to question whether somebody with the irresponsibility to get this drunk in the first place would even think about taking a bus back home, or even getting a free taxi with the existing "emergency ride home" program we have. IMO, the only way to prevent these folks from getting on the road is to actually prevent them from getting on the road, not have it so that the police might catch them, or might not. How? Perhaps we need breathalyzers in every car or something. Maybe start with insurance discounts or rebates from alcohol tax revenue for those who voluntarily install them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One solution to that problem is for the couple not to get wasted. You have to drink several drinks to reach 0.8 BAC.
How would you implement that solution? Would you suggest the bar or restaurant has a 1 drink per hour maximum? Would you implement a 'don't get wasted' campaign and sit back and hope that people take home the message?

I believe (but I could be wrong) that people are more likely to make better decisions when they have more options available to them. For example, why do you think Texas has a DWI fatality rate three times higher than New York's?

Quote:
New York
Total Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities 315
Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities per 100K population 1.6

Texas
Total Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities 1213
Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities per 100K population 4.7

Drunk Driving Statistics by State | Fatalities, Arrests & More

Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
How would you implement that solution? Would you suggest the bar or restaurant has a 1 drink per hour maximum? Would you implement a 'don't get wasted' campaign and sit back and hope that people take home the message?

I believe (but I could be wrong) that people are more likely to make better decisions when they have more options available to them. For example, why do you think Texas has a DWI fatality rate three times higher than New York's?
I was talking more about personal responsibility not to get too drunk to drive.
Blood Alcohol Calculator Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself

Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I don't know about you that live south of the border, but here in Canada we saw a massive reduction in drunk driving offences by instituting strict penalties for doing it. On first offence, you receive a one-year license suspension, a stiff fine and a criminal conviction. Second offence is minimum 30 days in jail, license suspension and escalating fines. IIRC, you require to have a breathalyser be installed in your car's ignition system, and your insurance rates will likely be unaffordable.

Quote:
Irresponsible people will always make irresponsible decisions despite how many options you provide them with. Simply put, you can't fix stupid.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

Irresponsible people will always make irresponsible decisions despite how many options you provide them with. Simply put, you can't fix stupid.

So does that mean New Yorkers are much more responsible than Texans? Or that the options New Yorkers have make a difference?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
One can do it, two is easily sufficient; the "standard drink" they trot out when they're trying to lower BAC levels even further is considerably smaller than many real drinks.
I thought it was three? I thought the standard drink was one normal drink, that's actually stupid to make it smaller as it would mislead people into thinking they can drink more without reaching the BAC thershold.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought it was three? I thought the standard drink was one normal drink, that's actually stupid to make it smaller as it would mislead people into thinking they can drink more without reaching the BAC thershold.
Try the calculator I posted.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NHTSA defines a standard drink as 0.6 oz alcohol. I've seen charts with standard drinks as small as 0.4 oz alcohol (usually phrased as a 1 oz shot, possibly derived from a European "standard drink" of 10g (0.43 oz), which is what is used in Widmark's formula for estimating BAC). A standard 5oz pour of a typical glass of red wine is 0.7 oz alcohol. A pint of beer ranges from a little over half an ounce for light beer to 0.8 oz for a typical microbrew ale (or lowly Bud Ice, 0.88), and can be much higher.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Here in Australia the number of standard drinks have to be printed on the side of the bottle. For instance, the 700 ml bottle of vodka I have says 21 standard drinks. I've never had a beer here that's been less than 1.2 standard drinks and that's only because the bottle was the equivalent of 10 oz.

Most 12 oz bottles of beer are in the 1.4 to 1.6 standard drink range and I'm talking about ales and lagers in the 4.8-6% abv range.

I'm actually against the idea of alcohol taxes going much higher. A little is fine depending the taxes that already exist in your location. Philly already has a restaurant and bar drink tax. It's ridiculous here in Australia. A bottle of liquor or case of beer is typically 80% more here than in the US and most of it is because the government recently instituted a 'sin tax' on beer and liquor (but not wine) to discourage 20 somethings from drinking too heavily. It's had the opposite effect. Because it's so expensive to drink, especially for a night out, kids save their money during the week and go crazy on the weekends.

When i was in my 20s (and early 30s) going down to the pub for a burger and a few beers happened a few nights a week. Maybe on a Friday night I'd have 4 beers instead of 3. Getting wasted on the weekends was for amateurs even though over the course of a week I probably drank more than they did.

I think the tax should depend on the culture of drinking. Binge drinking 20-somethings going to party districts on the weekend are going to be sloppy and prone to violence and should probably be getting in a cab. People drinking at a neighborhood bar a few nights a week are probably walking home anyway and won't be causing much trouble to begin with. I'd rather see those kinds of drink taxes go more towards increased police presence in those areas than increased public transit.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One solution to that problem is for the couple not to get wasted. You have to drink several drinks to reach 0.8 BAC.
Yes that would take a few drinks - and you won't find anyone that level driving, walking, or breathing. 0.3 is blackout territory and 0.45 is considered fatal.

Maybe you meant 0.08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning