U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,220,191 times

Advertisements

Perhaps, though the most transient renters are less likely to vote on local issues. I often choose to ignore local ballot issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Just because a single person owns acreage does not mean that they have to make the whole amount of it a lawn that needs constant mowing. There are other personal uses of land.
Agreed, I don't know why some people do that. Most of the large lot houses keep part of it as woods. I find the "great american prairie" look unappealing. Just seems like space for no purpose, and the privacy advantage is minimal if open.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:27 AM

4,121 posts, read 3,130,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just said: It's easier to persuade renters to vote for higher taxes b/c they don't pay them directly. Some renters think they don't pay them at all, though that is incorrect.
Looking at the high apartment rents of cities like NYC, Boston and San Francisco, one has to wonder how much of the monthly rent goes to cover the city property taxes paid by the owner. It is the same thing with the price of gasoline. Stop and look at the portion that goes to federal and state taxes. Instead of demonizing oil companies and landlords, I think Americans should take a long, hard look at the cost structures within our government entities. Big government makes everything else expensive but that it something colleges refuse to teach.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Looking at the high apartment rents of cities like NYC, Boston and San Francisco, one has to wonder how much of the monthly rent goes to cover the city property taxes paid by the owner. It is the same thing with the price of gasoline. Stop and look at the portion that goes to federal and state taxes. Instead of demonizing oil companies and landlords, I think Americans should take a long, hard look at the cost structures within our government entities. Big government makes everything else expensive but that it something colleges refuse to teach.
NYC property taxes* are lower than their suburbs, so suspect it's not the high. Considering how high the rent is, probably not that much, but I'd have to check.

*Offset by a city income tax, which probably exists since most of the population, including a lot of the wealthy are renters.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM

87,138 posts, read 102,962,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Agreed, I don't know why some people do that. Most of the large lot houses keep part of it as woods. I find the "great american prairie" look unappealing. Just seems like space for no purpose, and the privacy advantage is minimal if open.
You've never lived in the midwest! It's hip in Chicago, from what I've heard.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:43 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,941,717 times
Quote:
You do realize, of course, that there are large swaths of the country actually on the prairie and with no woods to speak of, right?

Old 01-18-2014, 11:43 AM

5,312 posts, read 5,363,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just said: It's easier to persuade renters to vote for higher taxes b/c they don't pay them directly. Some renters think they don't pay them at all, though that is incorrect. This topic comes up time and again. I'd do a search, but then I'd be told I was "dredging up old posts". Some people think (possibly correctly) that home ownership makes one more conservative.

**Government studies in the 1920s concluded a single-family home with a yard and a room for each child was the optimal condition for raising children. This would not only make better Americans, but it would help quell the spread of communism. Home ownership is good for the economy, good for the family, and makes the owner a better citizen. However, most Americans still could not afford a home of their own. (Leach, Halberstam, Jackson)**

The History of Home Ownership in America | Socyberty

Just for the record, I think the quote about communism is funny.
I've never encountered a situation where "urbanists" were calling for higher taxes, and I've never heard of a situation where they were serving an underhanded agenda of increasing the amount of people that rent so they could sneak those taxes by them. I'm not saying it's not a variable that affects people, but I find it hard to believe that there's an agenda by urbanists (who ever they are) to push people to only rent...

As someone who has rented before, owns now, is looking to rent again in a few months, and then own again in a few years...I would be concerned equally about taxes because I know it's going to either directly or indirectly affect me regardless of whether I buy or rent (aka either figured into my mortgage payments or monthly rent).

Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I've never encountered a situation where "urbanists" were calling for higher taxes, and I've never heard of a situation where they were serving an underhanded agenda of increasing the amount of people that rent so they could sneak those taxes by them. I'm not saying it's not a variable that affects people, but I find it hard to believe that there's an agenda by urbanists (who ever they are) to push people to only rent...

As someone who has rented before, owns now, is looking to rent again in a few months, and then own again in a few years...I would be concerned equally about taxes because I know it's going to either directly or indirectly affect me regardless of whether I buy or rent (aka either figured into my mortgage payments or monthly rent).
In my experience, renters do not typically involve themselves in local issues and are markedly less likely to vote for additional taxes than homeowners, either because they are uninformed or because they don't plan to stick around long enough to reap the benefits.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You do realize, of course, that there are large swaths of the country actually on the prairie and with no woods to speak of, right?
Yes, I do. However, I said I find unappealing to space houses out so much it looks like there's a prairie in between. In any case if one had a large lot in a place where trees don't grow, one could let the natural vegetation grow on parts of it rather than mowing all of it. And then have a "real" prairie and some nature.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do. However, I said I find unappealing to space houses out so much it looks like there's a prairie in between. In any case if one had a large lot in a place where trees don't grow, one could let the natural vegetation grow on parts of it rather than mowing all of it. And then have a "real" prairie and some nature.
Ah, I misunderstood your point. My apologies. Thanks for clarifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning