U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 AM
 
1,915 posts, read 2,049,638 times
Reputation: 2192

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
To paraphrase a conversation between a Native American and a Caucasian, who asked: "Why are so many of your songs about water?" "because water is scarce and highly desired. Is that why so many of your songs are about love?" Walkabiliity is scarce and people are getting tired of having to drive everywhere. Even Walmart has taken notice and built neighborhood stores.
Funny you should bring this subject of love up.

I suspect the preponderance of younger (but still adult) single people on this forum has something to do with the preference for "walkable" denser urban neighborhoods. Those are neighborhoods where the singles can mingle in person and not just in cyberspace.

On the other hand, we have the "driveable" suburbs, with their spacious backyards and parks with large soccer or (American) football fields (or baseball diamonds) for the kids to play in. Those are the domain of those who are married with children, with structured play spaces for said children.

Single adult people really don't fit in there at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM
 
2,553 posts, read 2,005,048 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Funny you should bring this subject of love up.

I suspect the preponderance of younger (but still adult) single people on this forum has something to do with the preference for "walkable" denser urban neighborhoods. Those are neighborhoods where the singles can mingle in person and not just in cyberspace.

On the other hand, we have the "driveable" suburbs, with their spacious backyards and parks with large soccer or (American) football fields (or baseball diamonds) for the kids to play in. Those are the domain of those who are married with children, with structured play spaces for said children.

Single adult people really don't fit in there at all.
You're making a huge, unproven presumption that the outer suburbs--and not anything more urban than that--are the proper domain of families. This forum has had this conversation over and over again, and there is nothing mutually exclusive about moderate density and houses, or density and soccer fields/football fields/baseball fields. If anything, a place where you can safely and comfortably bike everywhere, and where your older children can, too, and where many amenities--larger parks, stores, museums, etc.--are within very close proximity (walkable or bikable distance) seems like a far better place to raise children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
You're making a huge, unproven presumption that the outer suburbs--and not anything more urban than that--are the proper domain of families. This forum has had this conversation over and over again, and there is nothing mutually exclusive about moderate density and houses, or density and soccer fields/football fields/baseball fields. If anything, a place where you can safely and comfortably bike everywhere, and where your older children can, too, and where many amenities--larger parks, stores, museums, etc.--are within very close proximity (walkable or bikable distance) seems like a far better place to raise children.
I disagree that "if anything" the cities are better! Those of us who've raised families know the above are not the only criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 PM
bu2
 
9,997 posts, read 6,438,148 times
Reputation: 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
You're making a huge, unproven presumption that the outer suburbs--and not anything more urban than that--are the proper domain of families. This forum has had this conversation over and over again, and there is nothing mutually exclusive about moderate density and houses, or density and soccer fields/football fields/baseball fields. If anything, a place where you can safely and comfortably bike everywhere, and where your older children can, too, and where many amenities--larger parks, stores, museums, etc.--are within very close proximity (walkable or bikable distance) seems like a far better place to raise children.
You're making the assumption that amenities catering to children are in the city. That's not the case everywhere. In Atlanta, you tend to have to go outside the perimeter for many of the amenities (stores, party places, kid friendly restaurants).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 AM
 
2,824 posts, read 3,350,485 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Funny you should bring this subject of love up.

I suspect the preponderance of younger (but still adult) single people on this forum has something to do with the preference for "walkable" denser urban neighborhoods. Those are neighborhoods where the singles can mingle in person and not just in cyberspace.
Ha! No doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
On the other hand, we have the "driveable" suburbs, with their spacious backyards and parks with large soccer or (American) football fields (or baseball diamonds) for the kids to play in. Those are the domain of those who are married with children, with structured play spaces for said children.
Certainly not their exclusive domain - and adults can also play in areas you have described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Single adult people really don't fit in there at all.
There is nothing there that inherently excludes single adults. But if you don't like yards, why don't you make the mistake of purchasing a condo or some other "high density" housing product - or just rent an apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 AM
 
1,915 posts, read 2,049,638 times
Reputation: 2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
You're making a huge, unproven presumption that the outer suburbs--and not anything more urban than that--are the proper domain of families. This forum has had this conversation over and over again, and there is nothing mutually exclusive about moderate density and houses, or density and soccer fields/football fields/baseball fields. If anything, a place where you can safely and comfortably bike everywhere, and where your older children can, too, and where many amenities--larger parks, stores, museums, etc.--are within very close proximity (walkable or bikable distance) seems like a far better place to raise children.
Unproven assumption? How about empirical data and a pair of eyes?

Look at who actually *lives* out in the suburbs, inner or outer, and who seek to buy homes there. And look at the kind of stores that pop up in those suburbs, accommodating of family needs.

And look at where the young students, gays, younger professionals (i.e., people without children, or at least without them yet) congregate. You can't buy bulk diapers and kiddie stuff in most of the gentrified inner cities. They have nifty boutiques, and lots of bars and restaurants, but not a Target or a Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You're (darkeconomist) making the assumption that amenities catering to children are in the city. That's not the case everywhere. In Atlanta, you tend to have to go outside the perimeter for many of the amenities (stores, party places, kid friendly restaurants).
Bingo! The "Chuck E. Cheese" does not appear in the newly gentrified inner cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 11:01 AM
 
2,553 posts, read 2,005,048 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Unproven assumption? How about empirical data and a pair of eyes?
You provided no empirical evidence to support your claim that the "driveable" suburbs the are the "domain of those who are married with children," as if other built forms are not. Yes, many families live in the outer suburbs, but you provided no evidence that this was because they are intrinsically superior and not because of other causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
Reputation: 48173
the vast majority of mugging occur on foot close to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 11:08 AM
 
2,553 posts, read 2,005,048 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You're making the assumption that amenities catering to children are in the city. That's not the case everywhere. In Atlanta, you tend to have to go outside the perimeter for many of the amenities (stores, party places, kid friendly restaurants).
Go back and re-read my post; I said nothing about "the city" and spoke only of proximity to amenities. Tell me, which is ultimately superior for the health and well-being of a family, having to drive everywhere for anything or being able to safely and comfortably walk or bike to a large plurality of amenities? And let's not pretend I suggested that a family couldn't or wouldn't have a car, but it is the difference between having dessert a part of one's diet or central to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
4,896 posts, read 7,657,858 times
Reputation: 4508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the vast majority of mugging occur on foot close to home.
The vast majority of (all?) car-jackings occur to people in their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top