Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,999 times

Advertisements

What cities have you found are typically under-estimated in terms of urbanity? Places that people here on city data and generally tend to not give enough credit to, in terms of how urban they are.

I've got two to start:

San Diego - Now, I'm not saying San Diego is really urban, but I feel people often view it as similar to Phoenix or other super-sprawly sunbelt cities, and I think it is substantially more urban that that. Downtown, Little Italy, Hillcrest, North Park, South Park are all pretty urban and make up a large chunk of the city. Even the beach communities like Pacific Beach of Ocean Beach have walkable, urban cores. There are a lot more street-facing, pedestrian friendly retail and commercial districts than you'd expect. Don't get me wrong, it's in many ways a sprawled-out city, but it has more urban areas and urban elements that people usually give it credit for.

Baltimore - everyone knows Baltimore is urban (to be clear, "urban" in the city-data sense), but I still think it's under-estimated. It is an incredibly urban city with massive rowhouse neighborhoods and a lot of in tact dense infrastructure. Sure, there are issues with rampant poverty, disinvested neighborhoods, and sections that are unsafe or not vibrant, but overall I'd argue Baltimore is one of the most urban cities in the country, easily. It is very walkable and has a ton of great urban amenities.

Last edited by orzo; 03-25-2013 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,276 times
Dallas is a city that is under-estimated when it comes to urbanity which is crazy.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Dallas is a city that is under-estimated when it comes to urbanity which is crazy.
Can you explain how so?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,276 times
My thoughts on Dallas being urban is when you get to downtown Dallas east and west of downtown is really build up and urban from manufacturing corperation's,to condos,apartments,townhomes and a lot of jammed up homes everywhere.Dallas also have suburbs that have of 125,000 people to over half a million people.Dallas downtown heading north on US 75 north is jammed up with major corperation's that have set shop up in North Dallas.Dallas can't be compared to cities that have a simple loop around them like Atlanta or Houston having two because when people visited those cities they can get a glimpse in one day as far as the urbanity of those cities even driving the major corridor of inner part of those cities.DFW is a different ballgame because city extend so far north,east and west until people get mislead by some of the poor pockets of density that the city have like Plano or Irving which are two strongly dense areas.Atlanta may have buck head and downtown but my experience in Atlanta and Houston you have to make it almost to downtown to see anything that is consider somewhat urban but in Dallas you can drive from Mckinney to Downtown Dallas and see so much urbanity

Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
I agree with Baltimore being one of the most urban in the country. I would rank Baltimore's structural density at #5. After NYC, Boston, SF, Philly.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

686 posts, read 1,167,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
My thoughts on Dallas being urban is when you get to downtown Dallas east and west of downtown is really build up and urban from manufacturing corperation's,to condos,apartments,townhomes and a lot of jammed up homes everywhere.Dallas also have suburbs that have of 125,000 people to over half a million people.Dallas downtown heading north on US 75 north is jammed up with major corperation's that have set shop up in North Dallas.Dallas can't be compared to cities that have a simple loop around them like Atlanta or Houston having two because when people visited those cities they can get a glimpse in one day as far as the urbanity of those cities even driving the major corridor of inner part of those cities.DFW is a different ballgame because city extend so far north,east and west until people get mislead by some of the poor pockets of density that the city have like Plano or Irving which are two strongly dense areas.Atlanta may have buck head and downtown but my experience in Atlanta and Houston you have to make it almost to downtown to see anything that is consider somewhat urban but in Dallas you can drive from Mckinney to Downtown Dallas and see so much urbanity
Are you serious? How can you say that you have to get near Downtown Houston before you see anything urban. McKinney is no more urban than these places well away from Downtown Houston. And I might Add Sugar Land, Energy corridor are non-stop continuous Urban development stretching a at least a good 20 miles away from downtown Houston.

Have you been to the Woodlands?

Sugar Land

Energy Corridor near Katy,

Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
^^ The Woodlands feels like a suburban edge city at best. mostly sorounded by very suburban planned communities. While Hosuton definetely has a large swath of development I am not sure I would consider the Woodlands, Katy (not sure I really have any personla feel for Sugar land) etc urban in this sense. Some areas in the loop are getting there and it continues to get better in this regard but the Woodlands is more like the burbs of NOVA than a city in the urban sense

Mid rise office clusters does not make a place urban IMHO, that is not to say living in a place like the Woodlands does not afford a desireable lifestyle than many people desire, just would not really call it urban in this sense

Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^ The Woodlands feels like a suburban edge city at best. mostly sorounded by very suburban planned communities. While Hosuton definetely has a large swath of development I am not sure I would consider the Woodlands, Katy (not sure I really have any personla feel for Sugar land) etc urban in this sense. Some areas in the loop are getting there and it continues to get better in this regard but the Woodlands is more like the burbs of NOVA than a city in the urban sense

Mid rise office clusters does not make a place urban IMHO, that is not to say living in a place like the Woodlands does not afford a desireable lifestyle than many people desire, just would not really call it urban in this sense
I'm responding to the prior poster who claimed Dallas is urban from downtown to McKinney... McKinney is no more urban that the places I mentioned in Houston so the claim is off.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I'm responding to the prior poster who claimed Dallas is urban from downtown to McKinney... McKinney is no more urban that the places I mentioned in Houston so the claim is off.

Would mostly agree then. Houston and DFW are getting more urban though. To me there area where they are not as much as other places of the same size are in a compressed urban form with continuity. But even that is changes. They are both mostly newer in their development and have developed more spread out so will take time but they are changing (by the year really)

Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,457 times
LA, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Sacramento, KC, Columbus (OH), Richmond (VA), Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning