Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,353 times

Advertisements

GFA = Gross Floor Area

There are very few newer suburban areas that allow zero front setback in their commercial zones.
When it does occur, it is typically a special situation or variance or enlightened city planners.

The reasons for bigger front setbacks in suburban commercial areas are mostly because of traffic engineering and auto-centric design.

Last edited by Eddyline; 01-15-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
GFA = Gross Floor Area
Thanks. The parking requirements don't seem excessive to me.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks. The parking requirements don't seem excessive to me.
They vary town to town but 1 space per 250-300 sf for restaurants and retail and 1 per 350-400 sf for office is typical. It can add up quickly for medium to large buildings which is why walmarts have many acres of parking. Unfortunately much of it is designed for the biggest shopping days of the year, on a typical weekend you might have 2 acres of retail store, 1+ acre of parking in use and 2 to 3 acres of empty parking lot.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
regardless, the parking requirements make it nearly impossible to build an old-style downtown as what used to be the norm.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
regardless, the parking requirements make it nearly impossible to build an old-style downtown as what used to be the norm.
Well, not the type of downtowns that were built with the idea of no parking whatsoever. But if you include the space in front of the stores, plus a small lot in back, I think you could make it work. You seldom find a Walmart or Target or even a clothing store in a downtown these days, anyway. It seems it would work fine for restaurants and boutiques like you find in most downtowns.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I'm wracking my brain to think of a suburb that doesn't have some sort of commercial area.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Well, not the type of downtowns that were built with the idea of no parking whatsoever. But if you include the space in front of the stores, plus a small lot in back, I think you could make it work. You seldom find a Walmart or Target or even a clothing store in a downtown these days, anyway. It seems it would work fine for restaurants and boutiques like you find in most downtowns.
The biggest single difference between a walkable, downtown type commercial area and more suburban type strip mall commercial area is the location of the parking.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minos16 View Post
I've heard it's due to the way zoning laws work in the states, but this concept always confused me.

Why don't more suburbs have a shopping small or store area within? It seems logical to have a central area with good walkability and entertainment. I can understand why somebody wouldn't want a gas station next door but a mini- down town area would be pretty acceptable I think.
They do have them. Unless they are one of the new, downtown/urban suburbs, they are called strip malls.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
It's rather hard to fit a Walmart or Target in a downtown, regular stores that cluster in strip malls can exist find in old-style downtown, and sometimes do. I made a long post about that, for shopping areas in cities a couple days back. I think the boutique/restaurant concentration gets created when old-style downtown area are a small portion of the retail environment or a niche, so more destination, that fit better with "let's visit and stroll for fun or an evening out" tend to gravitate them. And many small downtown areas don't have many boutiques if they're not in a well off area.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Haver...318.61,,0,4.39

i don't remember any boutiques here, looks like more practical shops. Restaurants an boutiques can survive fine in strip malls, too, so what would count as making it work? Usually there are far more pedestrians in "old-style downtowns", so it that sense they work far better.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's rather hard to fit a Walmart or Target in a downtown, regular stores that cluster in strip malls can exist find in old-style downtown, and sometimes do. I made a long post about that, for shopping areas in cities a couple days back. I think the boutique/restaurant concentration gets created when old-style downtown area are a small portion of the retail environment or a niche, so more destination, that fit better with "let's visit and stroll for fun or an evening out" tend to gravitate them. And many small downtown areas don't have many boutiques if they're not in a well off area.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Haver...318.61,,0,4.39

i don't remember any boutiques here, looks like more practical shops. Restaurants an boutiques can survive fine in strip malls, too, so what would count as making it work? Usually there are far more pedestrians in "old-style downtowns", so it that sense they work far better.
When I said "make it work" I was referring to downtown shopping areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning