U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,790,738 times

Advertisements

Must be where you are. I've lived in 3 suburbs in 2 states and there were businesses in all 3 suburbs. There weren't businesses in the developments unless you were in a PUD. It's all based on zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,895,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK thanks. Good catch. I didn't see those. But most of those are home based businesses, and the one on Broadway is actually in the Englewood city limits, not Cherry Hills. The six small businesses (four restaurants and two service businesses) at 1400 E Hampden Ave. seem to be the only businesses in Cherry Hills. That one block small triangle on the edge of the city is zoned limited commercial. Thats the only business district in the entire city, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was pre-existing county zoning annexed by the city.

That makes it very similar to Los Altos Hills which has one store in it's city limits. It does prove an interesting point though. Even suburbs that don't want businesses, have to have at least a few of them. It's almost impossible to have no businesses at all.

http://www.cherryhillsvillage.com/resources/1/Community/Zoning

Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I don't believe that Rolling Hills, CA, has any either. They don't let my kind in, however. There's probably a few other enclaves of the incredibly wealthy. For the other 99.9% of us, however, I think it's fairly safe to say that suburbs have businesses.
Yep, that pretty much seems to fit the model of suburb, that doesn't have businesses. The select few that are so wealthy that they don't even need the sales tax revenue.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
OK thanks. Good catch. I didn't see those. But most of those are home based businesses, and the one on Broadway is actually in the Englewood city limits, not Cherry Hills. The six small businesses (four restaurants and two service businesses) at 1400 E Hampden Ave. seem to be the only businesses in Cherry Hills. That one block small triangle on the edge of the city is zoned limited commercial. Thats the only business district in the entire city, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was pre-existing county zoning annexed by the city.

That makes it very similar to Los Altos Hills which has one store in it's city limits. It does prove an interesting point though. Even suburbs that don't want businesses, have to have at least a few of them. It's almost impossible to have no businesses at all.

http://www.cherryhillsvillage.com/resources/1/Community/Zoning
That was just what I could find on a quick search. Most of them are restaurants, one is a salon which from the picture does not appear to be home-based. I was reading the Cherry Hills Village website and I came across a hotel, in CHV.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:11 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,720,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
So? From what I've seen, most "old-style downtowns" aren't prospering enough as shopping areas to indicate that there's enough demand for even a partial return to that style. They've become popular with certain small demographics but most urban downtowns in the US are what they are: central business districts that empty out by 6-7 pm on week days and remain empty on weekends unless there are special events, not commercial shopping areas.

Iceboxes, wringer washers, and typewriters have all gone by the wayside. So have "old-style downtowns".
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A central business district is different from a "downtown" as discussed in this thread. What I presume the OP was talking about were areas of 19th century (up to 1920s or so) storefronts with zero setback fronting on streets. While these tend to not be successful in isolated rural areas, or blighted ghettos, any time they're found within suburbs which are already desirable they become a widely used community asset.

CBD shopping (downtown department stores and the like) is dead everywhere, which should be no surprise. Even in cities people don't go downtown to shop anymore - they want to shop in their neighborhoods.
Not exactly, one of the most popular shopping areas in our region is Walnut Creek, CA. There is an outdoor mall, Broadway Plaza, main street styled, right outside of downtown with Macy's, Nordstroms, and Neiman Marcus with the other typical mall stores. And then the next block is the old school downtown, with mostly local and independent shops. And then several "strip malls" grew up around the mall, and they actually followed the city blocks and developed main street style as well, even though most are big box. There is a Cost Plus, Container Store, Barnes and Noble and many other retails all mixed in these individual commercial developments. Each has a parking garage, and very limited surface parking lots. It is one of my fave shopping areas if I want to go to the big box stores. I can actually park once and walk outside!

The old school downtown is packed with restaurants etc. Not a ton of residential in the area, but lots of retail and food. So it isn't a conventional walkable area, as in most people drive there to walk around. But you can consolidate a lot of trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Anyone want to come up with a list of suburbs that have no businesses. Los Altos Hills is one.

1. Los Altos Hills
2. Cherry Hills Village

Thats the only ones I can think of. Please add to it.
Kensington in California. They might have one store, there is technically a farmers market I think
Piedmont in California (ok technically they have a gourmet convenience store and one bank.....)
Does Tiburon in California have commercial? I haven't really been there, but I am pretty sure they don't. Belvedere and Atherton are likely on that list too....

And some lower income cities? There is Ashland and Cherryland in Alameda County, CA. They are small unincorporated areas surrounded by San Leandro and San Lorenzo.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That was just what I could find on a quick search. Most of them are restaurants, one is a salon which from the picture does not appear to be home-based. I was reading the Cherry Hills Village website and I came across a hotel, in CHV.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I understand that those six businesses in that small shopping center at 1400 E Hampden Ave. are all full service businesses in Cherry Hills. I believe that includes all of the businesses in Cherry Hills, except for a number of other home based businesses. When I originally looked at Google Maps to see if I could see any businesses, I thought that little shopping center was a part of Englewood. But it is definitely in Cherry Hills.

I still think Cherry Hills qualifies as one of the very few suburbs with no shopping. Since those six businesses include four restaurants, one salon, and one cleaners, that still means that there is not one single retail store in the entire city. Not even a 7-Eleven. That is very unusual for any suburb.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 PM

14,081 posts, read 16,117,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Kensington in California. They might have one store, there is technically a farmers market I think
Piedmont in California (ok technically they have a gourmet convenience store and one bank.....)
Does Tiburon in California have commercial? I haven't really been there, but I am pretty sure they don't. Belvedere and Atherton are likely on that list too....

And some lower income cities? There is Ashland and Cherryland in Alameda County, CA. They are small unincorporated areas surrounded by San Leandro and San Lorenzo.
Tiburon/Belvedere has a bunch of shopping by the ferry. It's mostly in Tiburon, I believe, but there's a couple professional offices inside Belvedere as well. That's really the only place though. There's a grocery store and a garden center in Tiburon outside the ferry area and maybe a couple of restaurants.
Piedmont has WF, Citi, BoA, financial advisers, real estate agents, and a gas station. It's very limited. It isn't uncommon to see banks and investment, real estate, and financial services in wealthy enclaves. But yeah, there's not much.

Ashland and Cherryland both have lots of commercial. CA 185/E 14th is a major commercial street.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not exactly, one of the most popular shopping areas in our region is Walnut Creek, CA. There is an outdoor mall, Broadway Plaza, main street styled, right outside of downtown with Macy's, Nordstroms, and Neiman Marcus with the other typical mall stores. And then the next block is the old school downtown, with mostly local and independent shops. And then several "strip malls" grew up around the mall, and they actually followed the city blocks and developed main street style as well, even though most are big box. There is a Cost Plus, Container Store, Barnes and Noble and many other retails all mixed in these individual commercial developments. Each has a parking garage, and very limited surface parking lots. It is one of my fave shopping areas if I want to go to the big box stores. I can actually park once and walk outside!

The old school downtown is packed with restaurants etc. Not a ton of residential in the area, but lots of retail and food. So it isn't a conventional walkable area, as in most people drive there to walk around. But you can consolidate a lot of trips.

Kensington, no. There is a nice little business district on Arlington Ave. More then just a farmers market. Tiburon has the Boardwalk Shopping Center.

Atherton is a good one. I don't know why I didn't think of that one. It always find it weird how El Camino Real turns into a residential street where it runs through Atherton. There does seem to be some restaurants and offices in Atherton though. Belvedere also has at least one restaurant. Ashland and Cherryland have a few businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning