U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times

Advertisements

Here's why reducing the HOV lane limits can be a bad idea:

Human Transit: on bus lanes, britain can learn from los angeles

Note in the UK, the Conservative Party planned to change the bus lane to a regular car lane, another good example for the "is favoring transit a left/right disagreement?"

In 1999, then state senator Hilda Solis authored a bill, Senate Bill 63, to drop the carpool definition from three occupants to two, which passed both the state Assembly and Senate and was signed by Governor Gray Davis on July 12, 1999.

In fact, the actual number of people moved on the busway dropped, meaning that the lowered requirements did not attract new carpoolers. Instead, many carpoolers previously forced to triple up moved to two-person carpools, which increased the vehicle volume on the roadway and consequently resulted in severe congestion. As a result of the congestion, many individuals abandoned carpooling and decided to drive alone. Speeds on the busway dropped markedly from 65 mph (105 km/h) before the experiment to 20 mph (32 km/h) during the experiment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 03:09 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's why reducing the HOV lane limits can be a bad idea:

Human Transit: on bus lanes, britain can learn from los angeles

Note in the UK, the Conservative Party planned to change the bus lane to a regular car lane, another good example for the "is favoring transit a left/right disagreement?"

In 1999, then state senator Hilda Solis authored a bill, Senate Bill 63, to drop the carpool definition from three occupants to two, which passed both the state Assembly and Senate and was signed by Governor Gray Davis on July 12, 1999.

In fact, the actual number of people moved on the busway dropped, meaning that the lowered requirements did not attract new carpoolers. Instead, many carpoolers previously forced to triple up moved to two-person carpools, which increased the vehicle volume on the roadway and consequently resulted in severe congestion. As a result of the congestion, many individuals abandoned carpooling and decided to drive alone. Speeds on the busway dropped markedly from 65 mph (105 km/h) before the experiment to 20 mph (32 km/h) during the experiment
Currently, our HOV rules say two people. I think if they make it three, some two person carpools will quit and drive themselves, rather than adding a third. Carpools are hard enough with two people. The more you add, the worse it gets. Trust me.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Currently, our HOV rules say two people. I think if they make it three, some two person carpools will quit and drive themselves, rather than adding a third. Carpools are hard enough with two people. The more you add, the worse it gets. Trust me.
Some will quit, others will grab a third person even if inconvenient lessening congestion as the example showed. If the HOV lane does not have congestion with the current rules there's little benefit to the three person rule, if it does, the rule could increase capacity.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM

My scenario is as likely as the one from your link. We already have bus transit; this would just give the buses their own lane all the way. (There already is an HOV lane on part of US 36.) Car pools are a PIA. They have to be worth doing, or they don't work. Three people, with their own peculiarities (this one is always late, this one always has to stop for gas, etc) is harder than two.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,191,083 times
Quote:
The problem I've seen is that on the Route I take the HOV-2 lane has a bunch of cars with a driver and a child in a car seat! I remember reading an article that one of the big changes when they added HOV-2 was the increase in parents using child care near their work instead of near their home. Instant carpool!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
The problem I've seen is that on the Route I take the HOV-2 lane has a bunch of cars with a driver and a child in a car seat! I remember reading an article that one of the big changes when they added HOV-2 was the increase in parents using child care near their work instead of near their home. Instant carpool!
Well everyone knows kids aren't people! Seriously, that makes about as much sense as having another baby to increase one's welfare check. Sorry, not buying.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,850 times
Quote:
Weren't they changing the US-36 BRT/Lexus Lane to 3 people?

Think it was proposed but can't remember if passed?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,191,083 times
Quote:
Well everyone knows kids aren't people! Seriously, that makes about as much sense as having another baby to increase one's welfare check. Sorry, not buying.
Not buying that it is done or that the legislature was that sloppy in writing the law? The law says 'two occupants'. A child is an occupant. ( I was told by a County Officer that they have been told not to ticket cars with one adult and any number of children because that it will be thrown out if taken to court). Also the various Law enforcement agencies have the opinion that any law enforcement vehicle can use the lane for any reason (including Federal Agencies that are commuting into DC not patrolling). On top of all this since the HOV are not physically seperated from the main lanes there is general cheating and there are times when patrolmen are told not to enforce HOV because between the cheaters diving for the general lane and the gawkers watching the flashing lights if they do pull someone over traffic gets clogged up if they enforce it

Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Weren't they changing the US-36 BRT/Lexus Lane to 3 people?

Think it was proposed but can't remember if passed?
I think it's a done deal. I'm not at my regular computer right now to check.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Not buying that it is done or that the legislature was that sloppy in writing the law? The law says 'two occupants'. A child is an occupant. ( I was told by a County Officer that they have been told not to ticket cars with one adult and any number of children because that it will be thrown out if taken to court). Also the various Law enforcement agencies have the opinion that any law enforcement vehicle can use the lane for any reason (including Federal Agencies that are commuting into DC not patrolling). On top of all this since the HOV are not physically seperated from the main lanes there is general cheating and there are times when patrolmen are told not to enforce HOV because between the cheaters diving for the general lane and the gawkers watching the flashing lights if they do pull someone over traffic gets clogged up if they enforce it
Not buying that people are changing their day care because of H O V 3. (Sorry, I'm on my kindle and incorrect won't let me post some acronyms.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning