U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 AM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That has nothing to do with sprawl. Good parents make good schools. Good schools don't just grow out of the ground. Walmart has good quality? LOL In my experience, you find much better quality at smaller stores, no matter the location. You will find cheaper prices in any chain, regardless of the location.
Who mentioned Walmart (besides you)? I've shopped at some small grocery stores that had lousy quality, probably b/c they didn't have as much turnover of product. I'm talking dust on the cans, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who mentioned Walmart (besides you)? I've shopped at some small grocery stores that had lousy quality, probably b/c they didn't have as much turnover of product. I'm talking dust on the cans, etc.
The Walmart comment was obviously light-hearted (that's what LOL usually means).
I don't see your point. I have shopped at those too.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The Walmart comment was obviously light-hearted (that's what LOL usually means).
I don't see your point. I have shopped at those too.
Sometimes humor is only apparent to the poster. BTDT. Anyway, the poster you were responding to said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, usually the schools are usually better. That's not inherently a benefit of sprawl, but I'd take good schools over being able to walk to an overpriced bodega in the same amount of time it takes me to drive to a supermarket with better quality, better selection, and better prices.
I agree. Some of these little bodegas are not the greatest. Sheesh, there's this whole body of writing about how the little corner grocery stores don't carry fresh produce.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 PM

14,068 posts, read 16,081,530 times
When I was in the 'Loin the only produce you could be guaranteed of getting from the corner "grocery" store was potato chips. By far the most prevalent produce was fermented grain beverages and tobacco.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Sometimes humor is only apparent to the poster. BTDT. Anyway, the poster you were responding to said:

I agree. Some of these little bodegas are not the greatest. Sheesh, there's this whole body of writing about how the little corner grocery stores don't carry fresh produce.
I know what they said. Every small grocery isn't some bodega in Harlem. We only have a few of them here, I'm talking more about locally-owned full groceries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
When I was in the 'Loin the only produce you could be guaranteed of getting from the corner "grocery" store was potato chips. By far the most prevalent produce was fermented grain beverages and tobacco.
That's a corner store, not somewhere you buy groceries obviously..

Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I know what they said. Every small grocery isn't some bodega in Harlem. We only have a few of them here, I'm talking more about locally-owned full groceries.

That's a corner store, not somewhere you buy groceries obviously..
I haven't seen such a grocery store in many years. Even back when I was a kid, such stores were smaller and less well stocked than the chains, though we did have some local chains in my area.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM

32,378 posts, read 59,846,787 times
Quote:
Every small grocery isn't some bodega in Harlem.
In some neighborhoods, the stores Malloric is describing is all there is.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,659,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
In some neighborhoods, the stores Malloric is describing is all there is.
Those neighborhoods are often called food deserts.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 AM

14,068 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
I haven't seen such a grocery store in many years. Even back when I was a kid, such stores were smaller and less well stocked than the chains, though we did have some local chains in my area.
Sacramento has Nugget Markets.

It's locally-owned. Headquartered in Woodland, CA, with stores in the Sacramento region. It also consistently ranks as one of the top employers by Forbes. There's also the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op. San Francisco has Bi-Rite and Rainbow as far as major grocery stores. Lots of smaller ones, a few of which are decent.

But yeah, those aren't in the 'Loin. It was about a mile and a half to the nearest full-sized grocery store which was Safeway. There were lots of the overpriced bodegas, some of which actually sometimes carried fresh produce and others which never did. Trendy urbanistas tend to forget that all a bodega is a convenience store. Some are better than your local 7-11, most are just more expensive.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
That's too bad. We have a few in south Louisiana such as Rouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning