U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Reputation: 33082

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
A zillion things can be done.

1. When find yourself in a hole -stop digging. No more belt ways, complete moratorium on annexations into
Rational policy is put in place.

2. Zoning has to change everywhere, immediately. Introduce mixed-use neighborhoods; upzone upzone upzone. Replace Euclidean zoning with form-based code. Build densisty from the core out.

4. If Atlanta is like most US cities it has developed a ton of regs over the years that make development in the core a huge obstacle. Strip these away. The great cities in the world developed without the. They do more harm than good.

3. Reconfigure streets to be complex, multi-modal and friendly to uses other than cars.

4. Rediscover the grid. Look at every available opportunity to re-stitch the grid together.

6. Turn the one-way streets into two-way streets.

5. Atlanta likely has a master plan, but it's likely decades out of date. Put together a new one, base it on cities that are doing the right things.

6. Fire the transportation department. Every last person. They will be the biggest impediment to change going forward.

7. Reinvest transportation dollars away from big roads projects. Do little road diets, bike lanes, cycle tracks, all over the central core.

8. After they've done the above - consider making large investments into high capacity transit.

9. Tell every developer of very new greenfield site that not one acre of their land will ever be annexed, nor city services extended to their residents unless: the site is built to a grid and well connected to surrounding communities, and access points provided for connections to future communities, and that developer must develop densely enough that he can demonstrate to the satisfaction of a neutral third party that the tax revenue generated will be sufficient to cover all future infrastructure maintenance costs past the first life cycle.


That's just a brief start
3. Oh, God, not this again. We've got a thread on here about how people can't possibly walk through a frickin' strip mall parking lot, how do you suppose it'd work to have streets "friendly to uses other than cars"?

6. (the second #6) That'd be helpful, not. It'd take years for people just to get up to speed

8. Who's paying?

9. No "center city" would ever pass that test. It would be the end of cities everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 PM
 
410 posts, read 389,849 times
Reputation: 500
6. Turn the one-way streets into two-way streets.

Name a major city in America that doesn't have one-way streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,717,666 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
6. Turn the one-way streets into two-way streets.

Name a major city in America that doesn't have one-way streets.
I can't - they're generally terrible ideas - usually the worst streets in town. There are exceptions - where there are exceptionally narrow streets, or where density is extremely high. Usually, city transportation departments converted streets into two-way couplets in vogue with all the other really bad ideas they had that were ruinous to downtowns.

Cities are converting their one-way streets to two-ways all over the US with amazing success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 12:06 AM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,717,666 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
3. Oh, God, not this again. We've got a thread on here about how people can't possibly walk through a frickin' strip mall parking lot, how do you suppose it'd work to have streets "friendly to uses other than cars"?

6. (the second #6) That'd be helpful, not. It'd take years for people just to get up to speed

8. Who's paying?

9. No "center city" would ever pass that test. It would be the end of cities everywhere.
3. Easy - 1. Put cars in their place. 2. Mix the uses. 3. Get the parking right. 4. Let transit work. 5. Protect the pedestrian. 6. welcome bicyclists. 7. shape the spaces. 8. plant trees. 9. make friendly and unique building facades. and 10. Pick the winners - concentrate on a few good ones - let it spread from there.

6. Transportation departments are generally run by dinosaurs and the biggest impediments to progress. Fire them - fire them all. Hire people who share in the city vision, not pull against it.

8. Everyone - everyone pays for the betterment of the city - everyone gets a great city out of it.

9. Quite the opposite, almost all center cities would far exceed this test - they're the ones that supplement the suburbs. If the test were implemented very few new suburban communities could be funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Reputation: 33082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
3. Easy - 1. Put cars in their place. 2. Mix the uses. 3. Get the parking right. 4. Let transit work. 5. Protect the pedestrian. 6. welcome bicyclists. 7. shape the spaces. 8. plant trees. 9. make friendly and unique building facades. and 10. Pick the winners - concentrate on a few good ones - let it spread from there.

6. Transportation departments are generally run by dinosaurs and the biggest impediments to progress. Fire them - fire them all. Hire people who share in the city vision, not pull against it.

8. Everyone - everyone pays for the betterment of the city - everyone gets a great city out of it.

9. Quite the opposite, almost all center cities would far exceed this test - they're the ones that supplement the suburbs. If the test were implemented very few new suburban communities could be funded.
Prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM
 
9,520 posts, read 14,846,931 times
Reputation: 9769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Prove it.
ROTFL. It doesn't make any sense anyway. Most suburban communities were not and are not looking for annexation from the central city in a region, nor do they get infrastructure services from the central city. With the rise of HOAs, the developers often aren't even looking for annexation by or street dedication to from the smaller communities they are built near or in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,717,666 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Prove it.
Vancouver.

Game. Set. Match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
 
358 posts, read 360,179 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
6. Turn the one-way streets into two-way streets.
Thank you. Nobody likes one-way streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM
 
410 posts, read 389,849 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I can't - they're generally terrible ideas - usually the worst streets in town. There are exceptions - where there are exceptionally narrow streets, or where density is extremely high. Usually, city transportation departments converted streets into two-way couplets in vogue with all the other really bad ideas they had that were ruinous to downtowns.

Cities are converting their one-way streets to two-ways all over the US with amazing success.
The pink lines in the pictures represent the one-way streets in Atlanta. One-way streets appear to be confined to Atlanta's dense urban core. I can only conclude that you don't believe Atlanta's downtown is dense enough to support one-way streets.

Other than downtown, Atlanta doesn't have a lot of one-way streets.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,717,666 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
The pink lines in the pictures represent the one-way streets in Atlanta. One-way streets appear to be confined to Atlanta's dense urban core. I can only conclude that you don't believe Atlanta's downtown is dense enough to support one-way streets.

Other than downtown, Atlanta doesn't have a lot of one-way streets.

you conclude correctly - Atlanta doesn't have nearly the population downtown for one-way streets to work - think Manhattan. Since Atlanta will never have that kind of density, it should immediate embark on conventing it's two-way couplets back to one-way streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top