U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:27 PM

613 posts, read 892,280 times

Advertisements

The claim that half of the 81% of Canadians who live in cities, are living in suburbs sounds odd to me. What definition of suburb are they using and what would similar stats be for Americans if the same definition is used as in the infographic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,819,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Are there any for which none of these apply?

A) More jobs than workers
B) Considerably above average incomes
C) High taxes
D) Difficulty affording maintenance of infrastructure
There are NJ suburbs for which none of those apply. Though "C" is perhaps questionable; these suburbs have very high tax rates but extremely low ratables.

NJs high taxes have little to do with "sprawl". It's a combination of years of corrupt governments and a school funding formula which requires that the schools in the poorest areas be funded more, per pupil, than the schools in the richest areas.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,760,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
The claim that half of the 81% of Canadians who live in cities, are living in suburbs sounds odd to me. What definition of suburb are they using and what would similar stats be for Americans if the same definition is used as in the infographic?
It's unclear, maybe it's by municipality (ie anything outside the central municipitality)? If you expected it to be higher living in suburbs, it would be because Canadian municipalities often amalgamated/annexed suburbs/greenfields.

There's only a few cities where the central municipitality has less than half the metro population (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Victoria, and maybe Kitchener depending on the definition) but they do include the biggest metros.

There was another measure which involved looking at transport mode however according to that about 3/4 of metro area residents live in suburbs.

Planning research shows Canada is suburban nation | Queen's University News Centre
However the methodology is a bit odd in that it looks like it defines auto suburbs as those with a transit commute mode share less than 150% of the metro average. So if your metro has a 30% transit mode share, your census tract could have a 44% transit mode share and be considered an auto suburb but if your metro has a 10% transit share then if your census tract has 16% transit mode share it's a transit suburb.

That's rather different from the impression one got from reading the dozens of media articles on the subject which made no mention of the fact that the mode share cut-off for auto suburb was different for each metro when they reported Toronto had the most auto suburbs.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 AM

10,910 posts, read 9,322,273 times
This is false.

I grew up in the architypical post war NYC suburb. I now live in Manhattan. I tended to back and forth over the decades. The transportation infrastructure (mainly roads) in the suburb in question is much better maintained than that in the city, especially when you get out of Manhattan.

The MTA tries to stay on top of the subways, but they have to incur huge debt loads to do it. In in large part drivers subsidize the MTA (though bridge tolls at least.)

So, sorry, in the case of NYC and it's suburbs, I'm not buying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
When you're building endless super-sized roads, parking lots and highways everywhere then naturally the costs of infrastructure, maintenance and energy consumption are going to be much greater in autosprawl suburbia than in more compact denser cities that rely less on private automobiles.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 AM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is false.

I grew up in the architypical post war NYC suburb. I now live in Manhattan. I tended to back and forth over the decades. The transportation infrastructure (mainly roads) in the suburb in question is much better maintained than that in the city, especially when you get out of Manhattan.

The MTA tries to stay on top of the subways, but they have to incur huge debt loads to do it. In in large part drivers subsidize the MTA (though bridge tolls at least.)

So, sorry, in the case of NYC and it's suburbs, I'm not buying this.
Yeah, I've posted budget info before. The bridge tolls bring in more money than NYCDOT spends in totality on roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning