U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,681,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Haha, they're not libertarians, they're mostly total California granola leftists. Especially the ones who move to SF.
Not these days. More like Ivy League wasps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There's open air drug dealing a few blocks away from Twitter's headquarters.
And people sleeping and urinating in doorways on twitter's block. Probably twitter's door step.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not these days. More like Ivy League wasps.
Ivy league schools are likely about as jewish as WASP:

What North American Schools Have the Largest Jewish Populations? — Gather the Jews

generally around 20-30%, except for Princeton and [unsurprisingly] Dartmouth. Until sometimes in the 50s or 60s, a number of Ivy League schools had quotas for Jewish students, in a form of reverse affirmative action. I'd guess Ivy League would tend towards mainstream liberalism but not really the activist left.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:45 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,956,284 times
Quote:

What North American Schools Have the Largest Jewish Populations? — Gather the Jews

generally around 20-30%, except for Princeton and [unsurprisingly] Dartmouth. Until sometimes in the 50s or 60s, a number of Ivy League schools had quotas for Jewish students, in a form of reverse affirmative action. I'd guess Ivy League would tend towards mainstream liberalism but not really the activist left.
University of Pennsylvania is only 45% white (under represented) for the incoming class. My guess is there are just as many Jews & Catholics in that mix as WASPs. The next biggest group at 20% is Asians (over represented).

I know a few people who went to Penn and a few others who went to Princeton - I think Princeton has more of a liberal tradition than Penn but neither school is churning out raging leftists. At Penn I don't think it's much different than what you find in the general population of college educated people.

I think politics as largely irrelevant in the context of any Ivy League school - privilege and entitlement are much bigger defining characteristics.

So I completely agree that SF is dominated by the well heeled and to me the SF as Hippie-ville is a stereotype that probably ran its course at some point in the late 80s/early 90s. I think if you're looking for the activist left in the Bay Area you're better off in Oakland and Berkeley.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Maybe wasp was a little mean...Californians don't go to church unless they are catholic. :P

Old 02-08-2014, 08:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Maybe wasp was a little mean...Californians don't go to church unless they are catholic. :P
Might not be as extreme here, but it does seem Catholics are more churchgoing. In any case, in a lot of the Northeast there are more Catholics than Protestants. Long Island much more so.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM

87,013 posts, read 102,621,396 times
And church attendance has to do with parking because?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM

701 posts, read 1,327,057 times
Quote:
They have been "isolating" all the crime and issues to that area of SF for decades. And didn't bother to eliminate anything. What about the quality of life for those residents.
But the other half of the solution, after isolate, is eliminate. Which is the part that the city is apparently not doing. But by all means, sweep it further under the rug with policies that cater to the namby-pamby liberal elites of the Bay area at the same time. "Look, we can hide the drug trade at the same time that we rid the streets of more evil, polluting cars!"

San Francisco was the dirtiest, most pathetic city I've ever seen, and I work in Philadelphia. Experimental social policies come home to roost, and the residents of the poorer areas who aren't drug addicts pay the price.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,191,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
But the other half of the solution, after isolate, is eliminate. Which is the part that the city is apparently not doing. But by all means, sweep it further under the rug with policies that cater to the namby-pamby liberal elites of the Bay area at the same time. "Look, we can hide the drug trade at the same time that we rid the streets of more evil, polluting cars!"

San Francisco was the dirtiest, most pathetic city I've ever seen, and I work in Philadelphia. Experimental social policies come home to roost, and the residents of the poorer areas who aren't drug addicts pay the price.

You're not going to eliminate it. You can push it indoors, but that is about it.

I found SF to be a lovely city, other than the cost.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:02 AM

I thought the San Francisco police deliberately ignored the drug dealers in the Tenderloin, they'd rather it stay there and didn't think it was worth bothering with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning