U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM

303 posts, read 510,174 times

Advertisements

It's threads like these that make car drivers dislike bicyclists and vice versa.

The DC area is rife with traffic coming from all major directions. The bus and trains have become so expensive that it's ultimately cheaper to drive than to use the alternative. Even if you didn't care about cost (in this economy, who doesn't care?), you have the added problem of overcrowding and a lack of punctuality of these buses and trains.

Walking and biking only works if you live in the city, and the price of housing in this area is again so prohibitive that it would only allow for a small section of people... not nearly enough to impact the hideous levels of traffic.

Biking and Public transit aren't always a viable option, that's all I'm trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,713,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMillersWife View Post
It's threads like these that make car drivers dislike bicyclists and vice versa.

The DC area is rife with traffic coming from all major directions. The bus and trains have become so expensive that it's ultimately cheaper to drive than to use the alternative. Even if you didn't care about cost (in this economy, who doesn't care?), you have the added problem of overcrowding and a lack of punctuality of these buses and trains.

Walking and biking only works if you live in the city, and the price of housing in this area is again so prohibitive that it would only allow for a small section of people... not nearly enough to impact the hideous levels of traffic.

Biking and Public transit aren't always a viable option, that's all I'm trying to say.
What a load of BS. Sorry - there is no way that bus and trains are more expensive than:

Principal and Interest payments
Gas and Gas Taxes
Maintenance
Insurance

Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMillersWife View Post

Of course it's viable - you just have to make lifestyle choices.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What a load of BS. Sorry - there is no way that bus and trains are more expensive than:

Gas and Gas Taxes
Maintenance
Insurance
Who says everyone takes a loan to buy a car? Or buys a new car? The biggest upfront cost of a car is the price of the car itself. If you already own the car, operating it is not *that* expensive. For short trips, it beats the cost of transit, hands down.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who says everyone takes a loan to buy a car? Or buys a new car? The biggest upfront cost of a car is the price of the car itself. If you already own the car, operating it is not *that* expensive. For short trips, it beats the cost of transit, hands down.
You still have to account for the capitol costs of buying the car. And older cars have a lot more maintenance.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Quote:
I think traffic "issues", not necessarily jams, is what spurred employment to the suburbs in the 70s or so.
The lower cost of land and office space didn't hurt, either. It was so much cheaper for companies to expand offices or build modern facilities out in the 'burbs.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:01 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,347,681 times
Quote:
Cars beat the cost and inflexibility of transit.
Cars also offer independence from transit - a good and necessary thing since transit inherently doesn't serve the vast majority of the populace anyway.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:09 PM

3,901 posts, read 3,579,980 times
Quote:
Of course it's viable - you just have to make lifestyle choices.
You sound like you are very young.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's I lived a mile from work and I "commuted" by bicycle a lot.

Then I made a lifestyle choice to move 35 miles away and now my commute is done 100% by private motor vehicle. If there was a train or bus reasonably close to my house and my job I might try it out, but there isn't.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:21 PM

3,069 posts, read 3,183,599 times
Quote:

Gas and Gas Taxes
Maintenance
Insurance
Well considering I still need to own a car to get to the Train or bus and to haul kids to soccor matches and go shopping. The only thing I save is the incremental cost of gas, maintenance and parking. And I gain flexibility of being able to come in early (or stay late when needed) When I was working downtown Car to commuter bus to Metro was fine as long as I could walk out of the office by 4:27 (not 4:29 or I missed the Metro that connected with the bus)

It is all a tradeoff each makes their decision based on their priorities

Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Cars beat the cost and inflexibility of transit.
Cars also offer independence from transit - a good and necessary thing since transit inherently doesn't serve the vast majority of the populace anyway.
That has more to do with the poor job we have done when it comes to investing in public transit over the past 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning