Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 05:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
If what I need or want is not located in my Neighborhood and I want to buy it(in person). Places like Micro-center(a computer shop located in an strip mall on the north side), some pet stores(although I tend to go to the burbs for things like Petco/Pet smart). Now I live near a Target but years ago Target would be in that category or if I happened to be in the area for other reason I might drop by.).

I also drop by if my route for the day happens to take me though or past the area because I have a car places with a parking lot get my shopping, places without don't. those particular strip malls are located near the Kennedy so for me it is easy to go there and buy something.

What I mean is there are only so many affluent people without kids, you can not fill an city this large with only affluent child less couples who can either afford the parking or have jobs\lifestyles that don't need a car to access.
I am assuming you don't actually live in Chicago and live in a more suburban area where it makes more sense to drive from store to store? I remember walking through North Center and Lake View and seeing more than enough baby strollers and kids going to school to know that there are more than just wealthy childless people living in Chicago. Also for the size of Chicago it is actually a pretty affordable urban city to live in.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am assuming you don't actually live in Chicago and live in a more suburban area where it makes more sense to drive from store to store? I remember walking through North Center and Lake View and seeing more than enough baby strollers and kids going to school to know that there are more than just wealthy childless people living in Chicago. Also for the size of Chicago it is actually a pretty affordable urban city to live in.
No, I do live in town on the south side at the moment and there are a few children in those areas but those areas are mostly just out of college young adults and transplants with a smidgen of gays. I drive because driving usually is the fastest easiest way to get my goals done. It is cheaper than New York but still when it comes to shopping the burbs are often(but not always) cheaper.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
No, I do live in town on the south side at the moment and there are a few children in those areas but those areas are mostly just out of college young adults and transplants with a smidgen of gays. I drive because driving usually is the fastest easiest way to get my goals done. It is cheaper than New York but still when it comes to shopping the burbs are often(but not always) cheaper.
That makes sense, the Northside and the Southside are completely different worlds.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's funny that with all the mixed use talk on this forum, some object to a strip mall b/c it doesn't somehow fit in!
I wouldn't call a concrete block of stores hidden behind a parking lot "mixed use".

Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I wouldn't call a concrete block of stores hidden behind a parking lot "mixed use".
Yeah, the concept of mixed use is misunderstood often.
The typical strip mall is NOT mixed use.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
How many more people would walk to a strip mall if the buildings were put up against the street? Personally, I think strip malls make sense in several areas because most of the visitors are arriving in cars, not on foot. Putting the parking lot behind would inconvenience the drivers and store (guarding more entrances/exits), but would the benefit be worth it? Would more business be generated by making the strip mall more people friendly and increasing the number of pedestrian visitors? I don't think enough people live within 1/2 a mile of a strip mall and would be willing to walk there. The density is just too low.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
How many more people would walk to a strip mall if the buildings were put up against the street? Personally, I think strip malls make sense in several areas because most of the visitors are arriving in cars, not on foot. Putting the parking lot behind would inconvenience the drivers and store (guarding more entrances/exits), but would the benefit be worth it? Would more business be generated by making the strip mall more people friendly and increasing the number of pedestrian visitors? I don't think enough people live within 1/2 a mile of a strip mall and would be willing to walk there. The density is just too low.
It is very contextual. The strip mall I references earlier is in the middle of 2 neighborhoods. One with 16k density and another with 10k. And plenty of bicyclists. More than enough people to walk. There are at least 500 within the first 1 block radius.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is very contextual. The strip mall I references earlier is in the middle of 2 neighborhoods. One with 16k density and another with 10k. And plenty of bicyclists. More than enough people to walk. There are at least 500 within the first 1 block radius.
I think it's cool to make the area more walkable, but are those bicyclist going to add that strip mall to their daily destinations because it's now more accessible? And the people who live close to the strip mall, is that their only stop for the day? Can they get everything they need by going to that strip mall, or will they have to go to other stores? If they have to visit other destinations, then they will probably drive regardless of the distance from the road and size of the parking lot. The strip mall is first and foremost a business and they're going to do whatever makes them the most profits. If that means parking lots in front to accommodate the majority of shoppers that arrive by car, then that's what is going to happen. If they see that they can generate more profits by having the shops closer to the road, then they will look into a redesign. I honestly don't think most people really care about how a strip mall looks; this is just a pressing issue on C-D. I'm all for making things more people friendly, but it needs to be proven that there are enough people willing to walk that would make a change profitable. Right now, I don't see that being true for most strip malls, and they should probably stay the way they are.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
So strip malls, as I'm sure we can all agree, are hideous uses of space and are very inefficient in the way they use land. They swallow up space for parking and are pretty much impossible for any pedestrian to access without having to slip between moving and parked cars and hope they don't get hit. And what's worse is that they are so common as to be ubiquitous. Here's an example of your average strip mall:

And another:

It's clear that they don't fit into the urban fabric at all in their current state. However, if up-and-coming neighborhoods and municipalities wanted to shift their focus to a walkable atmosphere, how could they change the pedestrian-hostile nature of the strip mall structures without actually having to tear them down?

And (going off on a tangent here) what about other similar structures that are hidden behind massive parking lots-how can those be made pedestrian-friendly without having to meet the wrecking ball?
I have an issue with these two bolded statements in the OP. Once you step out of your car in a parking lot, you become a pedestrian as well. Then you also will be facing the "danger" of "getting hit by a car", which is relatively low. I would be more afraid to cross the street at a red light than walk through a parking lot. The pedestrians are taking on no additional risk than those people who park in the lot and then walk to the store.

As far as strip malls not fitting into the urban fabric, I would argue that this is also not true. If anything, they not only fit into the urban fabric, they are the urban fabric. You also stated that they are so common that they are ubiquitous; I would argue that if they go unnoticed by the regular person, they are part of the urban fabric.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I think it's cool to make the area more walkable, but are those bicyclist going to add that strip mall to their daily destinations because it's now more accessible? And the people who live close to the strip mall, is that their only stop for the day? Can they get everything they need by going to that strip mall, or will they have to go to other stores? If they have to visit other destinations, then they will probably drive regardless of the distance from the road and size of the parking lot. The strip mall is first and foremost a business and they're going to do whatever makes them the most profits. If that means parking lots in front to accommodate the majority of shoppers that arrive by car, then that's what is going to happen. If they see that they can generate more profits by having the shops closer to the road, then they will look into a redesign. I honestly don't think most people really care about how a strip mall looks; this is just a pressing issue on C-D. I'm all for making things more people friendly, but it needs to be proven that there are enough people willing to walk that would make a change profitable. Right now, I don't see that being true for most strip malls, and they should probably stay the way they are.
Well my strip mall is an interesting thing. It was already popular with non drivers in the area. I think during the redevkoplemnt phase they found that 20% of people didn't drive there. And the Safeway had been losing business as it wasn't renovated, so people just drove to the other one about 1.25 miles away.

I live somewhere where people are more likely not to drive (by choice).

It is currently being redeveloped so be more people friendly and have stores at the sidewalk level. It is a very odd place, because half of it is actually downhill and about 1/2 -1 story from the street level. In the redevelopment process, the owner, Safeway had to go through a few revisions before it was approved by the neighborhood. People were really worried about senior access, as there is a 150-200 unit senior development across the street, and busy bus stops in each of the intersections. And the biggest issue was sidewalk level activity since it was in the middle of 2 denser neighborhoods that are pretty much the most walkable ones in Oakland. It didn't fit.

It is a reasonably busy strip mall with a drugstore. Grocery, Starbucks and pet food express. The thing that is funny, as there id a Main Street down the road, starting about 1/4 a mile away that also has cvs, pet food express, Starbucks (and 4 other coffee shops). I think a bevmo is planned for the new and improved strip mall, but there are 3 wine shops on the close Main Street and then 2 more wine shops on the second Main Street up the street a couple of blocks. Somehow, even though all 3 of these commercial districts have coffee shops, groceries, pharmacies, etc they all seem to do fine, capturing a different mix. The main streets are more upscale than the strip mall.

There are easily 1000 people within 2 blocks, so they can walk....evenly if just the non drivers walked, I believe the non-driver rate in the area is about 15%, so that is quite a few people within the first couple blocks. There is a big condo complex a block away with around 300 units, the senior home, and then at least 10 20 unit buildings within 3-4 blocks. The college of the arts is also adjacent....and the high school is about 4 blocks away. It is also on the busiest bus line in the whole transit system. It happens to have a lot of feeders of foot traffic within the immediate blocks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning