U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd say not all combos of mixed use are compatible with ideal livability.

Like, a elementary school and an "Adult" "xxx" video store wouldn't be the best single use building.
LOL, that is the reason why zoning evolved in the first place. It could be a fine use of an single building.
It is just our tastes and morals limit that particular use.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,519,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have got to be kidding! Do you think young moms liked tying up their kids so they wouldn't get hit by a freaking semi traveling up/down the street? Do you have any idea how the soot came in through the screen doors in the summer? I assume you'll be the first to buy a house next door to the factory where you can raise your kid. Better get some rope.
So now you are saying you lived in a horrible small town? Is that factory that produced the soot still open today?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM

86,998 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Just what everyone wants - to live two blocks away from heavy industry.
Yep! And one more anecdote.

Our high school played their games at the local college field which was right next to a cork works (Armstrong). Anybody ever smell a cork works? They make Hydrogen Sulfide as a byproduct. Smells like rotten eggs. Anyway, one lovely fall night I was over on the "visitor" side selling candy, and the cork works let off a huge blast! Someone smart mouth asked me, "Does Beaver Falls always smell this bad?" to which I, always a snarker, replied, "No, just when you guys come to town".

Do keep in mind this factory was within walking distance of the dorms and many professor's homes.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So now you are saying you lived in a horrible small town? Is that factory that produced the soot still open today?
This was the mixed use in her town [from an earlier post]:

Quote:
Well, then, I lived in a "mixed use" neighborhood when I was a kid. There was a steel mill right down the street, about 1 1/2 blocks away. My mom used to tie my brother and I up to the front porch so we wouldn't get hit by a semi if we ran out into the street.

For those of you who don't know, I'm talking about a heavy manufacturing plant where they made steel.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:23 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,676 times
Quote:
However that is the reason why towns turned to gentrification to sell the idea of dense, walkable, a little gritty(but not too much crime, drunken hobos, or icky factories(and other things)) like the old days. I am not against it but sometimes when I read forums like this people want to turn an city into something as artificial as the burbs they hate.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 PM

86,998 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't horrible. We didn't know anything different. Plus, my family did move to the (gasp!) burbs when I was 7. No, there are very few steel mills still open today.
Moltrup Steel Products site - Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
** The current brownfield site is on the environmental watchlist as toxic chemicals, including sulfuric acid, are being released into the environment although land restoration is a high priority for the community.**

https://sites.google.com/site/secretdestroyers/moltrup
http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=24856

Lawrence County Memoirs: Armstrong Cork Works - Beaver Falls PA
(Note football stadium in upper right)

Old 02-20-2014, 05:04 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,793,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Responses in bold, but more below:

If they want to walk to where they shop, they should have the right to. This is a country based on rights, isn't it?

And though the "everyone uses cars" principle works in the suburbs, it doesn't work quite so well in city limits, where people prefer to walk or take transit everywhere. Strip malls are wholly out of place in dense and even partially dense areas.

Besides, what about the people who live within 2 miles of the strip mall, rather than 20? Those people are not only much more likely to use that strip mall, they can easily walk or bike to it. Of course, said strip mall is designed in a manner that makes it impossible to actually walk across the parking lot to the businesses themselves, thus discouraging shoppers there and denying them potential business.

Additionally, strip malls not only don't look near as nice as their walkable counterparts, they take up massive space. They are an eyesore. Let me ask you, which looks better: this or this? One can fit much more business without taking up near as much space. Also, did I mention that these example are right across the street from each other? So you can get a proper glimpse at how that strip mall (like many strip malls) destroy the urban fabric that surrounds them.
Look Nice?? Are you a property owner or have any experience with leasing properties and such. I don't think so..They provide a service for people who want to buy goods. And the owner of such places pay hefty
taxes to own these kinds of properties..Which taxes get kicked back to help out the local population..Too
create sidewalks and such that i see rarely used. I've scene many "sidewalk or Urban friendly" projects
created where i live..and see about 10 people a day use em.. It's a simple cost benefit analysis..
Spend millions for the 10 or spend it elsewhere, maybe for the poor, elderly and needy, who need real help..

Strip malls a problem or and eyesore IDK think so. I have to say some of the strip malls i see being built are
very trendy and great looking. The new Starbucks strip mall is coming along well. I guess people will be biking there and leaving, coffee in hand while peddling their bike.. Well maybe a few will hang and
take out their laptops and stay there the whole day..the non working crowd..

Or the forever student..

Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,519,126 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't horrible. We didn't know anything different. Plus, my family did move to the (gasp!) burbs when I was 7. No, there are very few steel mills still open today.
Moltrup Steel Products site - Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
** The current brownfield site is on the environmental watchlist as toxic chemicals, including sulfuric acid, are being released into the environment although land restoration is a high priority for the community.**

https://sites.google.com/site/secretdestroyers/moltrup
Display Location: Moltrup Steel Products Company - Urban Exploration Resource

Lawrence County Memoirs: Armstrong Cork Works - Beaver Falls PA
(Note football stadium in upper right)
Gasp, there is nothing wrong with suburbs, I grew up in one and my parents have always lived in a suburb.

Now I can only assume that not every street in this small town you lived in until the age of 7 had semi-trucks running up and down the street. Which would mean there were better streets to live on than the one you lived on. Now was there anything at all that you liked about Beaver Falls? Now if you take that steel mill and replace it with a tech company or something that fits in with modern day industry, then you don't have to worry about the soot.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:27 PM

27,166 posts, read 29,665,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
LOL, that is the reason why zoning evolved in the first place. It could be a fine use of an single building.
It is just our tastes and morals limit that particular use.
True. Generally speaking, most stuff that doesn't emit any toxic fumes (or noise) can go together. Unless you are like this Socal town and you think Siracha is a toxic fume.

Sriracha Factory Shut Down Over 'Offensive' Odors

Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 PM

27,166 posts, read 29,665,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
The new Starbucks strip mall is coming along well. I guess people will be biking there and leaving, coffee in hand while peddling their bike.. Well maybe a few will hang and
take out their laptops and stay there the whole day..the non working crowd..

Or the forever student..
Or people who work from home...or people with non-traditional hours...

Oh and you might see something like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning