Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I wouldn't call a concrete block of stores hidden behind a parking lot "mixed use".
That does not describe most of the strip malls I'm familiar with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Yeah, the concept of mixed use is misunderstood often.
The typical strip mall is NOT mixed use.
What is mixed use then? The strip mall near me has a Walgreen's, a liquor store, a shoe repair shop, a dental office, a hairdresser, a sports bar and a pizza parlor, off the top of my head. At times it's also had an exercise studio (now the sports bar). It used to have a grocery store and will again soon. Said grocery store is going to have a meeting room for public meetings. Since someone in a thread yesterday referred to a Safeway as a community center, I think the place I'm describing is "mixed use". There are also going to be some condos built on part of the old grocery store property.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

What is mixed use then? The strip mall near me has a Walgreen's, a liquor store, a shoe repair shop, a dental office, a hairdresser, a sports bar and a pizza parlor, off the top of my head. At times it's also had an exercise studio (now the sports bar). It used to have a grocery store and will again soon. Said grocery store is going to have a meeting room for public meetings. Since someone in a thread yesterday referred to a Safeway as a community center, I think the place I'm describing is "mixed use". There are also going to be some condos built on part of the old grocery store property.
That isn't mixed use, that is just a lot of commercial use. Mixed use means when a building contains more than one use, the strip mall you are describing is just single use retail, which there is nothing wrong with that, it just isn't mixed use.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:

Add in offices and/or residences and it becomes mixed use. Some strip malls do have offices, but they aren't super common.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That isn't mixed use, that is just a lot of commercial use. Mixed use means when a building contains more than one use, the strip mall you are describing is just single use retail, which there is nothing wrong with that, it just isn't mixed use.
Well, that's the first I've heard such a definition of mixed use. Is it like "suburb", that it can mean whatever a poster wants it to mean, so that "mixed use" is good, but the Village Square Shopping Center (the official name of my strip mall) is bad?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Well, that's the first I've heard such a definition of mixed use. Is it like "suburb", that it can mean whatever a poster wants it to mean, so that "mixed use" is good, but the Village Square Shopping Center (the official name of my strip mall) is bad?
Mixed-use development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This lines up with the generally accepted definition. Retail, commercial/industrial and residential all in one place.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Add in offices and/or residences and it becomes mixed use. Some strip malls do have offices, but they aren't super common.
People don't work in a restaurant, a beauty shop, a dental office, a drug store? For all I know, someone is renting a little building there to do "office work".

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
That has always been the definition of mixed use. Suburb as well has a specific definition.

I don't know your strip mall by you, so I cannot tell you if it is good or bad.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
People don't work in a restaurant, a beauty shop, a dental office, a drug store? For all I know, someone is renting a little building there to do "office work".
Well when the strip mall builds some residential on top of it, then it can be called mixed use.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
It means the integration of different uses (residential, commerical, industrial) rather than segregation. The strip mall you're referring to is probably not mixed-use if it is segregated from residential uses. The zoning code often requires these uses to be separate.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM

358 posts, read 450,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6004...Ln27A2L2Aw!2e0

Sacramento could use some improvement. Main entrance has sidewalks, but Sear's drive (down the street) you either hop the rose bushes or walk all the way down. I was staying at a hotel there for something and had to run across to buy a screw driver. I hopped the rose bushes, not a big deal but annoying.
My Sears example isn't working out so well. I was trying to describe the arrangement of Sears from inside of the mall, imagining that the mall's corridor was "Main Street". (Similar to a lifestyle center.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning