Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People don't work in a restaurant, a beauty shop, a dental office, a drug store? For all I know, someone is renting a little building there to do "office work".
Those are mostly retail jobs. I do see you added in a dentist office though, which does add a varied use. Insurance? Real estate? Those all diversify the strip mall. Maybe a non-profit or community organization?

If it is 100% retail it isn't mixed use.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That has always been the definition of mixed use. Suburb as well has a specific definition.

I don't know your strip mall by you, so I cannot tell you if it is good or bad.
Oh, it's bad, LOL! Please provide a link to a professional source for this definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It means the integration of different uses (residential, commerical, industrial) rather than segregation. The strip mall you're referring to is probably not mixed-use if it is segregated from residential uses. The zoning code often requires these uses to be separate.
Well, hell, all of you missed the part about building condos on the vacant grocery store land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Those are mostly retail jobs. I do see you added in a dentist office though, which does add a varied use. Insurance? Real estate? Those all diversify the strip mall. Maybe a non-profit or community organization?

If it is 100% retail it isn't mixed use.
A hairdresser isn't retail, either, nor is a shoe repair shop.

I'd ask for a link, but I really don't care what Atlantic Cities says.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 AM

358 posts, read 448,199 times
Here's a pretty good definition: Mixed Use Development

Quote:
Mixed-use development is development that blends residential, commercial, cultural, institutional, and where appropriate, industrial uses.

Mixed-use development:

allows for greater housing variety and density
reduces distances between housing, workplaces, retail businesses, and other destinations
encourages more compact development
strengthens neighborhood character
promotes pedestrian and bicycle friendly environments

Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,010,603 times
Quote:
Oh, it's bad, LOL! Please provide a link to a professional source for this definition.
http://m.dictionary.com/definition/mixed-use

Mixed-use development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those are both good sources to give you a general idea of what mixed use is. I am not saying mixed use is good and single use is bad, just saying there is a distinct difference between the two.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM

21,669 posts, read 24,806,479 times
Yes. So putting a small strip mall on the corner of residential feeder streets is definitely mixed-use which is what Katiana said.

Mixed-use
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...1f6aaa74197fdb

Very not mixed-use
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6352.../data=!3m1!1e3

Mixed-use isn't a black/white, it's a gradient. For example, a condo building with no ground floor is, by definition, single-use. But what you're usually looking at is the neighborhood composition. Or as your link says "mixed use is—in a broad sense—any urban, suburban or village development, or even a single building," emphasis added.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
That does not describe most of the strip malls I'm familiar with.

What is mixed use then? The strip mall near me has a Walgreen's, a liquor store, a shoe repair shop, a dental office, a hairdresser, a sports bar and a pizza parlor, off the top of my head. At times it's also had an exercise studio (now the sports bar). It used to have a grocery store and will again soon. Said grocery store is going to have a meeting room for public meetings. Since someone in a thread yesterday referred to a Safeway as a community center, I think the place I'm describing is "mixed use". There are also going to be some condos built on part of the old grocery store property.
The DELO development that is being planned for your downtown is mixed use, the proposed Coal Creek Station will be mixed use, and the Safeway site you are referring to is considered to be mixed use development. The Denver metro has lots of examples of mixed use for you to learn about.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:39 AM

I think I know what mixed use is. I thank everyone for their links. The strip mall I was referring to is in an area that is probably 75% (at least) residential. Only on the main road (S. Boulder Rd) is it commercial. I don't see why the residential has to be right in the shopping area for it to "count".

Old 02-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I think I know what mixed use is. I thank everyone for their links. The strip mall I was referring to is in an area that is probably 75% (at least) residential. Only on the main road (S. Boulder Rd) is it commercial. I don't see why the residential has to be right in the shopping area for it to "count".
Well there is a difference between mixed use building and mixed use development. A mixed use development is where you have a combination of single use buildings and mixed use buildings to make up an entire development.

As for making it count, that is just the meaning for the word. Neither single use or mixed use is better or worse, it all depends on how it is being used.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well there is a difference between mixed use building and mixed use development. A mixed use development is where you have a combination of single use buildings and mixed use buildings to make up an entire development.

As for making it count, that is just the meaning for the word. Neither single use or mixed use is better or worse, it all depends on how it is being used.
And a mixed-use block, or neighborhood.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And a mixed-use block, or neighborhood.
Sounds like you can't have that, by some people's definitions. If there aren't people living above stores, or within the confines of a retail area, it's not "mixed". If there aren't offices (of what kind?) it's not mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning