U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:53 AM

1,293 posts, read 947,259 times

Advertisements

I grew up in an outskirt of a huge city. As soon as I was trusted enough not to report to parents every hour, I started wondering to the city. I would just take a random bus, ride it for half hour, get out, carefully walk around (making sure I can see the street where I disembarked), then board the same bus going back to where I started. Next time, it would be a different bus. After that, I moved to this city and lived there for 25 years. Then I moved to the place I perceive as a village, even though there are about 30000 people. I can't stand the lack of architecture, lack of vertical structures, lack of constant change, of pulse, of cozy little coffee shops, culture (mean, real culture, not quilted blankets exhibits or amateur ballet with overweight high-school Odettas), no clothing style except plumbers' one, etc. etc. etc. I have no question about what kind of person I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:45 AM

13,855 posts, read 12,623,540 times
I'm a suburb person. I grew up in the suburbs and still live there. I like the whole environment of it:
  • Lot size provides an area for gardening, entertaining, kids running around. Lot sizes in my neighborhood are 50 feet wide by 150 deep. Would prefer them a bit wider and less deep. More distance between houses would provide more privacy, better shaped houses. Less depth would remove unused space toward the back of the lot, often behind garages where people used to garden but don't anymore.
  • The variety of houses. Every house on my street is different. They were built over a range of years. I hate cookie cutter subdivisions. There should be a law against them...that's how much I hate them.
  • Quiet. Not a lot of traffic. No streetcars screeching. Occasional loud car or kids screaming, but no big deal.
  • You can get to know your neighbors or you can avoid them. In a congested city, I don't think you get to know them as well; and in a small town, you know them too well.
  • Fresh air, trees, flowers, greenery, birds, squirrels. These are lacking in the dense urban areas.
  • Close to everything you need on a daily basis. Within walking distance or a short drive, I have several restaurants, doctors offices, library, post office, small shops, small grocery stores, drug stores, etc. Yet also have large grocery stores and malls nearby, unlike small towns.
  • Ability to go for walks or ride bike and not have to worry about dense city traffic or unpaved country roads. All the streets have sidewalks. Residential streets are wide and not heavily traveled. Very few cars parked on the street.
  • Plenty of job opportunities, unlike a small town.
  • Plenty of light, unlike the dark, gloomy canyons of high-rise filled downtowns.
The more I think about it, the more lucky I realize I am.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,362,769 times
I'm none of the above. I'm never home; between work and road trips on the weekend I may as well just live in a motel. As long as there are clean beds and a hot shower!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:36 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What was the experience or experiences that made you that way. I am looking at a more sociological point.

I know many people from the 60s and 70s who grew up in the early suburbs still like the suburbs today. I think family life has a big part of which one you like.

Many kids with the "leave it to beaver" life had a positive view of suburbs and want to return to that life. Others who had it hard want to be in cities because they feel more expected.

Small towns I feel are ones who want to escape cities and suburbs. It may also be an escape from the suburbs, but instead of finding people for acceptance you go somewhere to get away period from people. Suburbs are good for some because of the safety and quietness and protection if one grew up living in a poor urban part of a city.
I grew up in the suburbs and used to have thoughts of owning land until my taste in amenities changed. I much prefer to live in the city for the convenience and amenities.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,181,442 times
I think it depends which city and suburb you're talking about. I didn't really expect to find myself in a "big" city. And if I lived in a city, I never thought I'd find myself in a "suburb". I also never thought I'd live in a city where I could afford a (albeit small!) house with a yard so close to a downtown (which where I work), because I'd never lived anywhere with streetcar suburbs. In a different city, I might be happy in a row house or even apartment, as long as there were parks, a community garden, and other amenities nearby. If I retire someday, I'll probably be farther out in a semi-rural area, with a few chickens and a goat or two.

I don't know if I'm a [city/suburb/rural] person. Too much is dictated by where I work.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 AM

358 posts, read 359,643 times
As a kid I was always jealous of the kids who lived "in town". They could walk/bike to the ice cream shop, the baseball card shop, parks, and the school playground.

I lived in an area of subdivisions and farm fields. For some reason I really craved sidewalks, stores, and "walking around the block".

Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM

8,239 posts, read 11,102,038 times
I grew up in a small town and after many years of living in cities as large as LA I ended up in the same small town. Couldn't find anyplace better despite worldwide travel. I can be anywhere I need to be in ten minutes by car. I hate driving and wasting time commuting.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM

32,364 posts, read 59,787,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Sometimes I think I want to live on a farm, raise goats, grow hops, something like that but I'm not sure how long I would last with that kind of isolation.
It's the 21st Century now. We have autos and telephones and stuff to eliminate any isolation. Have you been watching too much Little House on the Prairie?

Reminds me of a small-town bank president I met awhile back. When I asked him why his bank was closed on Wednesdays, he said it was to accommodate the farmers who came into town on Saturdays. He looked very blank when I asked him "Don't farmers around here have trucks to get into town in 5 or 10 minutes?"

I think the Wednesday closing was just so the bank president could play golf on a weekday.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,885,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hip Bay Area suburbs are few and far between

The ones on the peninsula are decidedly not hip, but most have walkable portions. Coffee shops yes. But not excellent coffee shops.

I like living somewhere walkable with interesting stuff. I am open to city size mostly. If I lived in NYC I'd probably live in Brooklyn. I mostly like where I live now but I'd probably switch neighborhoods go be more walkable. I'd rather live close to the "Main Street". Now I am about 1/2 mike away.
Yeah but I'm sure every suburb has it's own downtown at least. A lack of great downtowns is why people complain about LA suburbia.

Even Redwood City, San Mateo, and Burlingame have their own downtowns. Is their any bay area suburb without a downtown?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:29 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,483,575 times
I won't live in town at all. I grew up on a farm and am a very light sleeper. When I started college, the constant noise in the dorm made it impossible for me to sleep, which led to depression and some serious health consequences. I live where the only noises at night are the wind in the trees and the water in the creek. The nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. I sleep well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning