Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This will depend on the city as well.
What will depend on city? The thread questions whether families will "really live in cities".
The link to the article regarding the rising unaffordability suggests that families (and singles) looking for affordable housing will be headed out of the city. Has nothing to do with race but rather the unsustainable economics of urbanism as promoted in these forums.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 07-10-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:57 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
What will depend on city? The thread questions whether families will "really live in cities".
The link to the article regarding the rising unaffordability suggests that families (and singles) looking for affordable housing will be headed out of the city. Has nothing to do with race but rather the unsustainable economics of urbanism as promoted in these forums.
Not all cities are unaffordable.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
True, but the article suggested rising housing costs are common in many, perhaps the majority of cities. Youngstown is an extreme for low housing costs, due to high levels of abandonment plus being a rather poor and small metro overall.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM

I didn't have Youngstown in mind when I made the post.

I don't keep a close eye on the real estate markets in these cities, but I believe housing in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, etc. is still relatively affordable.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
As to Pittsburgh, I can say while it's affordable by national standards, by local standards there has been a huge increase in prices in the walkable urban core.

Seven years ago, I bought a modest, 1260 square foot rowhouse for $53,000. We've put a lot of work into it, and can sell it for upwards of $200,000 now. This is a great thing, since now that we have two kids our house is getting way too small (especially having only one bathroom). We also don't have to worry about local schools now, so theoretically we can move anywhere in the city.

But the housing search has not gone well. It's pretty much impossible to buy a larger size rowhouse (e.g., 3-4 bedrooms, 1.5-2 baths) in Pittsburgh for under $300,000. By national standards this would be considered affordable, but by Pittsburgh standards it isn't really, and it would result in essentially a doubling of our current mortgage (which is around $525 per month). So even though our preferences are for an attached rowhouse with no front yard near a major business district, we're finding we'd need to make too many sacrifices ( too small, needs a lot of work, bad street parking situation) to only marginally trade up in space. Whereas if we look at one of the less walkable neighborhoods in the city, and a detached early 20th century home, we can just get a lot more house for the money.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Didn't say they were - but the typical city proponents in this forum tend to promote all the things that make cities unaffordable.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As to Pittsburgh, I can say while it's affordable by national standards, by local standards there has been a huge increase in prices in the walkable urban core.

Seven years ago, I bought a modest, 1260 square foot rowhouse for $53,000. We've put a lot of work into it, and can sell it for upwards of $200,000 now. This is a great thing, since now that we have two kids our house is getting way too small (especially having only one bathroom). We also don't have to worry about local schools now, so theoretically we can move anywhere in the city.

But the housing search has not gone well. It's pretty much impossible to buy a larger size rowhouse (e.g., 3-4 bedrooms, 1.5-2 baths) in Pittsburgh for under $300,000. By national standards this would be considered affordable, but by Pittsburgh standards it isn't really, and it would result in essentially a doubling of our current mortgage (which is around $525 per month). So even though our preferences are for an attached rowhouse with no front yard near a major business district, we're finding we'd need to make too many sacrifices ( too small, needs a lot of work, bad street parking situation) to only marginally trade up in space. Whereas if we look at one of the less walkable neighborhoods in the city, and a detached early 20th century home, we can just get a lot more house for the money.
How does that $300k compare to a newer house in the suburbs, though?

In Cleveland, (a city whose real estate I'm only marginally more familiar with) a fully renovated house in its most gentrified neighborhoods will still cost about the same as a nearly equivalent house in the stereotypical 'burbs.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
How does that $300k compare to a newer house in the suburbs, though?
It's almost certainly cheaper. Honestly I tend to filter out any houses built after 1929 from housing searches, so I don't like newer styles. We could easily buy a "dated house" (e.g., a historic one otherwise in good shape) in the top school districts in the county for around the same price however.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Good article here on housing affordability in Philly (relevant to a lot of other places) and if you scroll down it has a graph price per square foot in various cities.

Philly Has an Income Problem, Not a Housing Affordability Problem – Next City

Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM

632 posts, read 853,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Now just think about that for a minute. For what intrinsic reason should your rowhouse possibly
appreciate nearly 400% in seven years? Granted you've put a lot of work into it and surely have
reaped a lot of sweat equity. And if it is in certain neighborhoods that used to be sketchy but are
quickly gentrifying (Lawrenceville, East Liberty) that has an effect too.

But unless you built a deck out of 24 karat gold or something this is really hard to defend.
What I have noticed as a long-time Pittsburgher is a lot of people moving in here from D.C.,
Boston, the West Coast, etc. who have more money than brains. A house near my parents
that no local would ever have offered more than around $80K for recently went to a couple
from California for over $200 grand. They would have paid even more where they came from
so they think they are getting a good deal.

And realtors are taking full advantage of it.

Granted it does have the positive effect of encouraging people to move into long-declining
neighborhoods to buy fixer-uppers and invest in turning these places around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning