U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times

Advertisements

2 parents and 4 kids? Yeah, I can see how 2000 sq ft would be considered small. 2 adults and 1 kid could easily do an 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom home comfortably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 AM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
2 parents and 4 kids? Yeah, I can see how 2000 sq ft would be considered small. 2 adults and 1 kid could easily do an 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom home comfortably.
Ha! It's obvious you don't have any kids! You have no idea how much junk a baby seems to require. I'll admit, it's not all required equipment, but a crib and a car seat are definite needs. If you put the kid in the second BR, where are you going to keep your computer and other electronics? Where are you going to put your guests? We had 2 adults, one kid in a 1300 sf 3 BR house, and that was comfy. It got crowded with the second kid.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ha! It's obvious you don't have any kids! You have no idea how much junk a baby seems to require. I'll admit, it's not all required equipment, but a crib and a car seat are definite needs. If you put the kid in the second BR, where are you going to keep your computer and other electronics? Where are you going to put your guests? We had 2 adults, one kid in a 1300 sf 3 BR house, and that was comfy. It got crowded with the second kid.
he said one kid. You're both saying the same thing.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
If you put the kid in the second BR, where are you going to keep your computer and other electronics? Where are you going to put your guests? We had 2 adults, one kid in a 1300 sf 3 BR house, and that was comfy. It got crowded with the second kid.
Computer laptop. You can have a small desk in the living room or some other common room
Guests I don't have a guest room, and know many people that don't. Couch or air mattress

Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Computer laptop. You can have a small desk in the living room or some other common room
Guests I don't have a guest room, and know many people that don't. Couch or air mattress
I think a 2BR could be done, but I think few people would want to do it. I think you would need at least 3BR for most people to consider city living as a long-term proposition.

I wouldn't mind putting my friends on air mattress though that's getting harder to do now that many of them have infants and toddlers. Definitely not putting my mom on an air mattress.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
he said one kid. You're both saying the same thing.
No, he said 1100 sf 2 BR. My personal experience was with 1300 sf and 3 BRs.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
LOL, Bajan beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think a 2BR could be done, but I think few people would want to do it. I think you would need at least 3BR for most people to consider city living as a long-term proposition.

I wouldn't mind putting my friends on air mattress though that's getting harder to do now that many of them have infants and toddlers. Definitely not putting my mom on an air mattress.
We have a guest room we used to call "the grandma room". Actually, my mom stayed with us for a while. It's not a necessity, but it's nice to have.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
No, he said 1100 sf 2 BR. My personal experience was with 1300 sf and 3 BRs.
Oh, I thought 1100 sf and 1300 sf was about the same thing, didn't think the bedroom number mattered as much, but I agree three bedrooms would be nicer.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree most families would want 3 BR except for maybe with just one child. If you don't mind me asking, how many bedrooms do you have? Are you planning on staying in the city with kids (if/when)?

Quote:
LOL. Didn't think of that. There are rollaway mattress and couch to bed conversions that could work.

My parents seem to expect I visit them rather than the other way around. Before I owned a car, it would be more mixed.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
I agree most families would want 3 BR except for maybe with just one child. If you don't mind me asking, how many bedrooms do you have? Are you planning on staying in the city with kids (if/when)?
We have two bedrooms with no kids (yet). Whether we stay in the city depends on how the school situation shakes out. We still own a house in DC so that may be an option if we can't make New York work for us.

Quote:
LOL. Didn't think of that. There are rollaway mattress and couch to bed conversions that could work
To be honest, the moment someone pulls a bed out of a couch is the moment I start looking for hotels on my phone. Once you hit 30, it's tough to sleep on those beds that offer hardly any support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or