U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ha! It's obvious you don't have any kids! You have no idea how much junk a baby seems to require. I'll admit, it's not all required equipment, but a crib and a car seat are definite needs. If you put the kid in the second BR, where are you going to keep your computer and other electronics? Where are you going to put your guests? We had 2 adults, one kid in a 1300 sf 3 BR house, and that was comfy. It got crowded with the second kid.
Well I don't know about your personal experience, but my sister in law seems to be doing just fine with their two bedroom house, 2 adults and 1 kid.

As for where to put the computer, these days it is just a laptop and you can put that anywhere. Guests can stay in a hotel, though my sister in law does use the small extra room for guests. Not sure what other electronics you are referring to, nothing I have needs it's own room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think a 2BR could be done, but I think few people would want to do it. I think you would need at least 3BR for most people to consider city living as a long-term proposition.

I wouldn't mind putting my friends on air mattress though that's getting harder to do now that many of them have infants and toddlers. Definitely not putting my mom on an air mattress.
It is all about the quality of the air mattress. I put my mom on an air mattress for a month recently and it was more comfortable than a regular mattress. It was also an expensive air mattress.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:32 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is all about the quality of the air mattress. I put my mom on an air mattress for a month recently and it was more comfortable than a regular mattress. It was also an expensive air mattress.
That depends on the quality of mattress you're used to sleeping on. In college, my mattresses were crap. After I got married, my wife forced me to throw away my old bed and buy a mattress that costs more than the newest flatscreen TVs on the market. As I've gotten older, my threshold for acceptable comfort has increased.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
When we first moved into our current house (technically a two bedroom, one bath, 1260 square feet) we had our second bedroom set up as a "guest room." I think we had one guest in the entire two years before we had kids. We realized in a small house having a guest room was sort of a waste of space. Eventually we finished the attic, moved our bedroom up there, converted our old bedroom into a computer room, and the "guest room" into our daughter's bedroom. Worked out fine with only one kid, but now a new baby is in the picture, it's starting to get hairy.

IMHO a three-bedroom, 1.5 bath is the minimum you can have in the modern era with a family of four. There's no precise square footage, because so much depends upon layout though. Out house's square footage is in one sense efficient because there are no hallways. However, one of the two official "bedrooms" is useless for this because you need to go through it to get to the only bathroom, as well as the attic. The attic is also a big open space large enough for two bedrooms, and there is a "dressing room" off the bathroom which has some wasted space. So I could easily see a 1260 square foot house with the proper number of bedrooms and bathrooms with better flow. I lean more towards 1500 as a comfortable minimum square footage for a family however.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
There is a poster who posted here a number of times who lived in one bedroom apartment with a family of five (briefly, baby came just before move out).

Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There is a poster who posted here a number of times who lived in one bedroom apartment with a family of five (briefly, baby came just before move out).
People do that all of the time in the Bronx and in Queens. Not many who would do that if they had other options.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People do that all of the time in the Bronx and in Queens. Not many who would do that if they had other options.
He was in Brooklyn. Family moved out to Staten Island afterwards probably partly for that reason.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:58 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,657,858 times
I'm having bad luck trying to sell or rent my previous house. Most people who look at it, complain that it's too small. (3BR, 1BA, 900 s.f.) Having spent most of my childhood living in 2BR 1BA apartments, and part of a family of 4, this is frustrating.

When I was looking for my project house, I wouldn't look at anything over 2500 s.f. (this was difficult in the neighborhood in which I was looking)

Old 07-16-2014, 11:09 AM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Well I don't know about your personal experience, but my sister in law seems to be doing just fine with their two bedroom house, 2 adults and 1 kid.

As for where to put the computer, these days it is just a laptop and you can put that anywhere. Guests can stay in a hotel, though my sister in law does use the small extra room for guests. Not sure what other electronics you are referring to, nothing I have needs it's own room.
Well, by computer I meant more like "office". Many people use a desk for the laptop. One rule of thumb with raising kids is "never wake a sleeping baby". Many people don't like to ask family to use a hotel.

Quote:
Your mom is probably about my age. Wait 10 years and get back to me about putting her on an air mattress.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, by computer I meant more like "office". Many people use a desk for the laptop. One rule of thumb with raising kids is "never wake a sleeping baby". Many people don't like to ask family to use a hotel.

Your mom is probably about my age. Wait 10 years and get back to me about putting her on an air mattress.
Most people don't need a desk for a laptop, we are getting rid of ours because we don't use it and it takes up space. As for hotels, everyone is different, I have no problem telling family to use a hotel unless it is one person or for a night type thing.

I don't know your age, but I do know we have a very nice air mattress that is not your
old fashion air mattress. But that isn't really important to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or