U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 02:51 PM

12,476 posts, read 11,979,561 times

Advertisements

As I said, in my experience a "guest room" offers too much wasted space in a reasonably-sized house. If you have an extra bedroom no one is sleeping in, you'd be better off setting it up as an office, or a playroom if you have kids. Sure, you can make it convertible by putting a futon or hide-a-bed in it, but IMHO unless you're rich or an empty nester who's built up a lot of equity it's not worthwhile to set up bedrooms which are unused 95%+ of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 02:52 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,750,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, I'm just an old lady, right?

I was just out walking (imagine that!) with a friend whose son and family are arriving tonight, 5 people, from LA. The son is younger than you. They're staying with my friend. When my friend and her husband (who is of course also my friend) go to visit them in CA they stay at their condo. Different strokes for different folks is more like it.

I can't imagine you have nothing to print. We just printed out boarding passes for our trip to MN. You have to do that in advance or it costs more.

ETA: It seems to me that families with a stay-at-home parent might require more space than families where both parents work, simply b/c the parent and kids are home all day.
I use my printer maybe 2x a year. Maybe. I am sure the ink is dried out. I have had it for 6 years, and I would be amazed if I used it more than 20 times. And half of those were for the scanner.

I typically use e-boarding passes. I stopped printing out directions when the phone could navigate. I get e-tickets or will call for concerts and events. I e-file my taxes. I use trip it to organize trip confirmation numbers and just save them in a note on my phone/ipad/email.

I check-in online, and if the flight doesn't have eboarding passes I print them at the airport

Basically the only use for my printer is to copy the new lease from my landlord! Oh and maybe once a year when I go on a trip and I have to drive myself, I print out the off-site parking coupon.

Things I used to scan, I take pictures of and save to my computer. Therefore the printer rarely gets used.

I would get rid of it completely, but I have no idea where to put it for donation. I'll just keep it until it dies.

I print a little more at work, about once every 6 weeks. When I am struggling with editing something electronically or I have HR paperwork.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:55 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,600,501 times
Quote:
I think this is one of these issues of some people not having any idea how the "other half" lives. It seems you cannot imagine someone in a living situation that they can't afford several nights in a hotel/motel at $100+/night. There are a lot of people in such circumstances, who still might like to visit their families.

There are some 3 BR+ condos on that list, up to 5 BR I think in the million plus category. The point is, the cost of the house is not always directly related to its size, so to say that the money you save by having a smaller home would give you, the host, extra money to pay for a hotel/motel is simply not true in every case. It's especially untrue if you live in a pricey "hipster" area.
I don't have any issue with how the other half live, I get that people like you want to have space for guests to visit. I just don't think you understand that not everyone wants that extra space for guests.

Question for you, what should I buy a 2 bedroom house in the neighborhood I want to live in or a 4 bedroom house out in the suburbs where I don't want to live? The correct answer is I will buy a house where ever I want because it is my money. If I don't want extra space for guests, then I don't need to.

If the person visiting can't afford a room and doesn't want to sleep on my couch for the night and I can't afford to pay for their hotel room, then I won't be seeing that person.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Typically when we had guest over they got an bedroom to themselves or were out on the couch.
LOL! I know about this scenario. Growing up we had the "big house" so there was an extra bedroom for the adult guests, and the kid guest would get the sofa bed. If there were too many guests, then my sister would have to give up her room and sleep in my room! When I had a twin bed, she got the sleeping bag. When I had a full bed we split the beds. Later on my sister's room had 2 twin beds, so she got the kid guests. And sometimes, some would choose to sleep in my room with a sleeping bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Ugh, heck no would I give people my bed and sleep on the couch in my own home.
My aunt does, she wouldn't have it any other way when we visit. She sleeps on the couch and gives up her room!

Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I never saw much point in spending an extra $50,000 or so for an extra bedroom in case I have relatives coming to visit. With the money I save not owning a house with that extra room that gets used a few times a year, I can afford to pay for their hotel room if they come to visit.
If I can afford it, I'd rather have an extra room. Now I live in a studio apartment and I have 2 beds. One acts as a pseudo couch and is used for guests too. My sister moved in for 6 months, and I had another friend do that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think anyone gets an extra bedroom solely for that reason. The primary reason for us is to have extra space. Other considerations are space for guests and greater potential rental income. It's also easier to sell a 2BR unit.

We've also had people live with us long-term (around 6 months), which would have been challenging with a one-bedroom.
Growing up this happened all the time. Aunts, cousins, uncles, parents friends and so on. We even had a 6 month period where my parents took in my deployed cousin's 3 kids and wife! They went to school with us and everything.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM

87,071 posts, read 102,800,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I said, in my experience a "guest room" offers too much wasted space in a reasonably-sized house. If you have an extra bedroom no one is sleeping in, you'd be better off setting it up as an office, or a playroom if you have kids. Sure, you can make it convertible by putting a futon or hide-a-bed in it, but IMHO unless you're rich or an empty nester who's built up a lot of equity it's not worthwhile to set up bedrooms which are unused 95%+ of the time.
This discussion has gotten out of hand. I am not advocating buying a house with an extra bedroom just for guests, that is unused 95% of the time. I'm not going to repeat what I've already said, as that will lead to accusations of that cardinal sin, being "defensive". I do think it's nice to be able to accomodate guests, even if on a pull out couch in your living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I use my printer maybe 2x a year. Maybe. I am sure the ink is dried out. I have had it for 6 years, and I would be amazed if I used it more than 20 times. And half of those were for the scanner.

I typically use e-boarding passes. I stopped printing out directions when the phone could navigate. I get e-tickets or will call for concerts and events. I e-file my taxes. I use trip it to organize trip confirmation numbers and just save them in a note on my phone/ipad/email.

I check-in online, and if the flight doesn't have eboarding passes I print them at the airport

Basically the only use for my printer is to copy the new lease from my landlord! Oh and maybe once a year when I go on a trip and I have to drive myself, I print out the off-site parking coupon.

Things I used to scan, I take pictures of and save to my computer. Therefore the printer rarely gets used.

I would get rid of it completely, but I have no idea where to put it for donation. I'll just keep it until it dies.

I print a little more at work, about once every 6 weeks. When I am struggling with editing something electronically or I have HR paperwork.
Fine, fine, fine. My point wasn't the !*%^Y&^ printer. It was about having some room for activities other than eating, sleeping and recreating (watching TV, reading, etc) in one's home. My millenial kids set up one of their bedrooms as an "office". Where do you guys keep receipts and other business papers? Not in the kitchen cupboards or the bedroom closets, I doubt. Where do you keep the sewing machine, the iron, whatever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't have any issue with how the other half live, I get that people like you want to have space for guests to visit. I just don't think you understand that not everyone wants that extra space for guests.

Question for you, what should I buy a 2 bedroom house in the neighborhood I want to live in or a 4 bedroom house out in the suburbs where I don't want to live? The correct answer is I will buy a house where ever I want because it is my money. If I don't want extra space for guests, then I don't need to.

If the person visiting can't afford a room and doesn't want to sleep on my couch for the night and I can't afford to pay for their hotel room, then I won't be seeing that person.
I don't give a damn where you live. It's your attitude I find appalling. You won't give up your bedroom for ANYONE, you're only willing to put someone up on a couch? Good grief! I'm more like Bajan Yankee and jade408. When my relatives from Wisconsin visited, we kids slept in the attic on some old Army cots my mom had. The adults got our beds. Even most assisted living facilities have a couple of guest rooms where someone can put up a guest.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:30 PM

28,312 posts, read 26,328,326 times
Kind of a funny piece below.

Quote:
The US-dwellers' lack of awareness is mind blowing. Child cruelty, or they must have a summer house because people can't live like this? Wow. In Europe we lived in a studio apartment until my baby sister was two, and then in a one-bedroom well into secondary school. There was no choice, it never occurred to us that it would be cruel, and believe me none of these places were as well-planned an luxurious as this. And we still had it much better than many third worlds families of 12. Perspective, people.
Is Living in Small Spaces Cruel To Children? : TreeHugger

You often hear the "in other countries they raise families in studios" assertion, and as true as that may be, Americans generally have much larger options available to them than most of the world. Hence Americans finding many of the housing options in urban areas unsuitable for child rearing.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:59 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,600,501 times
Quote:
I don't give a damn where you live. It's your attitude I find appalling. You won't give up your bedroom for ANYONE, you're only willing to put someone up on a couch? Good grief! I'm more like Bajan Yankee and jade408. When my relatives from Wisconsin visited, we kids slept in the attic on some old Army cots my mom had. The adults got our beds. Even most assisted living facilities have a couple of guest rooms where someone can put up a guest.
Why does it matter to you so much where I let someone sleep with my place? I have no problem with where you let people sleep. You really need to let this argument go and get back to the actual topic.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Kind of a funny piece below.

Is Living in Small Spaces Cruel To Children? : TreeHugger

You often hear the "in other countries they raise families in studios" assertion, and as true as that may be, Americans generally have much larger options available to them than most of the world. Hence Americans finding many of the housing options in urban areas unsuitable for child rearing.
Kinda why I brought up the family of five in one bedroom. That poster didn't see much wrong with it, either. Not saying families should choose to live in something, but again as perspective (American homes are large even for developed world standards).

How many square feet of living space do the residents of your home have?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,110,497 times
Quote:
It was about having some room for activities other than eating, sleeping and recreating (watching TV, reading, etc) in one's home. My millenial kids set up one of their bedrooms as an "office". Where do you guys keep receipts and other business papers? Not in the kitchen cupboards or the bedroom closets, I doubt. Where do you keep the sewing machine, the iron, whatever?
Iron Bedroom closet. Reciepts and such I have a desk in my bedroom, otherwise you could find a drawer somewhere. Most millienials I know in city apartments don't have any spare rooms; it'd eat up too much in rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or