U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:44 PM

6,433 posts, read 9,951,901 times

Advertisements

Unless you're rich, cities are for the ghetto. Not a place for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That is a false generalization.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,494,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
My wife and I are only planning on having one kid and are planning on raising that kid in an inner city neighborhood in Portland, OR. The bigger the family one wants, the more space they usually prefer. Raising more than two kids in any city these days is hard to do.
I want to have an only child, too. I'd like to do so because I enjoy nice things and I also love vacations. I also fear that I won't treat my children the same. For instance, my parents didn't document my brother's (who is younger) milestones. So, they threw away my baby book.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,937,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is definitely wrong. Most city neighborhoods are not "ghetto" or "rich".

Unless we're talking maybe Detroit, and one or two others the major U.S. cities tend to not be dominated by "ghetto" neighborhoods, and really no U.S. city is mostly "rich".

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 908,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I would think it's a better idea. The commute for mom and dad will be short. The kid can go to some fancy private school. There are plenty of activities in the city for kids.

ETA: Notice I said "the kid" as in a family of 3. Chances are if you have 3 or more kids, the suburbs are more suitable.
What if your job isn't in "the city"? If families are going to move back into the city, then the jobs need to move back there as well.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
What if your job isn't in "the city"? If families are going to move back into the city, then the jobs need to move back there as well.
There are still a lot of people that work in our cities.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There are still a lot of people that work in our cities.
That's true, but assuming suburbanites who move to the city will gain a shorter commute is an overgeneralization.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:35 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,494,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Not necessarily. If you live in the city, but work in the suburbs in most metro areas that's not a problem. In most big cities, rush hour traffic is caused by those who live in the suburbs but work in the city (morning rush hour is from suburbs to city and afternoon rush hour is city to suburbs). Therefore, the commute for a city-dweller to the suburbs would be rather short.

ETA: Without traffic, I live 20 min. above ATL and with traffic it's 45 min. to an hour.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:15 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's true, but assuming suburbanites who move to the city will gain a shorter commute is an overgeneralization.
It also will depend on the city/area too. I believe that Brookings had a guide recently that showed the percentage of jobs in an area within a certain distance of the CBD/employment centers. So, living within the city may also depend on commuting patterns and employment centers, among other factors.

Here is a thread discussing job sprawl: Which metro areas concentrate jobs in the core and which like to sprawl their jobs?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,654,530 times
In some cities, the jobs that left, did so to follow the people that moved to the burbs. So, it stands to reason that, if people move back to the city, the jobs will follow them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or