U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM

56,610 posts, read 80,910,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I do not think so. Cities are expensive. I think it costs more to get the same standard of living in a city that you would in a suburb. I do not think that most ppl with kids can afford a good school and safe and clean neighborhood in a city.
It depends on the city, on all accounts. With that said, it does seem like in order for it do be done, everything has to line up accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 PM

6,569 posts, read 8,103,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a false generalization.
No more false than the generalizations by many about the suburbs

Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 PM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
To get back to the OP, the question really wasn't "will families live in cities?" or even "will white families live in cities?" It was "will SWPL parents stay in cities?"

The reason I think it's important to make this generalization is because a gentrifying city will push out both working-class whites and people of color over time, as the cost differential between the cities and the suburbs becomes greater. However, it may be within that one narrow category (upper-middle class white parents) there is actually an uptick. But given this demographic seems to get married later, less frequently, and has less kids, it's unlikely to be enough to stem the decline in other types of children in urban centers.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 PM

1,110 posts, read 909,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Not necessarily. If you live in the city, but work in the suburbs in most metro areas that's not a problem. In most big cities, rush hour traffic is caused by those who live in the suburbs but work in the city (morning rush hour is from suburbs to city and afternoon rush hour is city to suburbs). Therefore, the commute for a city-dweller to the suburbs would be rather short.

ETA: Without traffic, I live 20 min. above ATL and with traffic it's 45 min. to an hour.
I don't think so anymore. A large number of people would be commuting to the same office park, so starting out the trip might be faster but as you got closer to your destination, several more people would join you on the same roadway, creating the same traffic jams as those that plague the people commuting downtown. Essentially, there's no difference, unless you work at a location that there isn't a large migration towards every morning.

Source: I used to drive to Alpharetta for work. Absolutely terrible. It didn't matter if you took GA-92 or 285, it was terrible. And 400 headed toward downtown Atlanta was also locked up. I even drove through the city to get to the airport around 5 pm. Bad decision.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM

27,168 posts, read 29,669,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I don't see decentralization as a problem, and I don't see how that makes it hard to have "efficient" transit. What would the alternative be?
___________________________________________***____ ________________________________

BTW, for those of you interested in the US 36 BRT/"Ghost Train" issue, ie, no one, here's some entertaining reading.
Harsh words for CDOT at public meeting on 50-year U.S. 36 contract - Boulder Daily Camera
CDOT beaten up in Round 2 of U.S. 36 public meetings - Boulder Daily Camera
CDOT releases 600-page U.S. 36 management contract for public review - Boulder Daily Camera
Because no one is going to the same place or starting from the same place. There are lots job centers and home centers, but most do not have enough density to have efficient transit from either. And the Silicon Valley job centers are mostly in sprawling office parks. So if you can take transit to the suburb, the office parks are still 3-4 miles from the train with limited or no connecting bus service.

Let's take google. Google is located in suburban mountain view. About 30% of its employees live in San Francisco, some live in Oakland, some live in Sunnyvale, some live in San Jose, some live in Cupertino.... It's radius for employees is about a 40 miles in any direction. Facebook is 10 miles north in a similar suburban location. Twitter is in downtown San Francisco. All are pulling a 40 mike radius. And just as many people are radiating out into other locations.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
The Denver Technology Center has 35,000 employees.
The Denver Fed Center in Lakewood has 6200.
I can't find a total for Interlocken in Broomfield, but the two largest employers there have 4000 and there are many more.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
I can't find a total for Interlocken in Broomfield, but the two largest employers there have 4000 and there are many more.
Those are all small compared to a downtown. Not specifically downtown, but from the link provided by ckhthankgod shows there are 220,000 jobs within 3 miles of downtown Denver.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:04 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Those are all small compared to a downtown. Not specifically downtown, but from the link provided by ckhthankgod shows there are 220,000 jobs within 3 miles of downtown Denver.
Still enough for transit. The proof of the pudding, etc.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Still enough for transit.
How can you tell it's enough, especially if spread over a large area. 8x means a lot higher frequencies and/or transit that doesn't run empty. Most suburbs have a direct transit connection with downtown, to other job centers, less often unless they're right nearby.

Quote:
The proof of the pudding, etc.
Not sure what that means.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Quote:
The Denver Tech Center does have buses that run through that district. Are you saying it needs more transit or that it has plenty of transit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or