Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's true, but assuming suburbanites who move to the city will gain a shorter commute is an overgeneralization.
That's for sure! It depends on where work is, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Not necessarily. If you live in the city, but work in the suburbs in most metro areas that's not a problem. In most big cities, rush hour traffic is caused by those who live in the suburbs but work in the city (morning rush hour is from suburbs to city and afternoon rush hour is city to suburbs). Therefore, the commute for a city-dweller to the suburbs would be rather short.

ETA: Without traffic, I live 20 min. above ATL and with traffic it's 45 min. to an hour.
In some cities, there's not much of a "reverse commute" any more. In Denver, yes, there's the commute to downtown, but there's also the commute to Boulder, Broomfield and the Tech Center as major employment hubs. Plus there's quite a bit of employment in Jefferson and Adams Counties as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 09:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
That's true, but assuming suburbanites who move to the city will gain a shorter commute is an overgeneralization.
That depends on the suburbanite. If they work downtown, it makes sense for them to move closer to downtown, if they work in the suburb it makes sense for them to move closer to their job in the suburbs.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's for sure! It depends on where work is, etc.

In some cities, there's not much of a "reverse commute" any more. In Denver, yes, there's the commute to downtown, but there's also the commute to Boulder, Broomfield and the Tech Center as major employment hubs. Plus there's quite a bit of employment in Jefferson and Adams Counties as well.
Yup. The big problem in the Bay Area is that there are multiple job centers..and no one is going the same way so traffic sucks for everyone going almost anywhere. And since things are decentralized, it is hard to make efficient transit. And of course Silicon Valley is sprawl like suburbia.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That depends on the suburbanite. If they work downtown, it makes sense for them to move closer to downtown, if they work in the suburb it makes sense for them to move closer to their job in the suburbs.
That's the first time I ever heard an urbanist say that! I've been saying it for years on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup. The big problem in the Bay Area is that there are multiple job centers..and no one is going the same way so traffic sucks for everyone going almost anywhere. And since things are decentralized, it is hard to make efficient transit. And of course Silicon Valley is sprawl like suburbia.
I don't see decentralization as a problem, and I don't see how that makes it hard to have "efficient" transit. What would the alternative be?
___________________________________________***____ ________________________________

BTW, for those of you interested in the US 36 BRT/"Ghost Train" issue, ie, no one, here's some entertaining reading.
Harsh words for CDOT at public meeting on 50-year U.S. 36 contract - Boulder Daily Camera
CDOT beaten up in Round 2 of U.S. 36 public meetings - Boulder Daily Camera
CDOT releases 600-page U.S. 36 management contract for public review - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 02-16-2014, 02:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:

I don't see decentralization as a problem, and I don't see how that makes it hard to have "efficient" transit. What would the alternative be?
Transit works best for routes that are in high demand. It's much easier to have a transit system to services everywhere to one place really well rather than everywhere to everywhere. Generally, high commute transit usage correlates with stronger downtowns, for both positive reasons (as I mentioned) and negative (driving is less convenient in a centralized city as roads are more congestion and parking may be expensive or difficult to find.

We could argue over whether centralization or decentralization is better though maybe that's another thread.

Quote:

But isn't the downtown commute more congested than the rest?

Old 02-16-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Transit works best for routes that are in high demand. It's much easier to have a transit system to services everywhere to one place really well rather than everywhere to everywhere. Generally, high commute transit usage correlates with stronger downtowns, for both positive reasons (as I mentioned) and negative (driving is less convenient in a centralized city as roads are more congestion and parking may be expensive or difficult to find.

We could argue over whether centralization or decentralization is better though maybe that's another thread.

But isn't the downtown commute more congested than the rest?
Maybe. I'm not sure, and I don't feel like looking up stats right now. The Denver Tech Center has a LOT of employees, as does the Lakewood Federal Center, the Interlocken Office Park in Broomfield, and the city of Boulder. Ditto the CU Health Sciences Center in Aurora.

Not to mention, people commute to downtown from all areas of the suburbs, whereas people who live and work in the burbs usually live fairly close to their work.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I do not think so. Cities are expensive. I think it costs more to get the same standard of living in a city that you would in a suburb. I do not think that most ppl with kids can afford a good school and safe and clean neighborhood in a city.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Maybe. I'm not sure, and I don't feel like looking up stats right now. The Denver Tech Center has a LOT of employees, as does the Lakewood Federal Center, the Interlocken Office Park in Broomfield, and the city of Boulder. Ditto the CU Health Sciences Center in Aurora.
One way to judge congestion would be to check google traffic at rush hour over a number of days.

Quote:
Not to mention, people commute to downtown from all areas of the suburbs, whereas people who live and work in the burbs usually live fairly close to their work.
Maybe, though if two spouses have jobs in different places, at least one might have a long commute. The first could be a plus, as a downtown is somewhat accessible for most of the region, while an office on one side of the metro may have difficulty getting workers from the other side.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
One way to judge congestion would be to check google traffic at rush hour over a number of days.

Maybe, though if two spouses have jobs in different places, at least one might have a long commute. The first could be a plus, as a downtown is somewhat accessible for most of the region, while an office on one side of the metro may have difficulty getting workers from the other side.
Most people here like to live somewhat close to their jobs b/c of the snow. The long commutes you read about in Cali are rare here. I've been in the situation of commuting in the opposite direction of my spouse, but usually for about the same distance. Neither of us was going downtown. In 33 years here, and 3 jobs in 6-8 locations, DH has never worked downtown. I had a couple of visiting nurse jobs where the office was downtown, but my area of visiting was not. I'd go into the office once a month or so.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
That's the first time I ever heard an urbanist say that! I've been saying it for years on this forum.

___________________________________________***____ ________________________________

BTW, for those of you interested in the US 36 BRT/"Ghost Train" issue, ie, no one, here's some entertaining reading.
Harsh words for CDOT at public meeting on 50-year U.S. 36 contract - Boulder Daily Camera
CDOT beaten up in Round 2 of U.S. 36 public meetings - Boulder Daily Camera
CDOT releases 600-page U.S. 36 management contract for public review - Boulder Daily Camera
Concentrated decentralization isn't a problem. You see that anywhere that transit is utilized, including the bay area. Lots of job centers are at BART stations in the East Bay, for example. Something like Los Angeles or Silicon Valley are difficult to handle for transportation. That's kind of changing, you're seeing some clustering around Caltrain. You might eventually see corridors around VTA light rail in San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning