Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

The other issue is a married couple usually earns about the same as a married couple with two kids. But the married couple with kids but can't afford anymore space though they want more space. It doesn't make financial sense for a developer to sell larger apartments when they can make more money selling two smaller apartments for childless couples.

[An apartment large enough for a family could take up twice the space but would be difficult to sell for twice the price]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The other issue is a married couple usually earns about the same as a married couple with two kids. But the married couple with kids but can't afford anymore space though they want more space. It doesn't make financial sense for a developer to sell larger apartments when they can make more money selling two smaller apartments for childless couples.

[An apartment large enough for a family could take up twice the space but would be difficult to sell for twice the price]
That is where cities come into play by offering tax credits, waives fees, gives building height credits or allow for more units than what is zoned for. Which usually have requirements for how much income one could buy or rent these larger places for.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Are we talking about downtown Denver or Denver Tech Center? The post you are commenting about is about Denver Tech Center and suburban office parks, but it seems like you are talking about downtown Denver in your post.
I see you didn't look at the links. Your bad.

Quote:
I don't know much about Denver Tech Center. However, while its transit service may be good it's still less convenient than downtown for many. First, light rail. Every light rail line in Denver goes downtown. Not all of them go to the Tech Center, so you'd have to change trains so it'd likely be a longer trip for many. As for buses, I'd assume most suburbs in Denver have direct bus service to downtown, while going to Denver Tech Center might require transfers.

And many office parks aren't as well as served as the Denver Tech Center. Note it has the word "center" in it, which suggests it's a bit large and concentrated. The closest office park area to my parent's home has one bus line serving it. The service frequency isn't bad, though not as good as Denver Tech Center. But anyone not living near that bus line would be out luck transit-wise. I suppose one could transfer, but the other bus lines have low frequencies and don't coordinate their times, that anyone values their time at all wouldn't do that. Plus, the office parks aren't that centralized and some are setback rather far from the road or on another nearby road, making them a bit of a long trek from the bus. Some office parks in Long Island are better transit-wise than that, but most aren't that well served.
Less convenient? Every 15 minutes isn't good enough? Good grief!

The DTC Story | DTC Meridian
**DTC encourages the use of measures to reduce reliance on single occupancy of vehicles through both a rideshare program (which allocates 5% of total parking as preferential parking for its users) and an extensive bus system. A major timed transfer bus stop (pulse point) of the Regional Transportation District (RTD) is located in northern DTC. Express route bus services is available via I-25 and Arapahoe Road. The regional, local and internal service is outstanding, with several bus shelters and stops throughout. Employees have a fairly direct connection to DTC from all areas of Metropolitan Denver on over-the-road buses allowing commuters to work while riding.

An internal shuttle bus service system was initiated by the Regional Transportation District. This system supplements RTD service within the area of I-225 to Arapahoe Road between Yosemite Street on the east and Monaco Street on the west. Service headways are 5 minutes peak, and 15 minutes off peak.

I honestly don't know what the argument is. If you work in DTC, you work in DTC and you make arrangements to get there. Are you going to turn down a good job b/c you might have to transfer buses to get to work?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I see you didn't look at the links. Your bad.

I did and they all seemed to be about downtown Denver, why do you feel the need to be so rude? I was actually just asking a question for you to clarify.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Less convenient? Every 15 minutes isn't good enough? Good grief!
I said nothing about frequency. You ignored the rest of my post. Check the transit times from Louisville to downtown vs Denver Tech Center:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=L...m&z=11&start=0

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=L...m&z=10&start=0

maybe not the best comparison as it's on the opposite side of Denver. How about Englewood?

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...m&z=11&start=0

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...m&z=13&start=0

going to downtown is faster despite being further away

Old 02-18-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I did and they all seemed to be about downtown Denver, why do you feel the need to be so rude? I was actually just asking a question for you to clarify.
Quote:
I said nothing about frequency. You ignored the rest of my post.
Gosh, you guys are in attack mode today! LOL about calling me "rude", urbanlife78.

The links in the quote you posted are about "Transportation Denver Tech Center Area" (so stated), an RTD Light Rail map, and light rail schedules for the two routes that serve, get this, The Denver Tech Center!

nei, why should I reply to assumptions about places I know nothing about? And isn't frequency a part of convenience, which is what your post was about? Furthermore, I posted from an article about the DTC that discusses BUS service to that area. And yeah, you did say something about frequency in your parents' area.

I still don't understand what the argument is about. You didn't respond to my comments about that! Is one supposed to turn down an engineering job at the DTC in favor of one downtown, say, working in retail or a restaurant b/c of the bus service? Is one supposed to turn down a job at the Tech Center (or not look there in the first place) in favor of job hunting only downtown? What if one lives near the Tech Center to begin with?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Gosh, you guys are in attack mode today! LOL about calling me "rude", urbanlife78.

The links in the quote you posted are about "Transportation Denver Tech Center Area" (so stated), an RTD Light Rail map, and light rail schedules for the two routes that serve, get this, The Denver Tech Center!

nei, why should I reply to assumptions about places I know nothing about? And isn't frequency a part of convenience, which is what your post was about? Furthermore, I posted from an article about the DTC that discusses BUS service to that area. And yeah, you did say something about frequency in your parents' area.

I still don't understand what the argument is about. You didn't respond to my comments about that! Is one supposed to turn down an engineering job at the DTC in favor of one downtown, say, working in retail or a restaurant b/c of the bus service? Is one supposed to turn down a job at the Tech Center (or not look there in the first place) in favor of job hunting only downtown? What if one lives near the Tech Center to begin with?
Again, you don't have to be so rude, I might have actually missed that. Just for the record I am enjoying this conversation and I am not on "attack mode." Maybe you should turn off your rude defense mode so a real conversation can happen.

Last edited by urbanlife78; 02-18-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Again, you don't have to be so rude, I might of actually missed that. Just for the record I am enjoying this conversation and I am not on "attack mode." Maybe you should turn off your rude defense mode so a real conversation can happen.
It's funny that you "might of" missed the entire context of my post, then told me I wasn't addressing the issue.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
It's funny that you "might of" missed the entire context of my post, then told me I wasn't addressing the issue.
Yes, thank you for catching a spelling mistake. It is an old habit of mine, usually I am better at catching that mistake.

I was simply asking a question because I clicked on the links and thought they were all about downtown Denver, not the Denver Tech Center....clearly the light rail runs to the DTC, that is really cool and something I didn't notice, Denver isn't a city I know much about.

If you wouldn't mind dialing back the defensiveness, I am really enjoying this topic and have no interest in seeing this be a name calling thread or something along those lines.

Now if we could get back to the topic of the thread, that would be great.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
nei, why should I reply to assumptions about places I know nothing about? And isn't frequency a part of convenience, which is what your post was about? And yeah, you did say something about frequency in your parents' area.
The first paragraph was not on a place I know nothing about. ecause I also mentioned other factors besides frequency, particularly the fact that downtown locations tend to have more direct routes to it… You didn't address my main point, which is rather frustrating.

Quote:
Of course not, how do you figure I said anything regarding that. Did I ever say anything about where one should get job? I didn't respond because it had nothing to do with what earlier posts were about.

The only arguement I made is that downtown get better transit service metro-wide, and generally more convenient via transit. Does that imply anything about where one should get a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning