Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,014,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not around the holidays when family is most likely to come into town and rates are at their absolute highest.
It depends on the person, family, and where one is going. There is no one size fits all here. I personally don't invite my extended family over to stay with me during holidays. A number of my wife's family would live in town so no need to spend a night, and my parents would have no problem renting a hotel room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, I'm just an old lady, right?

I was just out walking (imagine that!) with a friend whose son and family are arriving tonight, 5 people, from LA. The son is younger than you. They're staying with my friend. When my friend and her husband (who is of course also my friend) go to visit them in CA they stay at their condo. Different strokes for different folks is more like it.

I can't imagine you have nothing to print. We just printed out boarding passes for our trip to MN. You have to do that in advance or it costs more.

ETA: It seems to me that families with a stay-at-home parent might require more space than families where both parents work, simply b/c the parent and kids are home all day.
Everyone is different, I have no interest in arguing over each individual's personal behaviors. It is possible for people to raise a family in a city and people do it all the time.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:37 PM

31,931 posts, read 34,428,353 times
Quote:
I'll point out you're still printing. And if your office came up with some policy that you couldn't use the printer for personal use (common in schools and health care facilities), you'd have to buy one.
Or just go to FedEx Kinkos.

Finding enough room for printers and other devices is not a problem in a 2BR unit. You can simply slide a printer underneath your bed if there's enough space to do so. The problem with a 2BR is that you effectively have no room for storage (assuming you have children). It's manageable with infants, but it becomes considerably more difficult once those infants turn into walking and talking human beings who want stuff.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Everyone is different, I have no interest in arguing over each individual's personal behaviors. It is possible for people to raise a family in a city and people do it all the time.
But that is not what I was responding to. I was responding to your snarky remark about "different times" when I said DH and I never asked our parents to stay at a motel. As if. It's more of a personal preference. Some people feel it's very insulting to be asked to stay at a motel when they've spent plenty of airfare and taken their vacation time to come and visit you. Some feel it's simply common courtesy to offer a bed to out of town guests. When we lived in the city we did the same as after we moved to the burbs.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Or just go to FedEx Kinkos.

Finding enough room for printers and other devices is not a problem in a 2BR unit. You can simply slide a printer underneath your bed if there's enough space to do so. The problem with a 2BR is that you effectively have no room for storage (assuming you have children). It's manageable with infants, but it becomes considerably more difficult once those infants turn into walking and talking human beings who want stuff.
Going to FedEx or Kinko's just one more trip to make. Do you keep the printer paper under the bed, too? Just asking. I've lived in small places where I've had to make do like that.

I just mentioned printer (and I'm sorry I did) b/c I think a room in the house or at least an area of the house that is not part of the general living area is necessary for computers, and whatever. We converted the eating area of our kitchen into an office type area with a computer and yes, a printer. We have a chest of drawers in there where we keep some office supplies. I don't feel it's appropriate to use your company's equipment for your own stuff, unless it's to print a page or two now and then. I belong to a schools study group that uses a lot of printed matter; I can't imagine doing that at work, or asking my husband to do it at his.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Going to FedEx or Kinko's just one more trip to make. Do you keep the printer paper under the bed, too? Just asking. I've lived in small places where I've had to make do like that.
But most people probably don't have regular printing needs. If you are running a home business, or publishing a neighborhood newsletter, then those trips may become annoying. My guess, however, is that most people don't need to print many things outside of work or school. The last time I used my printer was back in April to print tickets from Stubhub. My printer gets used only two or three times a year.

All of the paper is stored in the printer tray. We don't have much paper since we only use the printer occasionally.

Quote:
I just mentioned printer (and I'm sorry I did) b/c I think a room in the house or at least an area of the house that is not part of the general living area is necessary for computers, and whatever. We converted the eating area of our kitchen into an office type area with a computer and yes, a printer.
There are all types of easy ways to make space for an iMac. They take up so little space that you can sort of shove them off into a corner with a small desk (in a bedroom or living room).

Old 07-16-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
But that is not what I was responding to. I was responding to your snarky remark about "different times" when I said DH and I never asked our parents to stay at a motel. As if. It's more of a personal preference. Some people feel it's very insulting to be asked to stay at a motel when they've spent plenty of airfare and taken their vacation time to come and visit you. Some feel it's simply common courtesy to offer a bed to out of town guests. When we lived in the city we did the same as after we moved to the burbs.
Well I apologies, it wasn't meant to be "snarky."

Anyway, some people do what you do, some people do what I do, and some do other things.

I personally would rather stay at a hotel when visiting someone so that I can still have some privacy.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,966,589 times
Quote:
2 parents and 4 kids? Yeah, I can see how 2000 sq ft would be considered small. 2 adults and 1 kid could easily do an 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom home comfortably.
The trouble with 2 bedroom houses is the fact that they are not very flexible. It could work provided there is some basement or other space to take up some of the slack(i.e. layout is important). However should the parents have one more kid esp. of a different gender, someone in the family want some private space like an den or the family have guest over it just won't work. That is why three bedroom houses are much more common.

The extra bedroom could be used for office space, for the "bonus" kid, for hobbies or other actives or for an den.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,966,589 times
Quote:
Well I apologies, it wasn't meant to be "snarky."

Anyway, some people do what you do, some people do what I do, and some do other things.

I personally would rather stay at a hotel when visiting someone so that I can still have some privacy.
In my family the opposite. Hotels are costly and the point of visiting someone is to visit them not have to commute to and from an hotel to their house. The only time my family might choose an hotel is if there are no close relatives available and we don't wish to impose. Hotels are not that private at all.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Well, you can have a lot of privacy if the person you're visiting has enough space.

We usually just go to my brother's house for holidays since he's got a McMansion. That way we can all be under one roof. The whole point of having family for the holidays, imo, is to be around each other to watch the Macy's Day Parade, the Charlie Brown movies, Home Alone, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning