Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
In my family the opposite. Hotels are costly and the point of visiting someone is to visit them not have to commute to and from an hotel to their house. The only time my family might choose an hotel is if there are no close relatives available and we don't wish to impose. Hotels are not that private at all.
Hotels aren't private? You have a room all to yourself. I could walk around naked in a hotel room after a shower, I can't do that when staying at someone else's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, you can have a lot of privacy if the person you're visiting has enough space.

We usually just go to my brother's house for holidays since he's got a McMansion. That way we can all be under one roof. The whole point of having family for the holidays, imo, is to be around each other to watch the Macy's Day Parade, the Charlie Brown movies, Home Alone, etc.
I can do all those things and still enjoy the comforts of a nearby hotel room when visiting someone for the holidays. It isn't any different than spending the holidays at someone else's house when we live in the same city. At the end of the day I would just go home to my own house.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I still wouldn't attribute that to suburban living . . .

We would take our bikes there during the summer and ride around with other kids who lived two, sometimes three miles away. Backyard basketball, football, baseball, playing in woods, catching fireflies, eating honeysuckle and muscadines, etc.
Yeah, you're talking about when you were old enough to ride your bike around the neighborhood. You knew where the other kids were and someone said "hey, let's go over the playground" so you did. If you didn't go over there with your friends it would just be you there until one of your friends rode by and asked you what you were doing. It was the same thing where I grew up.

I'm talking about young kids - under 6 or 7 - with their parents. In the suburbs those kids, and even most of the older kids are playing in their own backyard (and you pointed this out yourself) or in their friend's backyard. Kids in the city are at the playground because they don't have a backyard.

As a parent with little ones if you want to find those kids in the suburbs you have to call their parents to find out what what they're up to.

Quote:
I don't think our house was even that large (unless you include our basement, which is unfinished). Our house was definitely small for four kids who weren't that far apart in age. We had one full bathroom in our house. And we had very little storage space. I shared a room with my older brother until he left for college, which would have been cool if we both didn't have a bunch of stuff. With instruments, stereo equipment, rollerblades, etc. our room was tight as hell. That's part of the reason he opted for brand new construction in the Atlanta suburbs.
My point in bringing up the space thing is that having 4-6 bedrooms and 2000-3000 s/f and living in the city are not mutually exclusive. I agree that if you have 4 kids it might get a little tight on the smaller end of that range but the average "family" is 2.5 people. The average family with kids has 2 kids.

Some of these are 5 bedrooms and some 6 and they're around 2200-2400 s/f
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@39.9...8nMkcO0fhw!2e0

These guys are all +3000 s/f and are mostly 6 bedrooms.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@39.9...8QTVEj6sKA!2e0

Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,993,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Hotels aren't private? You have a room all to yourself. I could walk around naked in a hotel room after a shower, I can't do that when staying at someone else's house.
Typically when we had guest over they got an bedroom to themselves or were out on the couch.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Typically when we had guest over they got an bedroom to themselves or were out on the couch.
Ugh, heck no would I give people my bed and sleep on the couch in my own home.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:19 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
I never saw much point in spending an extra $50,000 or so for an extra bedroom in case I have relatives coming to visit. With the money I save not owning a house with that extra room that gets used a few times a year, I can afford to pay for their hotel room if they come to visit.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I never saw much point in spending an extra $50,000 or so for an extra bedroom in case I have relatives coming to visit. With the money I save not owning a house with that extra room that gets used a few times a year, I can afford to pay for their hotel room if they come to visit.
I don't think anyone gets an extra bedroom solely for that reason. The primary reason for us is to have extra space. Other considerations are space for guests and greater potential rental income. It's also easier to sell a 2BR unit.

We've also had people live with us long-term (around 6 months), which would have been challenging with a one-bedroom.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
^^Agreed, on all points.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I'm talking about young kids - under 6 or 7 - with their parents. In the suburbs those kids, and even most of the older kids are playing in their own backyard (and you pointed this out yourself) or in their friend's backyard. Kids in the city are at the playground because they don't have a backyard.
I see your point. In very dense urban environments, you certainly see that. You will see a lot of kids playing in spaces like this.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=playg...12,223.25,,0,0

We didn't have anything like that growing up. Our neighborhood didn't have the density (not even the density of many DC neighborhoods).

Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I can do all those things and still enjoy the comforts of a nearby hotel room when visiting someone for the holidays. It isn't any different than spending the holidays at someone else's house when we live in the same city. At the end of the day I would just go home to my own house.
If you feel comfortable doing that, and you've got the cash, then why not? My main concern is having people in town who can't necessarily spend hundreds of dollars per night on a hotel room in an expensive metro area during the holidays. I'd prefer to have a home where I can house my brother, niece, nephew, mom, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning