Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:07 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

There's a multitude of public transit options from Seattle area to Victoria/Vancouver area. I don't know if I'd really call them a transit system in the way you're thinking of. None of them are part of King County Metro (Seattle) but they pretty much all integrate with it. Separate systems designed to work together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
There's a multitude of public transit options from Seattle area to Victoria/Vancouver area. I don't know if I'd really call them a transit system in the way you're thinking of. None of them are part of King County Metro (Seattle) but they pretty much all integrate with it. Separate systems designed to work together.
Local buses or private long-distance buses (Bolt, Megabus, Greyhound, ect.)?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:59 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Local buses or private long-distance buses (Bolt, Megabus, Greyhound, ect.)?
Local bus for a 100+ mile trip

Train, bus, ferry.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Switzerland only joined the Schengen Agreement in 2009, when did you go? In any case, looks like some of these local rail systems predated the abolition of border controls (the tracks have been there a local time of course, but the service may have been less frequent).

The UK is not part of the Schengen Agreeement, there's still border controls between the UK and the rest of western Europe. Since there's already a sea in the way, it's less of a hassle.
Less of a hassle, but they had to built customs offices in train stations served by Eurostar trains, which is unusual in Europe. You have to arrive 15 minutes before boarding when going to London, whereas you can hop on a train to, say, Rotterdam at the last minute. But the UK border control isn't a big deal for EU citizens. Not sure how it compares with the US/Canada border. Each time I crossed the France/UK border, customs officers only checked if everyone had a French (EU) ID card. Never checked the car trunk or anything else at ferry terminals. Quite different from Swiss border controls before Switzerland joined the Schengen agreement. Entering Switzerland often was a rather unpleasant experience back then and you had better not joke with customs officers.

Quote:
*Interestingly, support for the initial light rail/tram split on left/right lines. The right favored rapid transit, which as it was more expensive would result in fewer lines. The left the partially street running tramway, which would be anti-car as it would remove car lanes and pedestrianize part of the downtown.
It's a rather common left/right split over here. Same in Toulouse concerning the current mayoral campaign. The UMP candidate (right) wants to build a third subway line whereas the PS (left) one (left) prefers multiplying tramway and BRT lines.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Less of a hassle, but they had to built customs offices in train stations served by Eurostar trains, which is unusual in Europe. You have to arrive 15 minutes before boarding when going to London, whereas you can hop on a train to, say, Rotterdam at the last minute. But the UK border control isn't a big deal for EU citizens. Not sure how it compares with the US/Canada border. Each time I crossed the France/UK border, customs officers only checked if everyone had a French (EU) ID card. Never checked the car trunk or anything else at ferry terminals. Quite different from Swiss border controls before Switzerland joined the Schengen agreement. Entering Switzerland often was a rather unpleasant experience back then and you had better not joke with customs officers.

I took the Port Angeles, WA - Victoria, BC ferry and don't remember any trouble . . . which has also been my experience driving to Montreal a few times. Crossing into Canada has been a much nicer experience than trying get back into my own country.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I had a conversation with someone who said he was planning on taking a bus that leaves from the center of town and goes to Montreal.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
India and Bangladesh have a cross border train called the Maitree express, usually hauled by a BWN WDM 2 locomotive :

Indonesia made rake of Kolkata Dhaka Maitree express crosses Kalyani outer - YouTube

Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
I had a conversation with someone who said he was planning on taking a bus that leaves from the center of town and goes to Montreal.
If we are talking about Plattsburgh these would be Greyhound-type intercity bus lines. Plattsburgh is a stop on the NYC-Montreal route. There is no regular commuter service between Plattsburgh and Montreal.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:21 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
There's a bus that connects Detroit and Windsor. It's not really extensive since all it is is a connector shuttle.

http://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/...umm%20schd.pdf

It's a pretty regular route though and links up with the transit systems of both Detroit and Windsor. And runs all day from about 5 am to past midnight.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If we are talking about Plattsburgh these would be Greyhound-type intercity bus lines. Plattsburgh is a stop on the NYC-Montreal route. There is no regular commuter service between Plattsburgh and Montreal.
Yes, I'm referring to Greyhound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning