U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,954,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My guess is that while airport lines are useful, they don't get a whole of everyday usage so they may not have the ridership to support it. So, it only makes sense if there's stuff right by the airport.
It's true. Philly's airport line only gets about 2,200 daily boardings at the airport's 4 stations. Nearly half of those are airport employees.

The saving grace of the line is that it also stops at University City. Even though 3 different lines stop at U. City just the airport line share of the riders is busier at that station than all airport stations combined. They can boost ridership even more by moving the current (temporary) Eastwick Station closer to the PNC operations center. If the line wants to attract more riders it also needs to bring its headways down to 15 or even 20 minutes. Two trains an hour doesn't cut it.

Anyway, the problem with airport lines is that airports are usually out towards the edge of a metro area so the line is only really convenient for people who live downtown or near the intermediate stops. Everyone else has to go into the city and change trains (so they don't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have traveled to the following cities without a car

NYC
Boston
Chicago
SF
Miami (though really needed cabs at times but once in say S Beach wlaking is pretty easy)
Orlando (well Disney) but can be done with transit options with no real issues
DC
Atlanta (Yes staying DT, Midtown, or Buckhead is pretty easy on MARTA)

LA not yet - maybe never though transit is getting better (too spread for me)

I've done:

Boston
NYC
Baltimore
DC
Pittsburgh*
Chicago
SF
LA*
Seattle
+
Toronto
Vancouver
+
I've driven to Montreal and Cincinnati but didn't use my car while I was there.

*I used zipcar in LA to go up to Griffith Observatory and in Pittsburgh to get groceries.

I've been to LA a few times and never had a problem with transit. As long as you stay near a light rail/subway stop it's pretty reasonable.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It's true. Philly's airport line only gets about 2,200 daily boardings at the airport's 4 stations. Nearly half of those are airport employees.

The saving grace of the line is that it also stops at University City. Even though 3 different lines stop at U. City just the airport line share of the riders is busier at that station than all airport stations combined. They can boost ridership even more by moving the current (temporary) Eastwick Station closer to the PNC operations center. If the line wants to attract more riders it also needs to bring its headways down to 15 or even 20 minutes. Two trains an hour doesn't cut it.

Anyway, the problem with airport lines is that airports are usually out towards the edge of a metro area so the line is only really convenient for people who live downtown or near the intermediate stops. Everyone else has to go into the city and change trains (so they don't).
That is true, the only cities that I have flown out of that I have noticed any difference was Portland and Chicago, those two airport lines tend to pick up a lot of travelers and locals that use the lines for commuting.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM

12,296 posts, read 15,190,901 times
Quote:

I like Philly's airport line, but it costs as much as a ride to Newark DE about 40 miles away, though it is only ten. And no TVM, you need to pay cash on the train. But since most of its riders can't vote in local elections, the feeling is why improve it?

Incidentally I missed the actual title of the thread: transpiration.http://www.thefreedictionary.com/transpiration
So the real subject of the thread is a city's plant life.

Last edited by pvande55; 02-19-2014 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I like Philly's airport line, but it costs as much as a ride to Newark DE about 40 miles away, though it is only ten. And no TVM, you need to pay cash on the train. But since most of its riders can't vote in local elections, the feeling is why improve it?
SEPTA is like having an airline that's run by the guys in charge of the maintenance department. All they care about is how well the fleet is running and they're kind of annoyed by people using the system. It's so ridiculously frustrating to watch. If you buy a ticket on the train you pay a penalty rate, recognizing that there are no TVMs at the airport they tell you to take your ticket into a train station to get a refund for a round-trip (they deduct the penalty from the cost of the return ticket).

Of course, if you live in Philly you probably have a monthly pass or an extra train ticket laying around somewhere so you don't have to deal with it.

Not a very good way to treat your guests or the occasional rider.

Quote:
Incidentally I missed the actual title of the thread: transpiration.transpiration - definition of transpiration by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
So the real subject of the thread is a city's plant life.
Yes, a typo that's humorous enough to let stand.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
Quote:
SEPTA is like having an airline that's run by the guys in charge of the maintenance department. All they care about is how well the fleet is running and they're kind of annoyed by people using the system. It's so ridiculously frustrating to watch..
Yep it is, I had to bust on this recently (and got a bit busted on in return): Carfree visit impressions

Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Yep it is, I had to bust on this recently (and got a bit busted on in return): Carfree visit impressions
Yeah, I posted in that thread. You're the guy who was in a few different places where you could've bought several forms of fare media but didn't bother . . . then complained about it.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
Quote:
Yeah, I posted in that thread. You're the guy who was in a few different places where you could've bought several forms of fare media but didn't bother . . . then complained about it.
Yep, I was clearly much more of an idiot when I visited Philly, compared to when I went to a dozen or so other cities in North America at figuring out how to ride transit.

I did have less luck on one other city - Montreal, where I recall having to figure out how to buy a paper ticket from one side of a booth then hand it to the same guy in another window of the same booth - when the guy would only talk French and the signs were all in French. But even that guy would make change as I recall.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Yep, I was clearly much more of an idiot when I visited Philly, compared to when I went to a dozen or so other cities in North America at figuring out how to ride transit.
Most of your complaints have nothing to do with transit but rather an annoyance at not being able to find the proper map at the last minute. I agree that it's silly that SEPTA doesn't have neighborhood maps in most stations but you have a smart phone, what's the problem? I also agree that it's silly that they don't have TVMs in most stations but, as was discussed, this is a temporary problem while they transition to a new fare system.

I've traveled quite a bit nationally and internationally with children. You're in a strange city with kids. Do some research before you get there. Look up "visitors center" or at the very least figure out where you're going before you leave your hotel . . . or, you know, ask someone.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Quote:
Most of your complaints have nothing to do with transit but rather an annoyance at not being able to find the proper map at the last minute. I agree that it's silly that SEPTA doesn't have neighborhood maps in most stations but you have a smart phone, what's the problem? I also agree that it's silly that they don't have TVMs in most stations but, as was discussed, this is a temporary problem while they transition to a new fare system.

I've traveled quite a bit nationally and internationally with children. You're in a strange city with kids. Do some research before you get there. Look up "visitors center" or at the very least figure out where you're going before you leave your hotel . . . or, you know, ask someone.
Philadelphia isn't doing that weird token system anymore? That was such a strange system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or