U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,390,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I did Airbnb once when I traveled to NYC, it was a great way to really experience NYC without being in a hotel room. It is always a great site to check when traveling to places because there can be some really unique options on that site.

You sound like me, I hate traveling to destinations I have to use a car in, unless I am going to visit family or I drove there. But even if I drive to where I am going, I like to park my car and leave it. Much of my Philly trip will consist of parking the car for the weekend at the hotel and spending much of our time on foot.

There is so much to experience in a city when you are on foot that you would never experience in a car.
Fully agree. I always say it's also about the journey and not just about the destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,390,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
On some of these city trips I often walk around quite a bit in large parks - I rode the light rail out to Forest Park in Portland, rode the elevator to the top, and walked back to the downtown hotel; walked over Mount Royal in Montreal; all around Central Park in NYC; and down through Rock Creek Park and Georgetown to the Mall in DC and back by Metro and bus.

Next up sometime, maybe the Wissahickon in Philadelphia. (And yes, I already ordered a map! )
My personal favorite is Mount Royal in Montreal. We always make a half day out of breakfast, hike up, hangout at the chalet (amazing view of downtown), a hike down and then a couple beers. Such a great city!

Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM

4,255 posts, read 9,793,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think you mean Washington Park, Forest Park is the massive wooded area in Northwest Portland, also an amazing area to walk. I have done that walk down from Washington Park a few times before, it is even more fun to bike down from Washington Park as well.
Yep, Washington Park.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:22 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,901,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have traveled to the following cities without a car

NYC
Boston
Chicago
SF
Miami (though really needed cabs at times but once in say S Beach walking is pretty easy)
Orlando (well Disney) but can be done with transit options with no real issues
DC
Atlanta (Yes staying DT, Midtown, or Buckhead is pretty easy on MARTA)

LA not yet - maybe never though transit is getting better (too spread for me)

All places have driveable placs that may require a car (example exploring Napa from SF is worth the rental IMHO)

Imagine my hometown is pretty easy on transit as well

Europe while I have rented cars most cities have no reason in fact a deterant to have a car as a visitor
Kidphilly just curious when was the last time you were in Miami because Metrorail now runs directly to the Airport then to downtown. The missing link is rail to South Beach but there are plans underway for that called Baylink now.

As for Orlando well with all of the shuttle buses from the Airport to Disney it is easy.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:55 AM

3,853 posts, read 7,702,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As for Orlando well with all of the shuttle buses from the Airport to Disney it is easy.
There's actually a bus (the #111) that used to run from the airport to Downtown Disney. When it first started, it ran every 60 minutes, then they doubled the service to every 30 minutes. But then they reduced it to hourly again, and on top of that, they cut it back to SeaWorld. I'm assuming it was due to budget cuts, but it's still a shame because it was a great route (and it didn't seem particularly low-ridership either).

Though for what it's worth, it was mostly locals using that bus. When my family went, they said that we were maybe the second group of people they heard of that used the regular LYNX buses.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,995 posts, read 42,430,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I don't like exploring cities on transit. Or at least not on a subway. I'd only choose to ride a subway over a bus because it's faster. But in terms of experiencing the city, I'd choose a bus ride. You see so much more on a bus. If I'm visiting, I personally like riding the double decker tour buses. If something interests me, I can just jump off, explore, and then jump back on the next bus.

If I'm living in a city, I think the best way to "explore" is by car. But I don't really explore the cities I live in. I just learn the cities as the course of normal life dictates. I end up going to all types of places to attend recitals, graduations, retirement parties, etc. And by having a car, you have easier access to all of the areas that aren't easily reachable by transit, and you get to see everything above ground on the way.
Somehow I associate part of the experience of visiting a city with riding the subway, at least for cities that have one. Buses are just buses, you get them everywhere. They're good for people watching, and seeing a good cross-section of the city's population going about their day to day lives. You can see stuff from a subway when its above ground / elevated, though the stores and people are on the street.

Cars are [usually] convenient for getting from point A to point B with flexibility, but as a way to explore it's harder to pay attention to was going on at ground-level if you're the driver.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:17 PM

22,351 posts, read 32,407,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Kidphilly just curious when was the last time you were in Miami because Metrorail now runs directly to the Airport then to downtown. The missing link is rail to South Beach but there are plans underway for that called Baylink now.

its been like 2 or 3 years now - did not know and stayed in S Beach o it may not have helped. I need to get back ther again (should have been there this winter, has been brutal this year and Miami would feel quite nice)

Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 PM

12,366 posts, read 15,348,960 times
With SunRail to start up this year, I wonder how many Railfans will flock to Orlando to try this rather unexciting ride instead of Disney's Great Thunder Mountain.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM

407 posts, read 411,017 times
Funny, I was thinking of this thread today: I booked a small getaway to Boston for this upcoming weekend and I was planning how I wish to explore the area. Of course I want to do a fair bit of walking around the downtown/historic parts of the city, but I'm just as excited to drive through the Big Dig tunnels (spare me the "oh they suck", I'm a road geek and never been to Boston lol).

I'm actually staying in Norwood, Mass because it's much cheaper than a comparable quality hotel downtown, I just haven't decided if on Saturday I want to park at Braintree and take the T into town or just pay to park downtown for the day. I really don't care about the cost difference, guess it will depend on the weather and how I feel lol.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 PM

22,351 posts, read 32,407,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Funny, I was thinking of this thread today: I booked a small getaway to Boston for this upcoming weekend and I was planning how I wish to explore the area. Of course I want to do a fair bit of walking around the downtown/historic parts of the city, but I'm just as excited to drive through the Big Dig tunnels (spare me the "oh they suck", I'm a road geek and never been to Boston lol).

I'm actually staying in Norwood, Mass because it's much cheaper than a comparable quality hotel downtown, I just haven't decided if on Saturday I want to park at Braintree and take the T into town or just pay to park downtown for the day. I really don't care about the cost difference, guess it will depend on the weather and how I feel lol.

One of the tunnels is closed right now in Boston, but think is the old one

Boston is an easy town to wlk nd use transit - if you really want to see the big dig take a cab from the airport or mybe even the silver bus line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or