U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,766,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
One of the tunnels is closed right now in Boston, but think is the old one

Boston is an easy town to wlk nd use transit - if you really want to see the big dig take a cab from the airport or mybe even the silver bus line
Taking a cab is a fun way to enjoy a city from a point A to a point B because you aren't the one driving so you get to enjoy the view for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,995 posts, read 42,415,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Funny, I was thinking of this thread today: I booked a small getaway to Boston for this upcoming weekend and I was planning how I wish to explore the area. Of course I want to do a fair bit of walking around the downtown/historic parts of the city, but I'm just as excited to drive through the Big Dig tunnels (spare me the "oh they suck", I'm a road geek and never been to Boston lol).

I'm actually staying in Norwood, Mass because it's much cheaper than a comparable quality hotel downtown, I just haven't decided if on Saturday I want to park at Braintree and take the T into town or just pay to park downtown for the day. I really don't care about the cost difference, guess it will depend on the weather and how I feel lol.
You'll like the Big Dig tunnels, they're well done [at least now in the sense they function well to drive through and enter/enter, the construction quality may be subpar. I wouldn't recommend driving through the Big Dig as a way to experience the city, obviously, you can't see anything. Though driving the Hakim Bridge might be fun. And IMO, the isolation of a car is a negative for experiencing the city, as you don't see the locals. As for neighborhoods outside the usual historic traps, walking around Back Bay or Cambridge in the Central Square or Harvard Square environs could be.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 PM

407 posts, read 410,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
One of the tunnels is closed right now in Boston, but think is the old one

Boston is an easy town to wlk nd use transit - if you really want to see the big dig take a cab from the airport or mybe even the silver bus line
Ted Williams Tunnel?

I'll likely do plenty of walking, but I enjoy urban driving just as much, I'd rather take less transit and walk/drive more personally. Also I will be avoiding the airport, since I'm driving from NY, not flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You'll like the Big Dig tunnels, they're well done [at least now in the sense they function well to drive through and enter/enter, the construction quality may be subpar. I wouldn't recommend driving through the Big Dig as a way to experience the city, obviously, you can't see anything. Though driving the Hakim Bridge might be fun. And IMO, the isolation of a car is a negative for experiencing the city, as you don't see the locals. As for neighborhoods outside the usual historic traps, walking around Back Bay or Cambridge in the Central Square or Harvard Square environs could be.
I've never been there, so I'm excited to see how they look and for the driving itself.

I know Boston is much different than NYC, with a totally different road layout and congestion type, I'm not concerned about that though. New car has in-dash navigation with traffic alerts, I should be fine lol.

Driving through the Big Dig/driving around the city might not be recommended and I can understand the rationale, but for someone who thoroughly enjoys driving (urban included), its part of the experience for me. Similar to how I do things when I go to D.C., I'm likely to include plenty of walking around various areas of the city (and thank you for those tips, because I've been trying to figure out places to walk around and take pictures, etc) but just as much fun as walking around a vibrant urban area can be, I find the rush of the urban drive to be as well. And naturally after a long day of exploring, it'll be nice to recede back to my inexpensive suburban hotel with its gigantic free parking lot lol.

Now next year when I plan my epic West Coast/Southwest US road trip....there will probably be more like 80% driving/20% walking (mainly downtown SF and Hollywood lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or