U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:23 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,714,577 times

Advertisements

Fun article in the Guardian about how cities are defined by the ways people get around:

Cities in motion: transport is as key to urban character as buildings or accents | Cities | theguardian.com

Quote:
If you wish to understand London or any place else, look no further than how people move through it. This goes not just for subways, but overground trains, buses, cycleways, rickshaws, and every mobility solution in between. You can learn a great deal from robust transport systems, and even more from underdeveloped ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,560,873 times
Whenever I visit a city for the first time, I try to experience as much as I can on foot. Once I feel like I have a handle of the city from foot, then I start to incorporate transit options or biking if I can. Where I am from, Portland, Or is a city that is best experienced on a bike.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,958,688 times
The title is funny because transpiration is a different kind of mobility - how a plant moves water from the soil to its leaves.

Quote:
But while New York's cabs exude a trademark rough-edged urbanity, American cities don't usually represent themselves with elements of transit – apart, that is, from the classic yellow school bus.
I come into contact with this sentiment often when I visit the west coast, especially SoCal. People seem mostly unaware that you can live without a car (in relative comfort) in the cities of the northeast + Chicago and that you can travel between those cities on relatively high speed rail. They'll also talk about how one has to go to europe or asia to encounter that lifestyle.

The NY subway is not just iconic but commuting (by transit) comes up regulary in conversation. I'd say the El in Chicago, T in Boston, and the DC Metro are just as important locally. You've never met a Philadelphian if they didn't complain about SEPTA.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,048,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I come into contact with this sentiment often when I visit the west coast, especially SoCal. People seem mostly unaware that you can live without a car (in relative comfort) in the cities of the northeast + Chicago and that you can travel between those cities on relatively high speed rail. They'll also talk about how one has to go to europe or asia to encounter that lifestyle.
Don't think San Francisco is different from some of those cities listed.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The title is funny because transpiration is a different kind of mobility - how a plant moves water from the soil to its leaves.
Thanks for catching my typo.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,048,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Thanks for catching my typo.
I was going to fix it for you, but the seeing "transpiration" made me laugh so I didn't. Still could if you want me to.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,197,156 times
First time I visited Portland when my daughter lived there, I was surprised when she told me not to rent a car at the airport but just to grab the train right at baggage claim to within a block of her a apartment.
We spent 4 days walking, biking & street car exploring the city. Did rent a car for a day to go to Cannon Beach. Same with my first trip to Vancouver, really only need a car to "leave" the city.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
First time I visited Portland when my daughter lived there, I was surprised when she told me not to rent a car at the airport but just to grab the train right at baggage claim to within a block of her a apartment.
We spent 4 days walking, biking & street car exploring the city. Did rent a car for a day to go to Cannon Beach. Same with my first trip to Vancouver, really only need a car to "leave" the city.
That is basically it, I use to work in the hotel industry in downtown Portland and would see so many people rent a car at the airport, drive it to the hotel, park it for the week because there were so many things to do in walking distance, and then drive the car back to the airport to return it when they left. Such a waste of money. Plus if you didn't feel like taking a train, you can score a cab for under $40 including a nice tip.

My other favorite is when I would tell someone a place is 6-7 blocks away and they looked at me like it was too far to walk until I pointed out visually the length of Portland blocks.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 AM

My sister and I have been doing transit only trips. So far Santa Fe, Portland, Seattle and DC. People looked at us like we were crazy, but the way we see it is, the $40 a day we save on car rental is out towards better food and more cocktails! And no one has to be the DD in a strange city.

You can also easily change destinations if you don't need to worry about your parking meter expiring.

In Santa Fe we took the commuter rail from Albuquerque and got to explore downtown too.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My sister and I have been doing transit only trips. So far Santa Fe, Portland, Seattle and DC. People looked at us like we were crazy, but the way we see it is, the $40 a day we save on car rental is out towards better food and more cocktails! And no one has to be the DD in a strange city.

You can also easily change destinations if you don't need to worry about your parking meter expiring.

In Santa Fe we took the commuter rail from Albuquerque and got to explore downtown too.
That is the best way to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or