U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,007 times

Advertisements

There are 17 states whose capital is their largest city: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho,Indiana, Iowa, Mass. Miss. Ohio, Oklahoma, RI, S Carolina, Utah, W Virginia & Wyoming.

Either the largest city or a central location seems to work for most states except Alaska.
How the hell did the capital end up in a location the the rest of the state can not drive to???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
There are 17 states whose capital is their largest city: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho,Indiana, Iowa, Mass. Miss. Ohio, Oklahoma, RI, S Carolina, Utah, W Virginia & Wyoming.

Either the largest city or a central location seems to work for most states except Alaska.
How the hell did the capital end up in a location the the rest of the state can not drive to???
Juneau was the largest city in Alaska when it was picked to be the capital.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM

6,371 posts, read 5,994,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Why are some state's capital cities not their largest cities?

It seems to me that ideally your economic driver would also serve well as your governmental core. Are there any particular reasons why some states decided to keep their governmental cores separate from their economic cores? Was it to stave off political influence over business?
Curious question. The only two cities that I know of where this is the case are Indianapolis and Columbus, in both cases they are the largest cities in their respective states. And in both cases both cities annexed everything within their county limits. They might actually be larger than their counties now, someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

I would not want my state capital to be my economic driver, because this tells me that the other cities in my state are either not doing their job, or aren't doing that great of a job at what little they are doing. I can't speak for Indy, but the fact that Columbus is the largest city in Ohio speaks volumes about that states decline. Ironically, the population of the state continues to go up each census, but I would not want everyone living in Columbus.

Also, how do you keep your governmental core separate from the economic core? As though they are mutually exclusive. Washington DC is the nation's capital, but as a city it can hold it's own. It is still the largest city in it's region, having finally surpassed Baltimore.

As other posters have noted there are actually 17 states where this is the case, but those cities are not really well known, and none of the state capitals strike me as interesting. Your post precludes that the money SHOULD be in government, as though there should be a concerted concentration of power and influence in the state capitals outside of what already exists. What about those that do not want to work in government; talk to people in the state I am in now and ask them what their true feelings on this are. Granted that is influence of the federal government I am speaking of, but still ...

Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Why are some state's capital cities not their largest cities?

It seems to me that ideally your economic driver would also serve well as your governmental core. Are there any particular reasons why some states decided to keep their governmental cores separate from their economic cores? Was it to stave off political influence over business?
It is actually a good thing that this is not the case. America would be like Russia, or China or something else similar. Moscow and Beijing have moved on but they are not New York or LA, for example.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:44 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,069,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Curious question. The only two cities that I know of where this is the case are Indianapolis and Columbus, in both cases they are the largest cities in their respective states. And in both cases both cities annexed everything within their county limits. They might actually be larger than their counties now, someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

I would not want my state capital to be my economic driver, because this tells me that the other cities in my state are either not doing their job, or aren't doing that great of a job at what little they are doing. I can't speak for Indy, but the fact that Columbus is the largest city in Ohio speaks volumes about that states decline. Ironically, the population of the state continues to go up each census, but I would not want everyone living in Columbus.

Also, how do you keep your governmental core separate from the economic core? As though they are mutually exclusive. Washington DC is the nation's capital, but as a city it can hold it's own. It is still the largest city in it's region, having finally surpassed Baltimore.

As other posters have noted there are actually 17 states where this is the case, but those cities are not really well known, and none of the state capitals strike me as interesting. Your post precludes that the money SHOULD be in government, as though there should be a concerted concentration of power and influence in the state capitals outside of what already exists. What about those that do not want to work in government; talk to people in the state I am in now and ask them what their true feelings on this are. Granted that is influence of the federal government I am speaking of, but still ...
How are they not well known?

Old 02-23-2014, 06:29 PM

3,069 posts, read 3,183,599 times
Annapolis was the Capitol of Maryland before Baltimore really got off the ground. Why Move it?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
How are they not well known?
Well Alaska's state capital for one. And more people have heard of Charleston, SC than they have Charleston, WV. A lot of State capitals are not well known, except to fans of geography, which I used to be at one time, before I discovered computers.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 PM

12,289 posts, read 15,184,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Well Alaska's state capital for one. And more people have heard of Charleston, SC than they have Charleston, WV. A lot of State capitals are not well known, except to fans of geography, which I used to be at one time, before I discovered computers.
Was this your favorite song?

Wakko's 50 State Capitols - YouTube

Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Animaniacs in the Urban Planning forum! What revolutionary ideas could be next?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Juneau was the largest city in Alaska when it was picked to be the capital.
Juneau became Territorial Capital in 1906 (moved from Sitka). Until 1920 Fairbanks was bigger than Juneau.
In 1906 transportation was much easier to Juneau than Fairbanks. Especially back to the lower 48.

By statehood in 1959, when Juneau became State Capital, Anchorage was much bigger than Juneau.
Also by 1959 Anchorage was much better connected to the the state highway system.
And 50 years later you still can not drive to Juneau from the rest of Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or