U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2014, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,171 posts, read 29,698,541 times
Reputation: 26671

Advertisements

Some stats on transit usage and car ownership in major cities.

Cities where no one wants to drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2014, 12:15 AM
 
410 posts, read 389,945 times
Reputation: 500
Median household incomes have dropped since the great recession. I think this is one of the biggest reasons why car ownership is down (slightly) over the past 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,337,702 times
Reputation: 3562
While agree that those are the best cities to not own a car, and do not own a car, it doesn't use statistics correctly to identify the people that don't want to own a car. some of the population may not be able to afford it, and some may want a car but it may be too big of a hassle with parking issues.

That being said, that's exactly why we're moving to philadelphia next year, because it's one of the few places in the US that has walkable neighborhoods enmass and good mass transit, making it comfortable to completely forego car ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,550,732 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
While agree that those are the best cities to not own a car, and do not own a car, it doesn't use statistics correctly to identify the people that don't want to own a car. some of the population may not be able to afford it, and some may want a car but it may be too big of a hassle with parking issues.

That being said, that's exactly why we're moving to philadelphia next year, because it's one of the few places in the US that has walkable neighborhoods enmass and good mass transit, making it comfortable to completely forego car ownership.
Good choice, Philly is a great city for that. It is also a pretty easy city to bike in. And to top it off the rents there aren't that bad for a pretty good size apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,337,702 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good choice, Philly is a great city for that. It is also a pretty easy city to bike in. And to top it off the rents there aren't that bad for a pretty good size apartment.
Yeah, we love it because it's so walkable and affordable. My plan is to be able to walk to work, or bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,550,732 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, we love it because it's so walkable and affordable. My plan is to be able to walk to work, or bike.
My wife and I were there this past weekend and we kept telling ourselves we made a mistake moving to the NYC metro, Philly is a much better choice to live in, and it is easy to take trips up to NYC to visit whenever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,337,702 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
My wife and I were there this past weekend and we kept telling ourselves we made a mistake moving to the NYC metro, Philly is a much better choice to live in, and it is easy to take trips up to NYC to visit whenever you want.
Exactly! Less expensive, less hectic, more manageable to traverse, better location, etc. The fact that we'll be able to buy a row house for a reasonable price just south of center city is a wonderful thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,550,732 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Exactly! Less expensive, less hectic, more manageable to traverse, better location, etc. The fact that we'll be able to buy a row house for a reasonable price just south of center city is a wonderful thing.
That is so awesome, I love that part of the city. I think my only gripe with the city is from what I heard about SEPTA and their corruption and inability to expand a rail system that should have been expanded a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,171 posts, read 29,698,541 times
Reputation: 26671
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Median household incomes have dropped since the great recession. I think this is one of the biggest reasons why car ownership is down (slightly) over the past 5 years.
I disagree. I do think some people might have dropped their car due to the great recession, but many other people are dropping their car by choice (and realizing economic benefits).

It might be for environmental reasons, or because they just want to live in a walkable place. It is a bonafide trend. I know quite a few people who do not drive by choice and do not even have a license......

I have been trying to ditch my car for the past 5 years (and I have increasingly made more money), but it hasn't quite worked out the way I wanted to. But I will absolutely ditch my car in the next five years. When I finish paying off my current one, I will give it to my parents, and hopefully my work situation will be convenient enough to take transit without too much of a time suck.

I have no attachment to driving, and would prefer not to be a full time car owner. More people are thinking the same way, or rearranging their lives so they can be a one car household. Or just driving less, because things are convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,337,702 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is so awesome, I love that part of the city. I think my only gripe with the city is from what I heard about SEPTA and their corruption and inability to expand a rail system that should have been expanded a long time ago.
Agreed, the subway and regional rail could be a lot better. However, funding was widely expanded this year via the Pennsylvania Transportation Bill, which is increasing funding for SEPTA by a HUGE margin:

http://www.pahouse.com/HACD/series/2...465_111713.pdf

In fact, SEPTA is already looking at catching up on long-needed maintenance and even future expansions now. Many others on here would know the details of it better than me. Very promising!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top