U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,554,265 times

Advertisements

Cyclists add more to the economies of the cities where we ride by biking to businesses without taking up a parking space (thus freeing that parking space for a driver) and spending money, which we have a bit more of because we didn't need to buy gas (or a car) to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,499,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Cyclists add more to the economies of the cities where we ride by biking to businesses without taking up a parking space (thus freeing that parking space for a driver) and spending money, which we have a bit more of because we didn't need to buy gas (or a car) to get there.
North Williams in Portland is proof of this, that street is a heavily biked route in Portland and because of it a number of businesses have popped up along the route that would attract people on bikes to stop with more than plenty bike racks along the street.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM

27,164 posts, read 29,645,043 times
Default New Biking Hotbed: Texas

Looks like Texas is on the Bandwagon for transportation cycling -- they want to steal tech company offices from CA.

Cycling's Catching On In Texas, For A Very Texas Reason : NPR

Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 AM

More on "invisible cyclists"

Riding on the shoulder: The marginalized cyclists of the Twin Cities | Twin Cities Daily Planet

Old 04-16-2014, 04:09 PM

Interesting study: apparently weather and biking don't mix. I.e. weather/temperature have little impact on the percentage of people biking to work. Alaska wins as the state for active commutes.

Local Climate Doesn’t Exert Much Influence on Biking and Walking | Streetsblog USA

Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Interesting study: apparently weather and biking don't mix. I.e. weather/temperature have little impact on the percentage of people biking to work. Alaska wins as the state for active commutes.

Local Climate Doesn’t Exert Much Influence on Biking and Walking | Streetsblog USA
There is plenty of good winter gear out there to make biking during just about any time of weather easy to do.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is plenty of good winter gear out there to make biking during just about any time of weather easy to do.
OMG! I don't think you've ever been to a place where it snows a lot. That is NOT the time to be out on a bike. The cars are having problems with sliding, let alone the bikes. Maybe in Portland.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OMG! I don't think you've ever been to a place where it snows a lot. That is NOT the time to be out on a bike. The cars are having problems with sliding, let alone the bikes. Maybe in Portland.
I biked semi-regularly in upstate NY, in an area known for snow. There were times when it wasn't good to be out on a bicycle, but far more often it was fine. It snows a lot, but it doesn't snow all the time. Roads get cleared (and salted) rather quickly. The salt, however, will destroy your bike chain. I've bicycled in light snow, it doesn't present much of an issue. Cold rain is much worse. Sleet is unbikeable, it stings if you're moving at any speed. I remember bicycling while it was lightly snowing and then it changes to sleet. I pulled over and waited, thankfully it lasted only ten minutes. It was a bit scary.

I'd be much more worried about cars sliding into me than a sliding bicycle.

I think urbanlife has lived in Chicago.

Last edited by nei; 04-16-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,192,648 times
Colorado has pretty mild winters and I have always rode year round. But in past years I always waited for that one nice sunny day each week and rode mid day. This winter I decided I have a closet full of cold weather gear so why not use it. I found I actually enjoy winter riding and love riding in fresh snow.
Takes more focus to ride on ice and in snow (and slower speeds) but I really enjoy being the only one out on a bright snowy morning. Like to get out early before the cars and snow plows mess up all that fresh powder! I agree I would rather ride in snow than rain or sleet and I hate slush! Couple months ago I did a full moon ride in 6" of fresh snow on the local golf course, cold, crisp and beautiful!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I biked semi-regularly in upstate NY, in an area known for snow. There were times when it wasn't good to be out on a bicycle, but far more often it was fine. It snows a lot, but it doesn't snow all the time. Roads get cleared (and salted) rather quickly. The salt, however, will destroy your bike chain. I've bicycled in light snow, it doesn't present much of an issue. Cold rain is much worse. Sleet is unbikeable, it stings if you're moving at any speed. I remember bicycling while it was lightly snowing and then it changes to sleet. I pulled over and waited, thankfully it lasted only ten minutes. It was a bit scary.

I'd be much more worried about cars sliding into me than a sliding bicycle.

I think urbanlife has lived in Chicago.
I actually have never lived in Chicago before. I personally am not one who would bike in the snow, but I do know there is gear for a bike including a type of studded tires that makes it easier.

I remember a nasty snow storm we got in Portland one year where we got about 2 feet of snow, yet there were still the diehards that were biking on the plowed roads like it was no big deal. Though the hill I lived on I would have had to carry my bike up had I biked in that snow because my street was an unplowed road of 2 feet of snow.

Good point about the salt when it snows, thankfully Portland doesn't really use salt on their roads, just sand and a de-icer which is much better than salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning