U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I heard of all the terms except "salmoning" and "shoaling". Fish terms?
Yes, it's strange, but every hobby, occupation, etc has its own lingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,519,126 times
Quote:
I heard of all the terms except "salmoning" and "shoaling". Fish terms?
Funny thing is I have never heard of those two terms, but I know I have experienced them both many times. Salmoning is a big pet peeve of mine, I hate when people bike the wrong way on a one-way street, it isn't hard to bike the correct way down a street it just requires a person to pay attention to the signs and the direction of the cars.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 AM

27,168 posts, read 29,669,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Funny thing is I have never heard of those two terms, but I know I have experienced them both many times. Salmoning is a big pet peeve of mine, I hate when people bike the wrong way on a one-way street, it isn't hard to bike the correct way down a street it just requires a person to pay attention to the signs and the direction of the cars.
This happens on my street often. I live on a one way section of the street. We have a bike lane. The corresponding one way street in the other direction is adjacent, one short block away. But the other street is way steeper, and the street goes "up." So I rarely see anyone biking on that street. The last two blocks to my house are pretty killer. I actually don't go up it at all, I take the long way, and go several blocks over to the flatter street on purpose. That hill is too much for me! I am no super fit speed racer type. But I don't even see the racers on the other street! I can't think of a time the entire time I have lived in my neighborhood where I have seen anyone biking up the steep part. Few people walk it either. LOL. Unless they are getting off on the bus stop.

I detour back on to my street when I am walking up that direction too, even if my destination is on the other street. I try to avoid it as long as possible.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 AM

7,846 posts, read 5,288,217 times
I bike 6.5 miles each way to work. Greatest decision I ever made. I save roughly $150-$200 / month in gas, parking, and hidden vehicle expenses. I come into work relaxed and focused.

Only half of my trip has bike lanes. The rest are four lane divided arterials. I simply take the full right lane.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
my bike odometer passed 22222 miles. Had the same odometer since summer 2005 so it's a lot of years of biking adding up.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,519,126 times
Quote:
my bike odometer passed 22222 miles. Had the same odometer since summer 2005 so it's a lot of years of biking adding up.
Very cool, I should probably get one for my bike. Would be cool to see how many miles I put on it when I move back home.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:45 PM

I was a "bad bicyclist" yesterday. I rode without my helmut. It worked out to about 3 blocks of helmet-less riding. Selectively chosen. I had a hair appointment. And biked there and back, with a stop at the grocery between. After my appointment, My hair was still "settling" and the grocery store is was a short block away, on a street with limited and slow based traffic (lots of traffic calming with 2 stop signs and a bike lane that transitions to a sharrow). Knowing I was just going to bike a couple hundred feet, then walk my bike across the crosswalk to the bike parking, I thought it was an acceptable risk. Especially considering I'd be biking really slow, as the crosswalk covers a senior living facility.

Then on the way home, I used my helmet, except for the last 2 blocks. Why? Well my last 2 blocks are a hill. It was warm outside, and that hill makes my head hot. Considering my hair was freshly straightened, and I hadn't gone home to put the rest of my products in, I didn't want to "mess it up" for those 2 blocks. So the last two blocks of mine are iffy. And I typically use a short but steep parallel street to get home for block #1, walk my bike across and then walk or bike the last block, depending on my mood/circumstance.

As I mentioned, I was avoiding the hill. And this time I stayed on the sidewalk, pedaling slowly (no more than 5-6 MPH). This sidewalk isn't particularly busy with any traffic, but I did see another cyclist blow by me and have the nerve to look annoyed I wasn't speeding up the sidewalk. And she almost ran into the pedestrian. Another person in the opposite direction did the same.

I pedaled slowly, warning the pedestrian as I passed her. Then I dismounted at the crosswalk and she caught up. She commented on my lack of helmet! "You should be wearing your helmet, not hanging it on your bike!" I gave her the short version. She talked about a bike accident she had several years ago. We continued chatting as I crossed the street and commiserated about the hills. Then I biked up the last half block helmet free (slowly of course).

It was a very strange conversation. Of course, the other ladies going full speed on the sidewalk weren't wearing helmets.

Personally, I felt it was an acceptable risk for a couple of blocks and slow pedaling in this case. I was going far less than 8 mph.

Anyway it was a really interesting experience. My hair was safe.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM

^^You bad girl! Funny, I got my hair done on Tues as well. I can understand the feeling of wanted to keep that expensive hair style looking nice. Next time, drive to the hairdresser's!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^You bad girl! Funny, I got my hair done on Tues as well. I can understand the feeling of wanted to keep that expensive hair style looking nice. Next time, drive to the hairdresser's!
My hair dresser was like: "you rode your bike! You are going to have a very sensitive head! Get under the fan now!" LOL. I HATE driving there. It is only a mile away, and there is barely any parking (a storefront shop on a busy corridor, it can take 10 minutes to find a spot if I am not lucky. And they are 2 hours spots...I usually need 2 hours, and my appointment always seems to start at 3:30 or 4...no wiggle room. Meters end at 6.

I take the bus sometimes too. I guess I have to take the bus or walk over. Well scratch the walking that might leave me with pores that are too open!

Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My hair dresser was like: "you rode your bike! You are going to have a very sensitive head! Get under the fan now!" LOL. I HATE driving there. It is only a mile away, and there is barely any parking (a storefront shop on a busy corridor, it can take 10 minutes to find a spot if I am not lucky. And they are 2 hours spots...I usually need 2 hours, and my appointment always seems to start at 3:30 or 4...no wiggle room. Meters end at 6.

I take the bus sometimes too. I guess I have to take the bus or walk over. Well scratch the walking that might leave me with pores that are too open!
Well, yeah, that sounds like a pain (to drive). Bus next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning