U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:18 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,744,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yeah, that sounds like a pain (to drive). Bus next time.
Oh well! Back on my bike today! I biked to work (bike > train > bike).

I am one of those people who didn't want to bike to work because I didn't want to look like a bike commuter. Read this as:
I don't want to change my clothes
I don't want to get sweaty
I don't want to carry a backpack or messenger bag
I don't want to wear yoga pants and sneakers to work
I don't want to wear a safety vest looking outfit*
I don't want my clothing to get dirty

I had no idea that some of that was related to your bike, and other parts were related to your bike style.

I did bike to work day the other week, but I did wear a slacker outfit (my office is casual, I'm usually on the dressed up side, but that day I was at the casual end and perfectly in dress code). But today, I stuck with a more typical outfit for me. I had a cardigan, dress, and flats. I did make one concession though, since I had a 4.5 mile leg of my ride, I decided to wear shoes with an ankle strap vs my normal flats. Just in case. Since the path to work is a busier than my local streets. And not too many other people on bikes, so drivers are less aware or adjusted to bicyclists. The lanes are wide, but there isn't a bike lane. It is a sharrow most of the way. The last 4 blocks are "downtown." But this is a small city downtown, all though the roads are narrow, blocks are short, there are lots of traffic lights, and parking on both sides of the street, so people can't go too fast.

And back on topic. I am happy to see that there are more and more bike clothes targeted for "regular" riders and more clothing for women too. I think I am going to add a rain cape to my shopping list for the fall. Would be good for my bike and rainy season!

I am still trying to figure out the helmet hair problem. I have 2 issues, my hair is about chin length (so basically perfectly aligned with the helmet) and I also keep it relaxed, so I don't want to heat style daily just to deal with the helmet line. Still looking for a perfect scarf/headband solution that doesn't hog my whole purse. Today's headband was promising!

*I actually have a safety vest. I went for a fashion-y one. I know it sounds silly, but there is no way I can bike around in a regular one! My streets are well lit and packed with cyclists, so I use it for the unknown dark streets. Or if I am wearing a dark colored outfit. This is the "hip" brand for reflective clothing if anyone else is s inclined. It looks like stuff I would actually wear on a normal day. And that's the point!
Vespertine NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,121,304 times
Women's Wheat Reflective Plaid Bike to Work Shirt-Dress | Betabrand

Jade this too

Old 05-22-2014, 06:01 PM

The League of American Bicyclists has studied the root causes of bike fatalities, most of the time it is an infrastructure problem it looks like!
8 Takeaways From the Bike League’s Study of Cyclist Fatalities | Streetsblog USA

1. Most fatalities occur on urban arterial roads
2. The most common type of crash was being struck from behind
3. In urban areas, cyclists were more likely to be killed at intersections
4. Most victims were wearing a helmet
5. Penalties varied based on the age and gender of the victim
6. If more people bike in your state, you’re less likely to be killed

Interesting results, and it matches up with the issues we see locally (at least the intersections and arterials). How about in your area?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
That's cute, might be in the grey land in terms of length for work!

Here are some more options!

Functional and Fashionable Women's Bike Clothes | Iva Jean -

Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM

87,069 posts, read 102,785,508 times
^^Those seem a little casual even for Colorado offices!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,595,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The League of American Bicyclists has studied the root causes of bike fatalities, most of the time it is an infrastructure problem it looks like!
8 Takeaways From the Bike League’s Study of Cyclist Fatalities | Streetsblog USA

1. Most fatalities occur on urban arterial roads
2. The most common type of crash was being struck from behind
3. In urban areas, cyclists were more likely to be killed at intersections
4. Most victims were wearing a helmet
5. Penalties varied based on the age and gender of the victim
6. If more people bike in your state, you’re less likely to be killed

Interesting results, and it matches up with the issues we see locally (at least the intersections and arterials). How about in your area?
Number 6 is a really important factor. The more that bike, the more motorists are aware of cyclists on the road.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:30 AM

We still have work to do on the laws. This entire story is ridiculous and tragic from investigation to resolution.

No Charges for Driver in Death of Bicyclist Amelie Le Moullac | KQED News Fix

Old 06-02-2014, 05:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,100,107 times
In Leeds, UK, bike parking vs car parking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
These are starting to appear all over Leeds..

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,595,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That is really cute, in Portland businesses are often times in favor of removing the car parking in front of their stores for bike parking. It is amazing how many bikes you can fit in a single parallel parking spot.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I like these new school bike corrals. Our's aren't as cool but we do have some!

Bike corrals welcome cyclists to Oakland businesses | Live Work Oakland

There was a funny comparison about bike parking that has been artist designed. Anyway, we don't have cute bike parking, but as the story said....at least our parking gets used!

Oakland Streets: Bike Rack Art

There are some cute bike shape bike parking spots, in a parking space. But I walk by it every day and I never see a bike parked there. All are parked on trees and not in the bike rack! So odd!
Here is a link with a pic: http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?nid=2531
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning