U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,331,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The idea that cyclists have to be shielded from undesirable temperature, humidity and precipitation is a fallacy. The most important thing to shield cyclists from are cars.
100% agree. I commuted over 3000 miles on bike last year, and the only time I didn't ride was when I felt that I couldn't do so safely because of the risk of being hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
100% agree. I commuted over 3000 miles on bike last year, and the only time I didn't ride was when I felt that I couldn't do so safely because of the risk of being hit.
I am totally a fair weather biker, though I didn't mind biking in Portland rain, but I did know a number of people who biked no matter what. It was always a rare occasion when they didn't bike.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 AM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, good grief, follow along, would you? Here is your quote that I'm referencing:

Pray tell, what kind of "infrastructure" are you going to build to shield bikers from undesirable temperature, humidity, and precipitation? And how much is it going to cost?
LOL, a tunnel or a covered bike path!

Quote:
I think that is a good policy. I don't think people should be out biking during snowstorms. There's decreased visibility, snow removal probably not underway or just barely so.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:04 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,331,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I think that is a good policy. I don't think people should be out biking during snowstorms. There's decreased visibility, snow removal probably not underway or just barely so.
Yeah, it's not worth the risk. I've seen some really stupid bicyclists that are just asking to get hit.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am totally a fair weather biker, though I didn't mind biking in Portland rain, but I did know a number of people who biked no matter what. It was always a rare occasion when they didn't bike.
For most of my life I was a fair weather biker, putting my bike away in November and getting it back out in March. But the last five years I have extended the season to 12 months and really enjoy getting out when I can have the trails all to myself. I've always lived in college towns so I'm not the only one out year round. And getting back in shape in the spring is no longer an issue. I will admit that I don't mind riding in the cold and I don't mind riding in the rain, but I hate riding in a cold rain! And when I ride in the snow, it is in POWDER, not messy slush!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The idea that cyclists have to be shielded from undesirable temperature, humidity and precipitation is a fallacy. The most important thing to shield cyclists from are cars.
Agreed, but realistically few will want to bike in truly awful weather except for short weather. I waited for the bus in 10f and some wind. One could ride in that with the right gear but I wouldn't want to. A few mornings ago. Pouring rain and 40s is miserable and possibly dangerous. Light snow is actually not that bad. Back in college, I cycled in worse weather but the distances were shorter.

Maybe extreme, but point is for but the most hard core there are limits.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
One of the biggest downsides of biking in snowy winters is all the salt. It will corrode a bike faster than a car, as a bike has less protection. Winter roads are often full of horrible salty water / slush.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 AM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's not worth the risk. I've seen some really stupid bicyclists that are just asking to get hit.
I agree. There are bicycle/car accidents even in *good* weather, too many. In poor weather conditions, it's just riskier. And the car is always heavier than the bike.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM

27,169 posts, read 29,669,595 times
I hate how some people try to use weather as an excuse not to build infrastructure. Even in the worst weather cities, 6 months of the year have good enough biking weather.

Bike infrastructure is cheap, but what I didn't realize is how much the bike infrastructure actually makes the other users safer (car and pedestrian) and that seems like a win to me.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,563,164 times
It's not exactly safe to drive during extreme weather events either, one might even argue it's more dangerous to drive than bike or walk due to the damage such a vehicle can do when you hit something. I suppose I am spoiled from living in a city with remarkably good cycling/walking weather most of the year, but Minneapolis is one of America's greatest cycling cities, and many Scandinavian countries, who also get lots of snow, are the places with even more bike culture. They seem unconcerned with what the folks here think they should not be doing, and ride their bikes anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning