Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 07:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Two of the three local bike paths still have snow on them (the third is plowed by my town). Hopefully in a week it will melt, this is latest I can remember the snow lingering.
Heck, in my town they often clear the bike paths before they clear the roads! I think that's because kids use them to walk to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Heck, in my town they often clear the bike paths before they clear the roads! I think that's because kids use them to walk to school.
For the most part, Denver and its surrounding suburbs and towns are actually pretty good cities. I would consider that metro to be sort of like the Portland of the midwest.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For the most part, Denver and its surrounding suburbs and towns are actually pretty good cities. I would consider that metro to be sort of like the Portland of the midwest.
1. Please! If that's so, it's time to move to Wyoming!

2. Denver is NOT, NOT, NOT the midwest. The Great Plains, yeah, but NOT the midwest.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
1. Please! If that's so, it's time to move to Wyoming!

2. Denver is NOT, NOT, NOT the midwest. The Great Plains, yeah, but NOT the midwest.
My fault, I meant Mountain West, not Midwest.

Why would you need to move to Wyoming? I thought you liked where you lived? And from what I saw of Denver and the friends that I have that moved there would agree that Denver is the Portland of the Mountain West. That is a good thing, it is a very active, healthy city that continues to grow. The suburbs are very pleasant and livable, much like they are in the Portland Metro. And the rail and transportation in Denver is on track to be comparable to Portland's system.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
My fault, I meant Mountain West, not Midwest.

Why would you need to move to Wyoming? I thought you liked where you lived? And from what I saw of Denver and the friends that I have that moved there would agree that Denver is the Portland of the Mountain West. That is a good thing, it is a very active, healthy city that continues to grow. The suburbs are very pleasant and livable, much like they are in the Portland Metro. And the rail and transportation in Denver is on track to be comparable to Portland's system.
I like Denver/Louisville a lot. But I don't want it to be "the next Portland", and I think Denver is way ahead of Portland in many ways.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I like Denver/Louisville a lot. But I don't want it to be "the next Portland", and I think Denver is way ahead of Portland in many ways.
Denver is already a Portland, it is great that you think that it is way ahead of Portland in many ways, that just means it already reached that level Portland is at.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Denver is already a Portland, it is great that you think that it is way ahead of Portland in many ways, that just means it already reached that level Portland is at.
I don't want to be antagonistic, but what the hey? Denver is bigger, it keeps its schools open, and it's water is fluoridated.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I don't want to be antagonistic, but what the hey? Denver is bigger, it keeps its schools open, and it's water is fluoridated.
Denver is only 20-30K larger and about 300K larger on the metro size....but I wasn't talking strictly population when I said Denver was a Portland. Also, Portland keeps its schools open as well...not sure what that has to do with anything. Also fluoride in your water isn't something to be proud of....also, not what I was referring to when I said Denver is a Portland.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 PM

Schools Ending Year Early to Cut Costs - NYTimes.com

re: Portland
This has never happened in Denver in the 33 years I've lived here. That's shocking that a government would let things get that bad.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Schools Ending Year Early to Cut Costs - NYTimes.com

re: Portland
This has never happened in Denver in the 33 years I've lived here. That's shocking that a government would let things get that bad.
Yep, 10 years ago Portland was having trouble with their schools because they were in desperate need of restructuring. A lot can change in 10 years. I am sure Denver has had to deal with budget shortfalls as well.

Though I am not sure why you are so against Denver being like Portland, that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning