U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,957,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
As long as you look first it isn't that risky crossing most two lane urban streets.
Maybe other places are built differently but most two lane streets have enough traffic on them most of the day that crossing it at any point other than an crosswalk is pretty risky esp. if the street has a normal to higher speed limit(like most 2 way streets do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM

46,050 posts, read 30,334,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Maybe other places are built differently but most two lane streets have enough traffic on them most of the day that crossing it at any point other than an crosswalk is pretty risky esp. if the street has a normal to higher speed limit(like most 2 way streets do).
Not sure where you live that has two lane streets full of traffic, might be a good city to invest in a rail system and bike lanes to help reduce the traffic.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not sure where you live that has two lane streets full of traffic, might be a good city to invest in a rail system and bike lanes to help reduce the traffic.
I live in Chicago on the south side. We have rail in the form of Metra and an EL system that doesn't go past 95 street but the city goes to 130th! We have bike lanes(which are not used much)on roads that can barely fit them and the parked cars and we have busses. People just love driving. It is usually the most convenient way to get anywhere except downtown(and even then you may still need to drive). Oh by the way there is an car with a license plate that reads"No MO CTA" to give you an idea of what people who are forced to use transit think about it.

Last edited by chirack; 02-27-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,051 posts, read 43,416,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, there's two kinds of streets, woonerfs, and regular streets. Different rules for both as far as ROW could make it confusing. Apparently it works for them.
I think they sign them to warn drivers the rules change. Here we have yield signs to inform drivers when who to yield might not be obvious, and drivers are supposed to yield to pedestrians in marked crosswalks, so it might just one extra "drivers yield to pedestrians in woonerfs". Of course, all easier if drivers are familiar with them.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 PM

88,686 posts, read 105,078,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Multiple conversations going on at once.

Urbanlife wasn't discussing woonerf, he was discussing crossing streets midblock and brought up SoHo (downtown Manhattan) as an example and not walking in them. This one does have people walking in them, though it may be partially closed to through traffic:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=nassa...217.21,,0,9.37

Sounds plausible, but no idea if that's actually a common problem, especially not having seen the streets in person or only have a brief couple day tourist visit to the Netherlands.

This situation is occasionally created by pedestrians crossing against the light in Manhattan. Road is clear, crowd of pedestrians crosses against the light. Later a car comes, can't go because pedestrians are still crossing. Correct driver tactic is to move very slowly towards to the pedestrians to convince them to move out of the way. Don't yield to someone who looks like he'll enter the crosswalk against the light, or you'll be blocked.
Well, my comment still applies. (I probably forgot what I was responding to, LOL!) Kids can't safely cross streets like that (mid-block, w/o a light) b/c they can't estimate speed.

@AJNEOA: Here's some stuff about the physics of baseball. I'll keep looking for that sciam article.
HowStuffWorks "How the Physics of Baseball Works"
You could also look at some of the links in this article.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,051 posts, read 43,416,050 times
Quote:
I live in Chicago on the south side. We have rail in the form of Metra and an EL system that doesn't go past 95 street but the city goes to 130th! We have bike lanes(which are not used much)on roads that can barely fit them and the parked cars and we have busses. People just love driving. It is usually the most convenient way to get anywhere except downtown(and even then you may still need to drive). Oh by the way there is an car with a license plate that reads"No MO CTA" to give you an idea of what people who are forced to use transit think about it.
I wonder if the north side tends to be a bit more transit / pedestrian oriented in perspective?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I wonder if the north side tends to be a bit more transit / pedestrian oriented in perspective?
north side has many issues:

1. Lack of parking making auto use less attractive. Esp. as high rise buildings and duplexes may have no parking at all. Both north side and South side can suffer for lack of parking but the north side rubs it in when they tear down SFH to put up apartments/condos.

2. Narrow streets again making auto use less attractive

3. High income transplants who grew up in the burbs and find dense city living with an public transit system attractive/different rather than say lower income people who must ride transit due to no money. Trust me the baby momma that has to haul her kids on transit, change the diaper on the bus, and wait in all kinds of weather while having to deal with buses that may not run at all hours is going to have a different view than suburban kid who was tired of living an auto centric burb and calls or hails a taxi when it is convenient.

4. Office type workers rather than say factory workers, home health aids, nurses. People who work 9-5 in the loop and thus have less need of the car(because you would be insane to drive downtown during rush hour).If you don't need it for work that gets rid of 60% of the reason to have a car. If you need to go to someone's home to work driving is often the best choice.

5. Chicago's abandoned vehicle law that states you must move your car every 7 days if you use on street parking(which if you don't need the car for work, don't have or don't want to pay to park it then this can cause problems.) In addition to having to move the car, the car can be ticketed if it looks inoperable(broken windshield, flat tire, and a really good one is didn't clear the snow off the car for 7 days.). In other words if you park in Chicago you should really keep an eye on your car or else ticketed for $200 and towed for $200 more.

For office worker yuppie the car can become more hassle than it is worth. For South Side blue collar worker, odd shift worker the car enables fast, safe transit rather than risking crazy people(I have run into a few on the bus) and risking being mugged(or shoved off your bike) and helps with children and grocery shopping since everyone can't pay extra for peapod or pay the higher prices at the closest stores.

Last edited by chirack; 02-27-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,511,832 times
Quote:
From what I know of child psychology(took a course in it once).Children say aged 2-7 are in the preoperational stage. They are very egocentric and have difficulty seeing things from other points of view. I have personally had problems with children who are playing getting out of "Their" way when I have driven through the an alley not my way. In other words the child did move out the way but only a little out the way and is still too close for safety. Also children don't instantly grow out of it(i.e. it isn't uncommon for an 8-9 year old to regress a bit. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, my comment still applies. (I probably forgot what I was responding to, LOL!) Kids can't safely cross streets like that (mid-block, w/o a light) b/c they can't estimate speed.

@AJNEOA: Here's some stuff about the physics of baseball. I'll keep looking for that sciam article.
HowStuffWorks "How the Physics of Baseball Works"
You could also look at some of the links in this article.
Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. How Stuff Works isn't even close to a scientific article. Sheesh, that's almost as bad as The Atlantic Cities!!!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 PM

88,686 posts, read 105,078,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. How Stuff Works isn't even close to a scientific article. Sheesh, that's almost as bad as The Atlantic Cities!!!
It has a bunch of references, including some to The American Journal of Physics; Popular Mechanics (yeah, I know); The U of Sydney physics dept; University of Illinois (several); Scientific American; Discover; Penn State; and several others.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:46 PM

46,050 posts, read 30,334,004 times
Quote:
Yeah, I have been to Chicago, the Southside is much more different than the Northside. I have also crossed the street mid block in Chicago before, the key is to look before crossing.

As for Chicago's rail system, this has been in desperate need of expansion and has not kept up with the growth of the city and should be used as a tool to fix much of the problems of the Southside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning