U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:46 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having interconnecting neighborhoods also increases the traffic count in those neighborhoods. I've lived in both types of 'hoods; there's less traffic in the stand-alone ones. Sure, everyone would like a dry cleaner's in their neighborhood, with those solvents and chemicals all over the area. Great idea. I wouldn't mind a coffee shop, though! My neighborhood is connected to several others by bike/walking path.
Solvents and chemicals all over the area? Not sure what kind if dry cleaner you are referring to but I don't know of any that are spreading solvents and chemicals all over everything.

Looking at your neighborhood, the closest commercial space is about a mile to 1.5 miles away, which isn't something most would consider conveniently walkable.

I did notice the bike/walking paths, there looked like there was plenty of park land surrounding the neighborhoods, which is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 03:54 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Solvents and chemicals all over the area? Not sure what kind if dry cleaner you are referring to but I don't know of any that are spreading solvents and chemicals all over everything.

Looking at your neighborhood, the closest commercial space is about a mile to 1.5 miles away, which isn't something most would consider conveniently walkable.

I did notice the bike/walking paths, there looked like there was plenty of park land surrounding the neighborhoods, which is a good thing.
STOP TALKING ABOUT MY NEIGHBORHOOD! Did you notice all those posts were deleted? I'm concerned that someone like you shows such an interest in where I live!

Regarding dry cleaners:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62286460,d.aWc

Some are veritable toxic waste dumps.

http://www.tceq.texas.gov/remediation/programs.html

Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 PM

32,377 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Cars, bikes and pedestrians don't mix well on the same road.
Kids playing in the street aren't pedestrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Unless you live on an intersection, there's only two ways out most everywhere.
Good point. And if you live at an intersection, and it's blocked, there's still only one way out.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
STOP TALKING ABOUT MY NEIGHBORHOOD! Did you notice all those posts were deleted? I'm concerned that someone like you shows such an interest in where I live!
I apologize, with how much you talk about where you live, it wasn't hard to figure out. If you do not wish for people to talk about where you specifically live, then you shouldn't talk about where you specifically live in just about every post you do. Whenever we have a conversation on this thread the three places that come up all the time with you is Beaver Falls, Loisville, Co, and Denver. I was going to send this to you in a private message seeing it doesn't belong in this forum, but you have that disabled.

So again, if you don't want people knowing where you live, don't specifically talk about your exact neighborhood on this site. All one had to do is google where a specific treatment facility is to figure out exactly which neighborhood you were referring to.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Regarding dry cleaners:

Some are veritable toxic waste dumps.

Remediation Programs
I never said Dry Cleaners don't have EPA regulations they have to follow, I just question your thought that they are somehow coating all of their surroundings in solvents and chemicals. It is a pretty common business, I would imagine that they have a handle on how to deal with solvents and chemicals without coating everything around them in solvents and chemicals.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
I apologize, with how much you talk about where you live, it wasn't hard to figure out. If you do not wish for people to talk about where you specifically live, then you shouldn't talk about where you specifically live in just about every post you do. Whenever we have a conversation on this thread the three places that come up all the time with you is Beaver Falls, Loisville, Co, and Denver. I was going to send this to you in a private message seeing it doesn't belong in this forum, but you have that disabled.

So again, if you don't want people knowing where you live, don't specifically talk about your exact neighborhood on this site. All one had to do is google where a specific treatment facility is to figure out exactly which neighborhood you were referring to.
I realized I gave TMI and asked that all identifying information be removed (after you said you looked it up which I consider creepy).

Quote:
I never said Dry Cleaners don't have EPA regulations they have to follow, I just question your thought that they are somehow coating all of their surroundings in solvents and chemicals. It is a pretty common business, I would imagine that they have a handle on how to deal with solvents and chemicals without coating everything around them in solvents and chemicals.
I recently read an article that said some of the smaller local dry cleaners are very contaminated.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:15 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,350,485 times
Quote:

Many are just 'intake'. They take in the clothes and transport them [typically by truck or van] to another facility for dry cleaning. The clothes are then transported back [by truck or van] to the intake shop for the customer to pick up.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Many are just 'intake'. They take in the clothes and transport them [typically by truck or van] to another facility for dry cleaning. The clothes are then transported back [by truck or van] to the intake shop for the customer to pick up.
That works just as good as well.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
As for crossing midblock. Found via an online post by a friend who got it from Humans of New York:

Late last night I saw a man crossing 3rd Avenue, weighed down by two armloads of groceries. He didn't seem to notice that cars were coming in both directions. They began honking at him. Some slammed on their brakes. I waited for the man to realize his mistake and turn around, but instead he just plowed forward across four busy lanes of traffic. It did not seem like he was making any mental calculations-- it was just full speed ahead.
When he finally emerged on the other side, I approached him. "I'm just curious," I said. "Did you see those cars coming, and decide to go anyway? Or did you just suddenly find yourself in the middle of the situation?"
"It was an accident," he said. "I just found myself in some **** and had to keep going. Which, incidentally, is pretty much how I've lived my entire life."

Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Here's a old song about using the road sharing ( from European singers) for non-auto uses, or really non-transporation uses.

The Beatles- Why Don't We Do It In The Road - YouTube

Would have to be a rather empty for no one to be watching us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning