U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times

Advertisements

here's an example from Finland:

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=60.2...,5.96&t=m&z=11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,081,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Because the speed limit would have to be about 10 mph for that to happen. People on this forum were carrying on about how dangerous it was to have to walk through a strip-mall parking lot (which really is an example of cars sharing the road with peds) and the average speed in those lots is probably about 5 mph. I taught my kids how to cross the roads properly, including using the crosswalks, even if one wasn't painted on the intersection. I might remind you how long it would take for me to get the 4 1/2 mi to my work if the speed limit were 10 mph and I had to stop at all the lights. It'd probably take an hour! Your buses would have to travel at that speed as well.

"Even I acknowledged", LOL.
at 20 mph speed, 9 out of 10 pedestrians survive. AT 30 mph, this is 50%. At 40 mph, it's only 10%. 40 mph is WAY too fast for residential areas in cities and it encourages cut-through traffic. I think 25 is a good compromise and is most appropriate for residential areas. For driving under a mile to get to a main road, 25 mph is plenty fast. In many parts of the developed world, residential speeds are 25-30 KPH, so don't complain...

Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
at 20 mph speed, 9 out of 10 pedestrians survive. AT 30 mph, this is 50%. At 40 mph, it's only 10%. 40 mph is WAY too fast for residential areas in cities and it encourages cut-through traffic. I think 25 is a good compromise and is most appropriate for residential areas. For driving under a mile to get to a main road, 25 mph is plenty fast. In many parts of the developed world, residential speeds are 25-30 KPH, so don't complain...
Scuse me? Where do you get that I'm complaining about a 25 mph speed limit in a residential area? And 9 out of 10 survivors means that one dies, 10 out of a hundred.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-18-2014 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,267,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Cobblestone streets definitely slow a vehicle down.

Cobblestone will do the job. Or in this case brick.
Traditional masonry has a natural calming effect, and beautifies the city street.

Asphalt removal before and after

Fantastic results
Attached Thumbnails
Shared Pedestrian Streets and Traffic Calming-domstraat-utrecht.jpg  

Last edited by cisco kid; 06-18-2014 at 09:06 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 12:53 AM

17,407 posts, read 21,249,654 times
Quote:
Downtown areas and areas where their are a high mix of pedestrians, it makes sense to have speed limits below 15mph.
No matter what the speed limit is, drivers generally go 5-10MPH over the limit anyway.

We have an unusually high incidence of pedestrian deaths here in Las Vegas due to our 45MPH speed limits on the major avenues, and I dare you to find anyone in this racey town not doing 50-55-60MPH on those streets, and the danger is compounded by 3 lanes in each direction, and an island lane in the middle.

Many times, trying to cross over these 7 lanes, without a crosswalk, I've misjudged these "racers" in this city, and by the time I'm to Lane 7 and curb I'm all but run over!

I'm currently reading the book Speed Tribes, about the gangs in the Tokyo area. For fun, these gangs will clog up an expressway some night, not allowing anyone to pass them, and laugh away, with horns honking, inching along at 5MPH! We need that here in Las Vegas, from time to time!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,533,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No matter what the speed limit is, drivers generally go 5-10MPH over the limit anyway.

We have an unusually high incidence of pedestrian deaths here in Las Vegas due to our 45MPH speed limits on the major avenues, and I dare you to find anyone in this racey town not doing 50-55-60MPH on those streets, and the danger is compounded by 3 lanes in each direction, and an island lane in the middle.

Many times, trying to cross over these 7 lanes, without a crosswalk, I've misjudged these "racers" in this city, and by the time I'm to Lane 7 and curb I'm all but run over!

I'm currently reading the book Speed Tribes, about the gangs in the Tokyo area. For fun, these gangs will clog up an expressway some night, not allowing anyone to pass them, and laugh away, with horns honking, inching along at 5MPH! We need that here in Las Vegas, from time to time!
That is where light timing comes into play and not building seven lane roads with high speed limits in high pedestrian traffic areas. Though Vegas isn't actually a normal city so I wouldn't really count it as the same as what I was referring to.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:24 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,081,823 times
Quote:
Scuse me? Where do you get that I'm complaining about a 25 mph speed limit in a residential area? And 9 out of 10 survivors means that one dies, 10 out of a hundred.
By "you" I didn't mean you personally, but the generic "you," should have used "one" or "anybody" ... sorry for the misunderstanding.

Obviously, reaction time (for drivers AND pedestrians getting out of the way!) and stopping distance factors in to this as well, so you would also have less pedestrians getting hit in the first place. AND on top of this a lower fraction of fatal collisions.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:14 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
That is where light timing comes into play and not building seven lane roads with high speed limits in high pedestrian traffic areas. Though Vegas isn't actually a normal city so I wouldn't really count it as the same as what I was referring to.
Any street that is busy enough to need traffic lights is not a candidate for "woonerf", IMO.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Any street that is busy enough to need traffic lights is not a candidate for "woonerf", IMO.
Agreed. But I think they were talking about lower speed limits on commercial streets, not mixing cars and pedestrians in the street.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:40 AM

27,171 posts, read 29,681,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

That sounds pretty amusing as long as they don't "ghost ride the whip."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning