Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then a driver is just gonna have to wait for a pause in the game, I am sure the locals are aware of this when driving around and plan their routes of driving accordingly.
LOL, sure, when there's only one way out of the neighborhood, or all the outlets are jammed with kids playing, they can just wait around for a few hours until the game is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL, sure, when there's only one way out of the neighborhood, or all the outlets are jammed with kids playing, they can just wait around for a few hours until the game is over.
Well it looked like it was for the side streets that you park on, and not so much the main roads that you get around on, so the biggest issue you would have to deal with is the kids on the street in the neighborhood, not much different than what you deal with now.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Looks like Complete Streets are trending. There is a new senate bill authored by reps from Alaska and Hawaii. States not exactly known for dense urbanism.

People-friendly streets: They’re not just for big cities anymore | Grist

Old 03-01-2014, 12:38 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If you live on a side street, you need to "get around" on it.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Most side streets have two ways in/out... Anyways, I'm not convinced this would be a common issue. If you really think it would be common, I'm sure you could make the rules that pedestrians who are travelling along/across the street have right of way, while people who are just staying put and not going anywhere should get out of the way.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Might be helpful if someone who lives where those are common could chime in.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Most side streets have two ways in/out... Anyways, I'm not convinced this would be a common issue. If you really think it would be common, I'm sure you could make the rules that pedestrians who are travelling along/across the street have right of way, while people who are just staying put and not going anywhere should get out of the way.
Most side streets have parking for cars and a sidewalk. I can see requiring a sidewalk, but no people really should not be in the same road as 600-2000 pound cars. Too dangerous.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:17 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Based on your description, it sounds like your neighborhood was poorly designed.
It is pretty common to have only one way to access your street. esp. in the burbs. Where I live most side street are one way. So the only ways to access your place are side streets going one way and Alley and although you can park in a garage, you can't park in the alley. You could use the some of the cross street but then again find parking and would you want to walk an half block with groceries or other items?

I personally can't figure why on earth would anyone be willing to be out in the street with a 600 pound car. Even at 5MPH it is going to hurt. At night and in poor weather conditions a driver might not see you and small children might not be visible in time to prevent an accident. I can see if the street was built too narrow to have a sidewalk and the choice is between tear down houses or do not have cars but ah this is not a good idea.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
It is pretty common to have only one way to access your street. esp. in the burbs. Where I live most side street are one way. So the only ways to access your place are side streets going one way and Alley and although you can park in a garage, you can't park in the alley. You could use the some of the cross street but then again find parking and would you want to walk an half block with groceries or other items?
As to the last question, often don't mind.

Quote:
I personally can't figure why on earth would anyone be willing to be out in the street with a 600 pound car. Even at 5MPH it is going to hurt. At night and in poor weather conditions a driver might not see you and small children might not be visible in time to prevent an accident. I can see if the street was built too narrow to have a sidewalk and the choice is between tear down houses or do not have cars but ah this is not a good idea.
Cars going that slow can see what's in front. It's not risk-free, but neither is current street construction. Places that have shared streets don't seem to have a higher accidents, all the links I've found suggest they have a lower accident rate.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post

I grew up in the suburbs and we played in the streets, cars aren't mindless monsters that run over everything in their paths. Children shouldn't be playing in the streets at night or bad weather, I know we had to be home before the street lights came on.

Personally I think most suburban neighborhoods are poorly designed because they have only one or two ways in and out of them, and usually rely on those same limited ways in and out even if you are on foot, which discouraged walkable communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning