U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,039,041 times
Reputation: 8970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Of course. Ownership trumps renting. If I own for 1 second, and you rent for 1,000 years, my rights are still legally greater than yours.

What right do you have to decide what Someone Else can do with Their Property? Exactly how are your rights over Someone Else's Property legally greater than mine?

If ownership trumps renting, doesn't that invite and promote class warfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 AM
 
1,258 posts, read 622,212 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
When is the last time that "the blacks" have burned and looted?
A few days ago in Ferguson...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2016, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Holly Neighborhood, AUSTINtx
3,582 posts, read 5,307,643 times
Reputation: 2205
Since Spike now resides in New York maybe he should take in Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver as a reference as to how far NY was come:

Travis Bickle: All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk *******, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. I go all over. I take people to the Bronx, Brooklyn, I take 'em to Harlem. I don't care. Don't make no difference to me. It does to some. Some won't even take spooks. Don't make no difference to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 08:49 PM
 
9,520 posts, read 14,816,131 times
Reputation: 9769
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Since Spike now resides in New York maybe he should take in Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver as a reference as to how far NY was come:

Travis Bickle: All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk *******, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. I go all over. I take people to the Bronx, Brooklyn, I take 'em to Harlem. I don't care. Don't make no difference to me. It does to some. Some won't even take spooks. Don't make no difference to me.
I'd think he might be more familiar with the 1989 Do The Right Thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Holly Neighborhood, AUSTINtx
3,582 posts, read 5,307,643 times
Reputation: 2205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I'd think he might be more familiar with the 1989 Do The Right Thing
That's too bad because Taxi Driver was a better movie. My point being that compared to the urban nightmare that certain parts of NY were back then, today's city is practically nirvana. When he goes on anti-gentrification rants he might take into consideration that the number of murders 40 years ago was over 4 times what it is today, and that's with 1 million more people living there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2016, 04:37 PM
 
429 posts, read 316,841 times
Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
That's too bad because Taxi Driver was a better movie. My point being that compared to the urban nightmare that certain parts of NY were back then, today's city is practically nirvana. When he goes on anti-gentrification rants he might take into consideration that the number of murders 40 years ago was over 4 times what it is today, and that's with 1 million more people living there now.
But you're assuming gentrification is the only way to improve safety, which is not the case. There could have been an effort to improve safety while maintaining some of the working- and middle-class culture in Manhattan and not displacing so many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Holly Neighborhood, AUSTINtx
3,582 posts, read 5,307,643 times
Reputation: 2205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
But you're assuming gentrification is the only way to improve safety, which is not the case. There could have been an effort to improve safety while maintaining some of the working- and middle-class culture in Manhattan and not displacing so many people.
Never said it was the only way, but judging from the examples of NY and DC it is the most effective way. Amazing thing about the latter example is that crime did not get exported to the suburbs of MD and VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 AM
 
4,900 posts, read 1,829,078 times
Reputation: 4640
I pay little attention to what Spike Lee says. It seems he can only see things through his BLACK and white lens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,058 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Never said it was the only way, but judging from the examples of NY and DC it is the most effective way. Amazing thing about the latter example is that crime did not get exported to the suburbs of MD and VA.
One also tends to beget the other. I mean, you even see that in Detroit. Midtown $200-300k 1bd condos sell like hotcakes while go half a mile away and you can't sell a house for $20k. The hardest part in finding a house out there for 10% of what a condo would cost is finding who to buy it from. In most cases they're foreclosed or just simply abandoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 11:40 AM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,039,041 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Actually, that's true. If someone owns their home, then the renters are out of luck. Whether they have owned for one day or 100 years is irrelevant.

Only the renters IN the home the newbie bought. What superpower does a new arrival have over renters in Other People's Property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top