U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 01:34 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,652,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
@ AJNEOA: Actually, my experience living in residential neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and Denver is that it's pretty quiet most of the time, similar to the suburbs. That's the reality. But good grief, I've seen people post that they thrive on all the city noise, couldn't STAND living in the burbs b/c it's too quiet, etc.
Everyone is different, when I was younger and single, I enjoyed being on the edge of downtown Portland and being able to walk to the bars or take cab rides for cheap so I wasn't drinking and driving, but moving back I will prefer a little bit quieter of an area that still has commercial main streets that are in walking or biking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 PM

261 posts, read 334,416 times
The long term benefits to the city of having an interstate run thru it far out weigh the inconveniences of constructing that interstate.

A town without an interstate is a town left behind.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 PM

87,132 posts, read 102,944,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

And I would disagree. There are plenty of sidewalkless suburbs in the Northeast, but there are plenty of suburbs with sidewalks in the Northeast. From what I remember, most of your experience of Northeastern suburbs are of Pittsburgh or upstate New York, which aren't reflective of the entire Northeast. (Over half the population is concentrated near the coast, which is built up differently in many ways.) About half of Long Island has sidewalks nearly everywhere, and in the rest the usual is that sidewalks are only omitted on smaller residential streets. Same is true in many north Jersey suburbs, and Philly ones (from what kidphilly said). Boston is a mix, but again further out the smallest streets skip sidewalks. The Pittsburgh pattern of even pre-World War II suburbs lacking sidewalks sounds odd to me, I haven't seen much of that.

Of the southeastern US, I have little personal experience, but from what I've heard and seen from the internet, sidewalks were much less common there than any other part of the US. Even many city propers have streets that lack sidewalks.
Well, I have been to other places in the NE besides Pittsburgh and Albany. I've also lived in Wilmington, DE, though I can't remember if the burbs there had sidewalks or not. We didn't live in a traditional suburb, nor did we live in the city there. But I've been around a bit. My BFF lives in the DC burbs of VA, there are no sidewalks in her subdivision. So let's say, sidewalks are less common in the NE. It always cracks me up when someone posts some picture of the west, including parts of Nevada, Utah, Arizona and California (all of which have been posted), carrying on about "sprawl", only to see sidewalks everywhere.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-08-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 07:27 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,608,777 times
A lot of cities are starting to leave behind their interstates, preferring access to their waterfront and reclamation of valuable downtown land instead.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,203,848 times
Quote:
It always cracks me up when someone posts some picture of the west, including parts of Nevada, Utah, Arizona and California (all of which have been posted), carrying on about "sprawl", only to see sidewalks everywhere.
Why?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:09 PM

87,132 posts, read 102,944,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Why?
Because they are supposedly examples of major "car dependency".

Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,203,848 times
Quote:
Because they are supposedly examples of major "car dependency".
Sidewalks are examples of car dependency? Why would you say that?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,608,777 times
The presence of sidewalks does not preclude sprawl. The retail "power centers" in the new parts of my city technically have sidewalks, but they are all on the outer edges of huge parking lots and adjacent to busy h8gh speed streets with many curb cuts. So it's a very inhospitable place to walk, even if there is technically a sidewalk.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,210,715 times
Sidewalks say little about car dependency. There could be little or nothing besides other houses in walking distance.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 PM

27,170 posts, read 29,808,315 times
Quote:
So let's say, sidewalks are less common in the NE. It always cracks me up when someone posts some picture of the west, including parts of Nevada, Utah, Arizona and California (all of which have been posted), carrying on about "sprawl", only to see sidewalks everywhere.
You can have sidewalks and sprawl at the same time. San Jose is a great example of this. There are sidewalks everywhere,but nobody wants to walk on the Lawrence expressway when strip malls are 1 mile apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning