U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM

2,941 posts, read 3,857,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Being tested every 10 - 15 years seems pretty reasonable though. That's a cost that should be accepted IMO, considering that close to 40,000 people die every year from automobiles...in 2013. That's not even accounting for the injuries and permanent damage there is to people in accidents.
Here you would only get one if you got enough moving volitions before your license got renewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
It looks like Illinois is the only state to require a road test for drivers over a certain age, in their case, 75. Some states may require one for certain drivers.
State by State Look at Driving Rules for Older Drivers

Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,558,119 times
I haven't had to re-take a driving test in 20 years, and only one eye exam, and that's in regulation-happy California.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Usually you don't have to. I had an eye "exam" the last time I got my license renewed which consisted of me reading six letters with each eye. So maybe I have had a driving test. The test was if I could get out of the DMV parking lot without hitting anything/anyone.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,328,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Usually you don't have to. I had an eye "exam" the last time I got my license renewed which consisted of me reading six letters with each eye. So maybe I have had a driving test. The test was if I could get out of the DMV parking lot without hitting anything/anyone.
That's funny. I was biking home from downtown in January, and I was riding on a 2 1/2 lane road (2 lanes of traffic, a half lane which is parking, but no one parks there). I was riding all the way to the right, next to no traffic and in the middle of the day, when I hear a car slow down behind me. All of a sudden the car speeds up and he turns RIGHT in front of me (right hook). Luckily, I was prepared and slammed on my brakes. It was a cop car turning into the DMV...

Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,986 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
My mom has gone to the Manhattan DMV (for renewal?) It has no parking lot, of course, she doesn't think there's anything strange about that (why should it have a parking lot?) Google claims it's here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dmv+n...77.03,,0,-3.92

Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 AM

2,941 posts, read 3,857,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My mom has gone to the Manhattan DMV (for renewal?) It has no parking lot, of course, she doesn't think there's anything strange about that (why should it have a parking lot?) Google claims it's here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dmv+n...77.03,,0,-3.92

Depends on the purpose of the DMV. Downtown Chicago has an express one and there are some more in town. They don't do drivers test for new drivers there but they do everything else that does not involve a test drive. i.e. Renewal, vision screen, ect..

Old 03-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This bill is making its way through Congress.

S.2004 - 113th Congress (2013-2014): Safe Streets Act of 2014 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

The sponsors are not who you'd think it is popular in red and blue states and the AARP is a major proponent.

More info: New Senate bill would make America

What do you think about the complete streets movement?
The link is interesting. I even looked at the slide show to learn more about this shared streets business. You will note in the picture of "shared streets" at the beginning of the link that the kids are walking on a sidewalk, not down the middle of the road. The slide show says "shared streets" aren't all the same, and it gave just one example of these wernoofs or whatever they're called in the Netherlands. They do emphasize sidewalks, bike paths, paved shoulders for biking, narrow streets and wider streets, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Making streets "safer" by keeping pedestrians as far as possible from the street is very old-fashioned thinking, based on the "traffic engineer" mentality that the safest street is one with wide lanes and no obstructions so cars can drive as fast as possible. But that isn't what makes a safe street--and it's the opposite of a complete street.

Why isn't "jaydriving" a thing?
You should look at the slide show.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
The interesting thing to me is that Illinois, arguably the most corrupt state in the country, actually has some good driving laws. When I first moved to IL I had a PA driver's license, and I still had to take a driving test as well as the rules of the road test. Plus, as I posted above, they do periodically test people on the rules of the road, and "At age 75, drivers must take a road test and eye exam to renew a license. At age 81, drivers must renew every two years instead of every four and at age 87, they must start renewing annually". (From my link)

Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,986 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

You should look at the slide show.
where is the slide show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or