Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I guess. I was just pointing out the the only way the EL can beat a car is with rush hour traffic. Once that clears out you will get there considerably faster by car.
Okay, you have stated that many times for Chicago. I will take your word for it, but that has nothing to do with what I was mentioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, you know. . Drive to work, drive home from work, swill beer, watch DWTS, rinse, lather, repeat! Go out to eat at Chili's once a week, go to the local cineplex, wife swapping, etc.
Wait ... what? Wife swapping??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Odd. I don't remember many chain restaurants in suburbia. Maybe it's a southern thing?
My little 'burb has a McDonald's and two Dunkin Donuts. So there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But they're not most of the restaurants, are there? Is there a shortage of non-chain restaurants?
No, the chain restaurants just have the biggest signs because they have bigger marketing budgets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
As a child yes, every child's world is small, but there comes a time when you start venturing out on your own in your teen years. Teens in the suburbs get cars as soon as they can afford them is because there is a lack of transit options, which means unless you want to sit around all day in your suburban neighborhood, you are gonna try to get a car as a teenager.
Wrong again. This suburban girl learned to use the bus and ferry system available to me by age 12. And even in cities, transit doesn't go everywhere.

No matter where you live, you're going to be limited by transportation; some locations are simply less limiting than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Then again, the TGI Fridays in Midtown is always packed too...
Say it ain't so!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wrong again. This suburban girl learned to use the bus and ferry system available to me by age 12. And even in cities, transit doesn't go everywhere.

No matter where you live, you're going to be limited by transportation; some locations are simply less limiting than others.
I have no idea where you grew up. Maybe you grew up in a suburban area that was connected to a metro that had an excellent bus system and ferry system...not many suburban cities I know have a ferry system.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wait ... what? Wife swapping??
Hey, Bucks County, PA counts as suburban. Though I only heard stories, no reliable knowledge.

Quote:
My little 'burb has a McDonald's and two Dunkin Donuts. So there.
Mine actually has THREE Dunkin Donuts, though still only one McDonalds.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
not many suburban cities I know have a ferry system.
I would imagine unless they were attached to large enough body of water, a ferry would be quite ridiculous.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Except NYC and Chicago (to some degree with the Red Line) utilize express trains which allow people to live further out and still have a similar commute time as someone who lives closer in.
Well for San Francisco, most of Berkeley and Oakland are closer to downtown SF via transit than the western neighborhoods. By car half the time too. It is easily a 25 minute drive to downtown from the Sunset, and an hour by transit in the outer parts. 15-20 minutes from the middle of Oakland. The far side if Oakland is about 30 minutes and Berkeley falls in between.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In Florida it is iMPOSSIBLE to use. We need Monorail Suspended Type transportation here to make sense of the newly acquired distances thanks to the ENDLESS SPRAWL! We have it in Miami for a VERY small portion in downtown, but in reality, this type of transportation should be everywhere.

Bridges over 6 lane roads, and covered stations leading in stores etc.

It is sad that private billionaire investors don't understand how many people WILL end up using it if it was built with brains. Unfortunately it is "better" to hold money hostage in Swiss banks than HELP the American population commute better!

Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well for San Francisco, most of Berkeley and Oakland are closer to downtown SF via transit than the western neighborhoods. By car half the time too. It is easily a 25 minute drive to downtown from the Sunset, and an hour by transit in the outer parts. 15-20 minutes from the middle of Oakland. The far side if Oakland is about 30 minutes and Berkeley falls in between.
Really? I would have never guessed that.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Also, the places I posted are not unused space in the middle of a town, they are both very active squares in a very active city. Also, both the squares I posted do have roads around them, though in Europe you have a better chance of finding a town square surrounded by buildings instead of roads.
Parking lots aren't unused either. But you are so offended by the function you want parking lots eliminated even when located in useful places such as in or around the courthouse.

Quote:
The square in Portland is across the street from the courthouse building.
Seems like a good location for a parking lot. You would be complaining if it was an actual parking lot.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Parking lots aren't unused either. But you are so offended by the function you want parking lots eliminated even when located in useful places such as in or around the courthouse.

Seems like a good location for a parking lot. You would be complaining if it was an actual parking lot.
Pioneer Courthouse Square use to be a parking lot long ago. Also, that isn't a county courthouse so it doesn't have the same amount of volume the other courthouse has in downtown. Also there are plenty of parking garages within walking distance, which are basically stacked surface parking lots.

Having a square in the middle of downtown dedicated to pedestrians is much better than a surface parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning