U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 08:41 AM

27,171 posts, read 29,674,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, the other thing is that the energy cost per passenger mile using an automobile vs. mass transit has plunged since 1970. It used to be that a passenger mile using a car used twice as much energy as mass transit. According to a new DOE study, it's now somewhere around a 1:1 ratio, thanks to improved gas mileage.
This doesn't account for space efficiency. Most cars are single passenger. Let's say a bus is the size of 3-4 cars, and carries 20 people. You end up with much less congestion and shorter trips. Transit is more efficient in terms of road usage (and parking). That's not a great land use policy. Passenger miles doesn't rally account for all transit effciencies at all ends. Even the most avid drivers leave their cars parked somewhere most of the time, creating a lot of space for car storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM

27,171 posts, read 29,674,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Haha. No, you can still be very SWPL. However, the list for someone entrenched in bourgeois upper middle class black culture (or "SBPL" if you will) looks different.
Love Jones (check)
Hookah (check) - tried it a handful of times, I have some Arab friends.
I'm relaxed
Alvin Ailey (check) - gone once
Baked/grilled/sauteed chicken (check) - I eat chicken in all forms, you might have to switch this to sushi or Thai
Esperanza Spalding/John Legend/Janelle Monae albums (check)
VH1 Soul (check)
Jack & Jill - nope, my mom thought it was a snooty club and she never joined. I fail the paper bag test, so I would have probably been dissed anyway (my mom is from a poor rural family so she didn't qualify when she was younger).

Now I lost even more points

Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Love Jones (check)
Hookah (check) - tried it a handful of times, I have some Arab friends.
I'm relaxed
Alvin Ailey (check) - gone once
Baked/grilled/sauteed chicken (check) - I eat chicken in all forms, you might have to switch this to sushi or Thai
Esperanza Spalding/John Legend/Janelle Monae albums (check)
VH1 Soul (check)
Jack & Jill - nope, my mom thought it was a snooty club and she never joined. I fail the paper bag test, so I would have probably been dissed anyway (my mom is from a poor rural family so she didn't qualify when she was younger).

Now I lost even more points
You have about 1,000 points. Alvin Ailey, VH1 Soul, Love Jones and Esperanza Spalding sealed the deal. That's the equivalent of a SWPL sitting in a Nob Hill coffeeshop typing away furiously on the latest MacBook Air while enjoying a nice cup of chai.

Quote:
Recently VH1 Soul commissioned a viewer profile study to better understand the demographic and psychographic make-up of the VH1 Soul audience. The online study surveyed 1,000 VH1 Soul viewers in the top 10 African American markets and showed that VH1 Soul viewers are young, affluent and educated individuals that are well versed in technology and are true music-lovers.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-55941452.html

Last edited by BajanYankee; 03-12-2014 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now, we've been down this road before, too! I've lived in a number of old cities. None had residential areas inside the downtown shopping areas. There are always a few people living "above the store", etc, but no, even old cities have distinct living and shopping areas. Ditto everywhere I've seen in Canada and Europe.
That sounds off.

In all but the smallest cities anywhere, most people don't live near center city shopping areas. That doesn't mean the center city shopping areas have few residents nor that the main shopping area is single-us. Boston's main center city shopping area (Back Bay) has row houses with a block or two area. Similar is true with Philadelphia, New York City. There are still plenty of residents in the vicinity. Doubt many places in Europe would be any different.

Quote:
Access.
If a spouse is off at work or anywhere similar with the car, there's no access.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 AM

12,924 posts, read 8,751,901 times
What I don't get is why most companies don't promote changing work hours for people. I think companies should come up with a way to stagger their employees or depts to different shifts.

9-5 is possibly the worst work hours. Companies should allow people to come in from 7-3, 8-4, 9-5, and 10-6 shifts.

In my dept that I managed 4 people. I have 2 guys that come in early 8-4 and 2 guys that come in 10-6 and everything is working great for us. The 2 early guys wants to leave early so they get to come in early to avoid rush hour traffic. The other 2 have kids and want to drop off their kids so they come in later.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What I don't get is why most companies don't promote changing work hours for people. I think companies should come up with a way to stagger their employees or depts to different shifts.

9-5 is possibly the worst work hours. Companies should allow people to come in from 7-3, 8-4, 9-5, and 10-6 shifts.

In my dept that I managed 4 people. I have 2 guys that come in early 8-4 and 2 guys that come in 10-6 and everything is working great for us. The 2 early guys wants to leave early so they get to come in early to avoid rush hour traffic. The other 2 have kids and want to drop off their kids so they come in later.
I believe there has been some experimentation with that in DC, with the federal workforce, anyway. It seems to have just spread out rush hour.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-12-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 AM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That sounds off.

In all but the smallest cities anywhere, most people don't live near center city shopping areas. That doesn't mean the center city shopping areas have few residents nor that the main shopping area is single-us. Boston's main center city shopping area (Back Bay) has row houses with a block or two area. Similar is true with Philadelphia, New York City. There are still plenty of residents in the vicinity. Doubt many places in Europe would be any different.

If a spouse is off at work or anywhere similar with the car, there's no access.
IME, in Pittsburgh, Denver, Champaign, even little Beaver Falls, PA where I grew up, there was no housing right downtown. I supposed it depends on what one means by "downtown", as yes, I suppose some say they live in d/t Beaver Falls, meaning a particular part of the city (built on several hills as it is), but they didn't live in the main shopping area, which comprised several square blocks, when I was a kid anyway. Denver has some hip condos in d/t now (on the edges, I will add), but didn't 30 years ago when we moved here. Pittsburgh is the same I believe, with new condos d/t, but nothing in what one would really consider downtown when I went to college there, which is before most posters on here were even born!

Agree that in one car households, or any household where the number of cars is less than the number of members, that access is diminished if some are off somewhere with their cars. My mom used to take my dad to work on special days when she wanted/needed the car for something. My brother, mom and I then all shared a second car after we kids were driving and we worked it out. (Mom had priority, natch!) As I said earlier, the Denver version of Zipcar (I think e-go) states in their literature that one should have some backup plans for times when a car is needed immediately.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:22 AM

2,941 posts, read 3,859,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

That is not possible for all jobs. Some jobs require a min. number of people present at all hours(like say X number nurse per patient in the hospital). Some jobs must be done by a certain time. Some require other people be present at the same time.

I had a job that had staggered hours but it was more like 7-3 and 8-4 and very few 9-5 and some stuff could not be done past about 4:00 due to some people not being present. For like an office it is possible to stagger times but not everyone works in an office.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM
PJA

2,392 posts, read 2,481,329 times
Because I don't have 4 hours a day to spend on the bus or at bus stops.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:09 AM
PJA

2,392 posts, read 2,481,329 times
Public Transportation is limited transportation. You're limited to where you can go, when you can go, how long it takes to get there, what you can carry or bring on, what you can do etc. If I want to up and go to the mall... (its 1:05 pm now) I would have to wait until the next bus ran at 2:00. I could go there and back by the time the bus has come. Going to work...riding the bus would force me to get up an hour earlier and get home at least an hour and a half later..maybe more....and then if you factor in having to stop at the store everyday due to having no car that would be an extra 30 minutes.

The bottom line is mass transit is not more convenient in most cases and in most cities. Only places like NY have convenient public transportation. Even if I moved to Atlanta or Dallas, I would still use my car most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or