U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 05:15 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,323,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's a big assumption. This winter was one of the coldest on record for the Great Lakes region, that situation isn't really typical most winter days. I lived in upstate NY for a number of years, and yes managed to be outside and get around by foot. First, being a 20 minute walk from a bus stop isn't a particularly convenient situation, most regular transit users would live close. I walked to a bus stop on a morning with a -6F windchill. Both Toronto and Montreal have a higher transit usage and walking rates than most American cities, the weather doesn't cause much hindrance. Three weeks of morning with a -25F looks like hyperbole:

Weather History for Jamestown, NY | Weather Underground
The temps weren't -25, but the wind chills were -- much too frequently. This was absolutely the worst winter for cold and wind that occurred in Upstate NY in decades. Most of the grape crop in Upstate NY was lost because of the record cold, and it's likely fruit production will be down, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 AM

6,371 posts, read 5,991,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I would but Virginia is atrocious; have to wait 30 min to an hour for a bus even in the heart of the city. Used to waiting 5 to 10 minutes during peak times back in Ohio.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,272,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I would but Virginia is atrocious; have to wait 30 min to an hour for a bus even in the heart of the city. Used to waiting 5 to 10 minutes during peak times back in Ohio.
And If you thought Norfolk's transit was bad... The bus system here makes Norfolk look like NYC

Old 03-30-2014, 12:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
And If you thought Norfolk's transit was bad... The bus system here makes Norfolk look like NYC
Honolulu's bus system has 7 times the ridership of Richmond's with a smaller metro population (about 2/3rds).

Old 03-30-2014, 12:39 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,856,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Honolulu's bus system has 7 times the ridership of Richmond's with a smaller metro population (about 2/3rds).
Islands often have compact cities and terrain issues that can make a car less practical. I know I have been the the Florida Keys and they were using golf carts to drive around the island.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,326,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
They also live in very moderate/mild climates. Spending 20 minutes walking to a bus stop and then waiting for a bus in 10 degree temps with a 20 mph wind creating a -25 degree wind chill will disabuse even the most ardent transit support of his/her love of buses if he/she has to do it every work day for a couple of weeks. That's the kind of February and March that a lot of the Great Lakes area has suffered through this winter.
Who's "they"? You're making some big assumptions IMO.

I biked in 9 degree weather three times this last winter (and countless times in the 20s), as well as 97 degree weather last summer (and countless times in the lower 90s). Neither time was I the only bicyclist; far from it. How about all the people taking buses in Boston in the winter or buses in New Orleans in the summer? If anything, it's the 20 minute walk you mentioned that's the bigger problem (20 minutes will only be done by those with no choice for the most part), not the weather.

Btw - Plenty of people take buses in Rochester too. Even if it's cold and snowy.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:25 PM

895 posts, read 927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What if my workout routine consists of the following:

Benchpress
Squats
Lunges
Lat Pulls
Calf raises
Full court basketball
Swimming
A set of tennis
except...it doesn't...as a gym-goer, i know the drill. you cannot do the same thing over and over. you need variety, either to challenge to body or just to stop getting sick of it because the body will reject routine over time. bike riding adds variety to the resume. it also allows one to enjoy scenery.

the one thing the author forgot to mention is that bike riding can make you sweaty, expose you to rain or snow (creating accidents or making you wet), and the dangerous sun (enjoy skin cancer and/or accelerated aging) and if you use sunblock, well then you are already greased up which feels nasty. oh, you still have to pay with money and time to maintain the bike (put air in the tire, greasing up the wheels, etc.). this usually means you need to shower unless you are willing to work in sweat the whole day, even if you don't stink. that takes time and more resources.

i live here in brooklyn, ny and i use the train and bus. when it snows or a hurricane comes by, i laugh. i own nothing and do not care about maintaining anything. i pay $116 a month to ride the train and bus as much as i like. i split that with my girl (when i come home, she goes out and uses the metrocard) and we get great value out of it. to be fair, no transit system in america is as good as that of NYC and having a car here is actually very cost-prohibitive...so yes, we have it easy in that regard

Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,499,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Virginia in general is pretty much a joke when it comes to transit. I am amazed they even have Metro in NoVa. Though as bad as it is in Richmond, I think Virginia Beach is the worst where you have a better chance of spotting a unicorn than a bus. And if you do catch a bus, don't expect it to take you where you are going without having to go way out of your way to transfer to another non existent bus.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 PM

27,164 posts, read 29,645,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post

the one thing the author forgot to mention is that bike riding can make you sweaty, expose you to rain or snow (creating accidents or making you wet), and the dangerous sun (enjoy skin cancer and/or accelerated aging) and if you use sunblock, well then you are already greased up which feels nasty. oh, you still have to pay with money and time to maintain the bike (put air in the tire, greasing up the wheels, etc.). this usually means you need to shower unless you are willing to work in sweat the whole day, even if you don't stink. that takes time and more resources.
Well to be honest, bicycling doesn't have to get you sweaty. I know from experience. I have a "slow bike." I might feel a little warm after riding a few miles, but not anything like sweaty. No worse than strolling around on a warm day. Today I rode 8 miles with my errands. I did need to take off my sweater for part of the ride, and comb out my helmet hair, that was about it. After a minute or too to cool off from the light perspiration on my brow, I was all back to normal (one chunk of my ride was up a gradual hill for about a mile near my destination).

Things like air in your tire and bike maintenance are pretty minor and take a few minutes. Pretty cheap, even if you are allergic to grease like me. Maybe $100-120 a year. Basically free if you are mechanically inclined.

As for sunblock? I take it you haven't used any in a while. They have come a long way and feel like regular lotion.

I probably wouldn't want to ride uphill in the middle of a humid summer. But a bike ride is actually nicer than strolling in the humidity. There is no rule that in inclement weather you can't use another mode of transit, it isn't all or nothing.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:57 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,499,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't think many people outside New York would put up with the Standing Room Only conditions on their subway system.
In Portland it is common to have to stand during rush hour on the trains because they are often times crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or