U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 02:33 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Because, of course, nobody ever gets delayed in heavy traffic on the freeway in the Bay Area.
Of course they do (though that link came from Fruit and Nutland North, AKA Portland). BUT, I would never arrange child care so I'd be 20 min. late every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post

I know that plenty of people take buses in cold snowy areas, but that doesn't mean that they like doing it. I took buses for a couple of years when I worked in downtown Albany because I didn't have a parking permit. Getting free parking working at a suburban site was a major impetus to my changing jobs.
Meh. Just because it bothered you doesn't mean others feel the same way. After a point, the weather's miserable, but what can you do? Lock yourself inside the whole day and never come out? There's a few posters from California, other than that, I haven't seen much of a pattern.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Meh. Just because it bothered you doesn't mean others feel the same way. After a point, the weather's miserable, but what can you do? Lock yourself inside the whole day and never come out? There's a few posters from California, other than that, I haven't seen much of a pattern.
Or just get into a car and drive to your destination. We don't have any stats on the number of people who choose to drive rather than take PT due to crummy whether, but I'd imagine it's not insignificant.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 PM

27,166 posts, read 29,665,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No. But nobody is stupid enough to say you can just pull over and have a beer while the traffic dies down and it's no problem. Now, I do do that since I'm the demographic for which light rail is really built for (single, no kids, no responsibilities beyond my own). I can wait around in San Francisco from 4 until 7 when traffic dies down, have a couple beers, and get some work done.

That doesn't mean I don't think it's a problem and everybody can just have a beer while they wait. Also a reason why most businesses are located to the suburbs where the traffic isn't AS bad as it is in San Francisco.
But the thing is, transit to SF is actually pretty predictable (well as long as you are coming from/going to outside of SF). I have had plenty of coworkers over the years (who were parents) who managed just fine via transit to pick up their kids on time. During my 3 years of taking the bus or train to SF, I was only delayed more than 10 minutes a few times. Definitely less than 10. Once was when someone threatened to shoot someone on the Bay Bridge (so obviously the drivers were dissed too). Another day there was an incident in the PM on the bridge (I don't recall what it was). And there was another day where someone was running around the roof of BART that caused a delay. I don't remember the other ones. But it was pretty rare. Definitely not enough to worry about. Most of the time, the bus arrived within 5 minutes of the scheduled time.

On the other hand the drive time could easily range over a 30 minute spread for a myriad of reasons. And my current commute is the same, I have a 30 minute spread. Usually it takes me 45 minutes, but it has taken up to 30 minutes more. And 10 minutes less. IF I hypothetically had kids to pick up at 6, I'd need to leave at 4:15 or 4:30 since the driving time is so unpredictable. One of my coworkers just started to leave at 3:30, just to ensure she makes it home before 6 to pick up her kids (she drives since transit is really really inconvenient from her vantage point in SF to get to our Peninsula office.)

Old 03-31-2014, 02:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Or just get into a car and drive to your destination. We don't have any stats on the number of people who choose to drive rather than take PT due to crummy whether, but I'd imagine it's not insignificant.
Well a car is still being inside. My point was: if weather is such a big deal, you could just choose never to be outside and avoid uncomfortable weather, and stay indoors all day. But at some point being inside all the time gets be a bit much.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But the thing is, transit to SF is actually pretty predictable (well as long as you are coming from/going to outside of SF.
It's not necessarily about predictability. If you get off work at 7, and need to be somewhere by 7:30, the predictability of transit may not matter in that instance. You simply need the fastest means of transportation and that's usually a car. That's why so many people drive them. They get you from Point A to B very fast.

Even in Washington, DC, which is supposed be the 2nd or 3rd most transit-oriented metro after NYC, I would drive into work when I really needed to be somewhere afterwards.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Considering the number of extra accidents, particularly early in the rainy season around here, taking a trip that doesn't require the roads is much more predictable.

It also depends on your vantage point in terms of transit connections.

Of course we "only" have rain, and it has little impact on my choice of transit or not. What it impacts more is my willingness to walk around outside the whole time. Since December is typically a rainy month here, and if those rainy weeks are piling up, I'd go shopping in SF to go to the indoor mall (taking the train) over going to the closer outdoor shopping center. Because I hate managing both bags and an umbrella.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It's not necessarily about predictability. If you get off work at 7, and need to be somewhere by 7:30, the predictability of transit may not matter in that instance. You simply need the fastest means of transportation and that's usually a car. That's why so many people drive them. They get you from Point A to B very fast.
Well it depends. For example, if I need to be anywhere in SF between the hours of let's say 4:30 and 7:30. I am going to make sure I plan to take transit unless I have 2 hours to spare for driving time. The amount of time to take transit to SF is predictable and shorter. I would rather drive home, and take the train then drive to SF from my office (I work 30 miles from SF and 30 miles from home). Since it is super congested, it is basically the same amount of time to just drive to the train station close to home, if not shorter, than driving up from my office to SF (takes 90 minutes...if you are lucky during those hours vs 45-50 for me to drive home, or possibly an hour if the traffic is awful, and 20 minutes on the train.)

Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Considering the number of extra accidents, particularly early in the rainy season around here, taking a trip that doesn't require the roads is much more predictable.
In the real world, things don't always work like that. If I couldn't leave the office before a certain time (usually 7:30 or 8pm), there was no way transit could get me to my intramural basketball games in Northern Virginia by 8:00. So it was far easier to just drive into work and drive to my games on those days. Had I taken transit, I would have been walking into the gym as we were shaking hands with the opposing team.

Quote:
It also depends on your vantage point in terms of transit connections.
I've always asked people how many transit routes beat out driving in the DC metro area. I think I even started a thread about that in the DC forum. There aren't too many. If pure speed is really what you value, then driving makes sense 90% of the time. It's just that driving is not a practical option for many commuters since it costs so much.

Quote:
Of course we "only" have rain, and it has little impact on my choice of transit or not. What it impacts more is my willingness to walk around outside the whole time. Since December is typically a rainy month here, and if those rainy weeks are piling up, I'd go shopping in SF to go to the indoor mall (taking the train) over going to the closer outdoor shopping center. Because I hate managing both bags and an umbrella.
Cold would definitely affect your decision to commute via transit if you work somewhere like Bethesda, which you could just as easily drive to.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Well it depends. For example, if I need to be anywhere in SF between the hours of let's say 4:30 and 7:30. I am going to make sure I plan to take transit unless I have 2 hours to spare for driving time. The amount of time to take transit to SF is predictable and shorter. I would rather drive home, and take the train then drive to SF from my office (I work 30 miles from SF and 30 miles from home). Since it is super congested, it is basically the same amount of time to just drive to the train station close to home, if not shorter, than driving up from my office to SF (takes 90 minutes...if you are lucky during those hours vs 45-50 for me to drive home, or possibly an hour if the traffic is awful, and 20 minutes on the train.)
Isn't DC more congested than San Francisco? DC is supposed to have the worst traffic in America.

I never found transit faster in that city even though heavy rail is much more extensive there than it is in SF. Metro was useful for going downtown to see the Wizards play. It was also useful for commuting into the CBD and not paying $20+ for parking. Otherwise, I would drive most places because it was simply much, much faster than transit (even during rush hour). Metro would probably delay trips more often than traffic would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or